PDA

View Full Version : trail registers

mingo
01-31-2006, 13:47
for all you folks contemplating an '06 thru-hike, please give us all a break when you write in the trail shelter registers. it's great to leave messages for others behind you or to make note of something entertaining that has happened to you or to jot down your philosophy of life. but no one cares how many miles you walked that day, or what you ate for dinner, or how many dumps you took, etc, etc. let's try to stick to things that might have at least some interest to others. in addition, there's no need to praise, thank or otherwise mention jesus in the registers. for that, get off the trail and go to church on sundays or say a little prayer (silently). how would you like it if a devil-worshipping thru-hiker wrote down how much he loves satan?

Lone Wolf
01-31-2006, 13:51
Did the ATC put you in charge of register content?:rolleyes:

bulldog49
01-31-2006, 13:51
I guess I did not get the memo announcing you were the official Czar of Trail Registers, Mingo.

mingo
01-31-2006, 14:00
yes, as a matter of fact, i am in charge of register content. baltimore jack is in charge of everything else

Jack Tarlin
01-31-2006, 14:02
Hey, leave me outta this!

Yer on yer own here, Mingo, I got enough troubles.

snowhoe
01-31-2006, 15:44
Please dont tell me what I can write in the trail journells. If I wanted to have someone tell me what to do I would have stayed at work.

QHShowoman
01-31-2006, 16:17
The neat thing about trail registers is that you don't need to read them if you don't want to...or just skip over the entries you find boring or just plain silly.

Kind of like this BBS.

mingo
01-31-2006, 17:02
if i want to skip over the dumb entries, wouldn't i have to read some of them first to know that i want to skip over them?

sleepwalker
01-31-2006, 17:10
The hike belongs to the person hiking. It's their perrogative what they would like to share with others. You don't have to take what they are giving. I, for one, appreciate the stories and experiences of others. I think it enriches the hike for me. When I leave the trail, it's not just the memories of the walk that I take with me...it's the people I walked with.

Maybe authors should stop writing the books you don't want to read as well.

wacocelt
01-31-2006, 17:12
for all you folks contemplating an '06 thru-hike, please give us all a break when you write in the trail shelter registers. it's great to leave messages for others behind you or to make note of something entertaining that has happened to you or to jot down your philosophy of life. but no one cares how many miles you walked that day, or what you ate for dinner, or how many dumps you took, etc, etc. let's try to stick to things that might have at least some interest to others. in addition, there's no need to praise, thank or otherwise mention jesus in the registers. for that, get off the trail and go to church on sundays or say a little prayer (silently). how would you like it if a devil-worshipping thru-hiker wrote down how much he loves satan?

You sir, are an asshat.

mingo
01-31-2006, 17:13
The hike belongs to the person hiking. It's their perrogative what they would like to share with others. You don't have to take what they are giving. I, for one, appreciate the stories and experiences of others. I think it enriches the hike for me. When I leave the trail, it's not just the memories of the walk that I take with me...it's the people I walked with.

Maybe authors should stop writing the books you don't want to read as well.

it enriches your hike to know that somebody walked 20 miles, ate a burrito, took a dump and went to sleep?

mingo
01-31-2006, 17:18
You sir, are an asshat.

no need for name-calling.

BW2006
01-31-2006, 17:18
Mingo, Some thru hikers ARE interested in other hikers information. It's your choice to skip over any entries that have info you don't want to read. Hike your own hike is the motto here and that includes the registers. The only thing I think we should keep in mind when writing in them is that sometimes children will read them. Otherwise freedom of speech is the name of the game in this country.

sleepwalker
01-31-2006, 17:22
You gotta know that there is usually more content than that. And the content you describe is a gross exaggeration. The entries in the register nearer to springer are often exhuberant entries written by new hikers. I don't think anyone should be denied their enthusiasm. Even if it seems less than useful to you. If you walk a little further down the trail, the messages take on a different tone as their hike unfolds. But I just see it as a way for people to introduce themselves to people they might meet along the way.

weary
01-31-2006, 17:40
Well, I suppose someone should say a good word for Mingo. Since no one else is volunteering, I guess it's up to me. Shelter registers are public documents, read by scores, hundreds, of hikers who follow.

I find the registers fascinating, especially those at the shelters near the end of most thru hiker adventures in Maine, when thru hikers try to explain their feelings after 2,000 plus miles.

Like Mingo, I find most interesting those register entries that tell of feelings and trail excitement, rather than messages about a final Ramen meal or miles hiked, or poops taken.

Yeah. Folks are right. There are no rules. Write whatever you want. All Mingo is suggesting -- as am I -- that some folks write more interesting items than others. My suggestion is to write whatever you would most enjoy reading should you happen on a register again -- perhaps a year later, perhaps in some future trail museum.

If you think you would find it most fascinating to read your account of multiple bowel movements, by all means so post. Write whatever you find most interesting. Just recognize that often that requires a moment or two of reflection before pulling out your pencil.

Weary

D'Artagnan
01-31-2006, 17:41
As someone who normally solo hikes, I enjoy reading about others' experiences with the same ground I've just trod -- no matter how mundane. Until we are no longer a republic and free to share our views, I hope people continue to write whatever they feel. Thank you for your views to the contrary, Comrade Mingo. Dos Vedanya! :rolleyes:

mingo
01-31-2006, 17:44
well said, weary

gargamel
01-31-2006, 18:13
for all you folks contemplating an '06 thru-hike, please give us all a break when you write in the trail shelter registers.

As I'll start my hike 2 weeks from now I'll gladly accept every suggestion you have to make regarding my entries in shelter registers. Perhaps you could come up with some sort of list with topics you are especially interested in. Feel free to e-mail me prepared entries and don't forget to mention in wich particular register the entry should be made. Because it's possible you won't be able to make out my handwriting I will print out your prepared entries and stick them into the register.
If I may be of any other use to you please don't hesitate to tell. :D

wacocelt
01-31-2006, 18:30
Well, I suppose someone should say a good word for Mingo. Since no one else is volunteering, I guess it's up to me. Shelter registers are public documents, read by scores, hundreds, of hikers who follow.

I find the registers fascinating, especially those at the shelters near the end of most thru hiker adventures in Maine, when thru hikers try to explain their feelings after 2,000 plus miles.

Like Mingo, I find most interesting those register entries that tell of feelings and trail excitement, rather than messages about a final Ramen meal or miles hiked, or poops taken.

Yeah. Folks are right. There are no rules. Write whatever you want. All Mingo is suggesting -- as am I -- that some folks write more interesting items than others. My suggestion is to write whatever you would most enjoy reading should you happen on a register again -- perhaps a year later, perhaps in some future trail museum.

If you think you would find it most fascinating to read your account of multiple bowel movements, by all means so post. Write whatever you find most interesting. Just recognize that often that requires a moment or two of reflection before pulling out your pencil.

Weary

Weary, had he been a bit more eloquent and alot less condemning then I guarantee he wouldn't have recieved the vitriol that he did. He didn't suggest anyhting, he voiced predjudiced opinions and made demands of strangers.

RITBlake
01-31-2006, 18:31
for all you folks contemplating an '06 thru-hike, please give us all a break when you write in the trail shelter registers.

yo mingo, duck! incoming!

Skidsteer
01-31-2006, 18:32
The neat thing about trail registers is that you don't need to read them if you don't want to...or just skip over the entries you find boring or just plain silly.

Kind of like this BBS.

Sort of like TV, the internet, or radio.

Heck, I don't even mind the odd Boy Scout story, if it's well told.

SalParadise
01-31-2006, 18:56
hey how about instead of registers we only allow multiple-choice questionnaires:

Date:

My trail name is ___________

I am a:
___day hiker
___section hiker (under 500 miles)
___section hiker (500+ miles)
___thru-hiker

I have had a (circle one) good fair bad day today.

My current emotions are as follows (check all that apply):
__happy __excited __depressed __scared __nervous

I've been recently bitten by a:
a. bear
b. deer tick
c. snake
d. mosquito or black fly
e. all of the above
f. none of the above

Additional information:
*please refrain from including any information that could reveal mileage accomplisments, sex, race, religion, bowel information, affiliations. Actually, please include no additional information.

Peaks
01-31-2006, 19:50
I'm surprised that Jack didn't say more.

In short, the shelter registers are read by many people. Best advice is not to write anything that you wouldn't want your mother to read.

sleepwalker
01-31-2006, 20:03
Geez, I wish I could have hiked 20 miles today and a burrito really sounds good right now, too bad I'm constipated. I can't sleep...

Knees
01-31-2006, 20:24
hey how about instead of registers we only allow multiple-choice questionnaires:

Additional information:
*please refrain from including any information that could reveal mileage accomplisments, sex, race, religion, bowel information, affiliations. Actually, please include no additional information.

The thought of pizza and beer helped drive me to hike from <blah> shelter to town! Nowhere near as crazy as <hiker> and his hike in from Kincora, but not all of us are that insane! Those burritos from the Mexican place coupled with the beer at Dot's and the shake at Dairy King sure had my system messed up though (don't worry I dug a cat hole, the privy's safe!). <blah> celebrated her birthday with <blah partner> and you should have seen the humorous and cute production they made out of "going to take a nap." Gotta love hiking with couples! It's a shame that a church run hostel has such problems with stealing and shady characters. <hiker> caught up with us when we zeroed at Dave's and told us his latest story about having to wait forever for a hitch while all the white people got rides almost right away. It sucks that **** like that happens.

Note to <hiker>: <other hiker> needs to get a mail drop at <blah> on the <date>, so we'll be averaging 15mpd until then--hope to see you! Hey Short Bus Unit, where are you guys?

Jack Tarlin
01-31-2006, 20:25
Peaks: The reason I didn't say anything is because you pretty much just said it.

The only things that bother me in registers are, in no particular order:

1. People who whine about Trail Maintenance but have never done any.
2. People who slag other hikers with comments they wouldn't dare make to
the other guy's face.
3. People who gossip and whine about how other hikers hike, like who's
jumped ahead, who took a blue-blaze to town, etc.
4. People who use profanity. Registers are read by kids, little old
ladies, and especially by locals, who don't appreciate gutter language.
What Peaks said above is exactly on the mark.

Lonesome Polecat
01-31-2006, 20:43
Thanks Mingo, Jack, & Weary.

Never gave a thought about carrying a gun until I read this thread. Don't wanna hear your crap, see your crap, or hear a cell phone ring.

Be respectful. Get your head around the concept that there's people out there that know a lot more than you do. So quit being disrespectful.

Smile on your brother. . . and shuttup!!! :mad:

digger51
01-31-2006, 20:55
Mingo. please feel free to follow me along the trail and read my entries in the journals. If they don't meet your standards be sure to let me know on Wb next winter and I will consider not writing the same things the next time.

wacocelt
02-01-2006, 02:03
Thanks Mingo, Jack, & Weary.

Never gave a thought about carrying a gun until I read this thread. Don't wanna hear your crap, see your crap, or hear a cell phone ring.

Be respectful. Get your head around the concept that there's people out there that know a lot more than you do. So quit being disrespectful.

Smile on your brother. . . and shuttup!!! :mad:

Where are all the grumpy old men coming from? You're actually (i hope jokingly) threatening people with a gun about some register entries? What the hell is happening to this site?

atbeatle
02-01-2006, 05:22
I enjoy ALL comments except expletives, and I have over a dozen of my registers returned from my 82 thru hike

MedicineMan
02-01-2006, 07:45
if hikers would bring to a shelter a blank register every now and then....if you do that they consider it carte blanche to write whatever and how much you want.....

Lone Wolf
02-01-2006, 07:46
I enjoy using pages of registers for fire starter. Then I like to burn the rest of the register once the fire is big. I can't wait to hit the trail in March. There will be no registers.

khaynie
02-01-2006, 08:03
Mingo,

Were your only intentions to start a controversial thread in order to see how many views and replies you could squeeze out of it? If so, good job. But surely you don't want the creative hikers who can draw and have crazy opinions to stay out of the shelter registers do you? After a few weeks on the trail, reading bizarre entries truly become a good source of entertainment - no matter what the content...

MOWGLI
02-01-2006, 08:40
To this date, my favorite register entry ever was "Ode to my Nipples" which was written by a young female hiker in the Full Goose Shelter in Maine in August 2000. It whipped one of my college aged hiking companions (Funk n Wagnalls) into a frenzy. When he saw the authors picture at the Kennebec House, it only served to rile him up further. It was hilarious.

Moxie or Weary, if one of you could find that register in the MATC offices and post that poem here, I promise you, it will become an instant Whiteblaze classic.

hopefulhiker
02-01-2006, 08:57
I look forward to trail registers.. In 2005 there was a lot of good art work by Gypsy Lulu and some funny cartoons by Snowman.. You have to take the bad with the good....

Hikes in Rain
02-01-2006, 09:16
To this date, my favorite register entry ever was "Ode to my Nipples" which was written by a young female hiker in the Full Goose Shelter in Maine in August 2000.

Um, any way we could get you to copy that one here?? If you do, I might be pursuaded to transcribe "Pack With No Frame" (sung to the melody of America's Horse With No Name) I photographed out of the Big Spring shelter log.

Peaks
02-01-2006, 09:25
I enjoy using pages of registers for fire starter. Then I like to burn the rest of the register once the fire is big. I can't wait to hit the trail in March. There will be no registers.

I usually don't criticize what others post, but Wolf, posts like this are totally uncalled for.

weary
02-01-2006, 09:30
To this date, my favorite register entry ever was "Ode to my Nipples" which was written by a young female hiker in the Full Goose Shelter in Maine in August 2000. It whipped one of my college aged hiking companions (Funk n Wagnalls) into a frenzy. When he saw the authors picture at the Kennebec House, it only served to rile him up further. It was hilarious.

Moxie or Weary, if one of you could find that register in the MATC offices and post that poem here, I promise you, it will become an instant Whiteblaze classic.
MATC's jurisdiction starts at Grafton Notch and goes to Katahdin. AMC maintains from Grafton Notch south. I have no idea what it does with it's registers once they are filled.

MATC official policy calls for the club to place all registers in shelters under its jurisdiction and to retain the registers after they are filled. But this is a hard policy to police.

A few years ago someone "stole" all the registers in western Maine to the consternation of thru hikers who lost all contact with those ahead of them. Rumors said the villain was someone writing a book.

Weary

Lone Wolf
02-01-2006, 09:46
I usually don't criticize what others post, but Wolf, posts like this are totally uncalled for.
You need to lighten up. You're too anal. Maybe I shoulda put some smiley faces after my post to show you I was just hav:) in fun. This is a stupid thread.

Bilko
02-01-2006, 09:51
mingo, one of the problems with registers is that most of us want, or think we are great writers and that surely everyone wants to read our entry.

While we are on the subject. How do the registers get into the shelters? Who picks them up when full and what is done with the registers? I have seen in some registers that some one will request that when the register is full to mail it off to some place. Has anyone every wrote a book on entries into registers. I think that would be an interesting bit of information. I know alot of questions, but its the only way I can learn.

kyhipo
02-01-2006, 09:58
okay!now that we have a csar in charge of the registers,whats next tent inspectors:rolleyes: ky

QHShowoman
02-01-2006, 10:04
if i want to skip over the dumb entries, wouldn't i have to read some of them first to know that i want to skip over them?

I can skim the first few words of an article and within seconds, decide whether or not it's something I want to continue reading. Of course, if the entire entry is "I pooped today," you are pretty much out of luck in the skimming department.

BW2006
02-01-2006, 10:14
I maintained the Brien Memorial Shelter in Harriman Park for three years. There was no register there when I started and I made a point of always keeping one there with the directions to send back to me when it was empty. I would usually leave one close to empty there for quite a long time (months) and start a new one just to make sure all hikers had the opportunity to benefit from information from previous hikers. It usually only needed changing late in the year. It always got sent back to me and I always sent "goodies" back to the person sending it as a thank you.

I sent one register to "Tucson" and one to "Light Brite" and another off to someone esle. These were all hikers who had thru hiked the trail and I figured they would be interested in having them as a momento of their trip.

It was great to read the entries and be in contact with the thru hikers and see what is going thru their minds during their long days hiking. It was certainly entertaining when they were witty or complained. I would feel bad when they would criticise the shelter and it's maintenance because twice a week I would drive 1 1/2 hours to the park. Then hike in 2 1/2 miles to carry out other peoples trash. It's amazing what can happen to a busy shelter in a matter of days and I know it was never thru hikers leaving the mess.

The only entries that bothered me were the ones that used very bad language and spoke openly about sexual practices and drugs. I don't mind hearing that kind of talk in person but I felt bad for people and especially children that would read those messages and get a bad taste in their mouths for hikers. I am a scout leader and I bring scouts to the shelters from time to time. It's sad when they see that kind of stuff.

I think it's really important that we as hikers and me as a thru hiker this year make an effort to put forth a good front when in public eyes.

wyclif
02-01-2006, 10:20
This is a classic:

http://doylehotel.com/_wsn/page9.html

Unless you can write something that is genuinely funny, I wish hikers would stick to useful information:

Warnings about critter infestations in the shelters
Warnings about water sources
Heads-ups about bears
Warnings about crazy townies at the next road crossing
Heads-ups on good Trail Magic
Heads-ups on AYCEs in the next town
Warnings about crazy hikers
Locations of friends zeroing or neroing nearby

mingo
02-01-2006, 11:36
Peaks: The reason I didn't say anything is because you pretty much just said it.

The only things that bother me in registers are, in no particular order:

1. People who whine about Trail Maintenance but have never done any.
2. People who slag other hikers with comments they wouldn't dare make to
the other guy's face.
3. People who gossip and whine about how other hikers hike, like who's
jumped ahead, who took a blue-blaze to town, etc.
4. People who use profanity. Registers are read by kids, little old
ladies, and especially by locals, who don't appreciate gutter language.
What Peaks said above is exactly on the mark.

but what about jesus, jack? should hikers observe the separation of church and trail? unfortunately, some hikers don't believe in jesus and we wouldn't want to offend them, would we?

Lonesome Polecat
02-01-2006, 11:46
Hopefully when we meet on the trail we both have enough sense to know what's appropriate in what we say to each other. In Trail Registers, funny stories we can all relate to, or something relevant to the hike, are good things. But what's appropriate in conversations isn't always appropriate in a Register for all to see. The Trail is a sacred place. It, and all those who maintain it, deserve our reverence and respect.

Don't mean to preach. I get raunchy when my wife isn't around. Just don't like the all too prevalent "Beavus and Butthead" attitude, that everything goes, everywhere, all the time.

Yep! I'm jus a grumpy ole sumbitch! Can't help it! :D

Footslogger
02-01-2006, 12:03
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Not talking about content so much as I am volume. In 2003 we had a few hikers who wrote multi-page dissertations in the registers. It was annoying at first but in looking back, most of us began to look forward to them. I'm not going to name names but anyone here at Whiteblaze who was on the trail in 2003 knows what I am talking about.

'Slogger

mingo
02-01-2006, 12:35
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Not talking about content so much as I am volume. In 2003 we had a few hikers who wrote multi-page dissertations in the registers. It was annoying at first but in looking back, most of us began to look forward to them. I'm not going to name names but anyone here at Whiteblaze who was on the trail in 2003 knows what I am talking about.

'Slogger

i was on the trail in '03. there were some very entertaining entries. leapyear, i recall, used to squash giant mosquitoes on the page and comment on their enormity and blood-sucking capacity. i thought that was funny.

Jaybird
02-01-2006, 12:43
Yo Mingo:

Why upset about the registers?
Calm down, dude! :D

HIke your own hike...write your own write!

Gray Blazer
02-01-2006, 13:02
I like to read the registers. Props to the people who maintain and change them. Keeping them in a giant baggie helps to keep them readable. I actually met the " Hermit of Big Bald Shelter", a really nice guy. He walks up the Big Bald Creek Trail from his house to clean the shelter and he changes out the log every once in a while. He's still trying to hook up with Motorcycle Mama (so if you're out there get in touch with him). Lone Wolf, the Mormons make a nice small Book of Mormon (And I'm not trying to be sacreligious) thats small and light weight and if you are in a fix because of heavy moisture, the pages make great kindling. I speak from experience. If I did not have my Book of Mormon with me that one night, I never would have gotten that fire started. It makes for good reading, also.

jmaclennan
02-01-2006, 14:38
mingo, you wouldn't happen to work for the fcc, would you? maybe i'll write my entries in satellite registers. down with terrestrial registers! it would have been better to merely suggest people get creative. i have standards too, but maybe mileage, food, and dumps is the best some hikers can do. besides, if i'm trying to catch a friend, it helps to know their mileage. i get good food ideas from hearing what others eat. reading about dumps is funny (if you have a sense of humor).

slogger, you wouldn't happen to be referring to the guy who wrote, "I somehow have to avoid the knot of partying losers...Personally, I wish they would skip the rest of the trail and go home. You don’t have to be a purist to realize the darn trail is being overrun with cheaters who are calling themselves thrus when all they are is section hikers. If the only way you can keep up after lying in a bar for 5 days is to yellow blaze, then go home. They’re giving the rest of us a bad reputation. Yes, I’m pissed as hell that I’m one of only a few dozen that will have really done the trail. Hike your own hike somewhere else."

Footslogger
02-01-2006, 14:44
slogger, you wouldn't happen to be referring to the guy who wrote, "I somehow have to avoid the knot of partying losers...Personally, I wish they would skip the rest of the trail and go home. You don’t have to be a purist to realize the darn trail is being overrun with cheaters who are calling themselves thrus when all they are is section hikers. If the only way you can keep up after lying in a bar for 5 days is to yellow blaze, then go home. They’re giving the rest of us a bad reputation. Yes, I’m pissed as hell that I’m one of only a few dozen that will have really done the trail. Hike your own hike somewhere else."
======================================

Hmmmm ....now I wonder who on earth would ever say a thing like that! Wouldn't be someone who would sleep under a shelter ...would it ??

'Slogger

jmaclennan
02-01-2006, 14:54
yes!!! the harpers creek shelter in fact. how do i know? cause he wrote a gem in that register i couldn't help but write down. it goes a little something like this...

"came in at 1:30 am beaten and hypothermic. If the bones in each foot were not broken before, they are now. The only thing worse than the rain is the constant shivering. The shelter is full so I crawled under it to stay dry. The dirt doesn’t matter much since I got filthy from all my falls. Soon as someone leaves I will put down my bag and warm up and sleep. Finding it very hard to focus my thoughts. Second worse night so far after the ridge after Pearisburg. Some people are telling me to take a week or two off the trail, but what good would it do? After two weeks I started hiking without the friends I had been with. They are the main reasons I stay on the trail. I doubt very many of you understand my situation. For most of you when you stop hiking or come off the trail you go back to your old life. I have nothing to go back to and I have nothing to look forward to. I have no accomplishments to hold up and no one waits for my return. I am a Lone Wolf with only the world to roam and very little left to lose. The AT is my last shot at something to accomplish worth living for. To come off the AT is a death sentence. It only proves the worthlessness of my life and just how pointless it is. Be thankful you have parents who care, kids cheering you on, or a spouse or some special someone waiting for you. Without those anchors, the arrow of your life has no direction. Out of options."

Footslogger
02-01-2006, 15:07
[quote=jmaclennan]yes!!! the harpers creek shelter in fact. how do i know? cause he wrote a gem in that register i couldn't help but write down. it goes a little something like this...
=================================
Oh gosh ...I'm having a flashback !!

'Slogger

schda
02-13-2006, 17:34
I was wondering if anyone had ever brought a personal register with them? I think it would be kinda cool if as well as entering data into a shelter register if someone brought a personal one with them so that the people they spend time with and such could record the sort of 'vibe' that's on the trail as you go. Granted it might work better if you were a southbounder or something but it could be neat to look back at years after you've finished the trail to sort of remember the essence.

Disney
02-13-2006, 18:16
You sir, are an asshat.

What in God's name is an asshat?

:D

CaptChaos
02-14-2006, 17:47
Craps taken?? Well, that reminds me of a story several years ago on the AT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never really did get into putting down the number of craps a day but if that is what the public (non-backpacking) wants to know then I guess there is no harm in letting them know.

My counts would no be the norm as MRE's seem to slow things down a bit!

Lone Wolf
02-14-2006, 18:26
What in God's name is an asshat?

:D
Same ass an assclown, buttmunch, dillweed or douchebag.

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2006, 18:39
Wolf, as usual, has provided a pithy and adequate response.

For those requiring less pith, see:

www.confusednation.com/asshat/ or perhaps
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=asshat

This jaunty term is coming up more often these days; I believe it was introduced to me by Jester during one of our periodic disputes over political matters; he seemed to think it was called for at the time, and he was, in all likelihood, correct.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2006, 18:40
Merci beau coup.:)

StarLyte
02-14-2006, 18:57
You need to lighten up. You're too anal. Maybe I shoulda put some smiley faces after my post to show you I was just hav:) in fun. This is a stupid thread.

HA ha.

This thread is stupid.

I personally like reading someone else's register entry-after all, it IS a TRAIL JOURNAL ---HELLO ?

Marsha:cool:

Chef2000
02-14-2006, 19:55
One of my favorites in 2000 was Hugry Howie and the Horse.

some maintaing chapters do use the registers to identify trail conditions, based on the , Ah , observations of hikers.

mweinstone
02-14-2006, 20:27
i love you. im gonna hug you if i see ya!and bless you in the name of jesus.you are so so right. one day i pray to jesus your wrong. then you can begin to change. you are full of hate and only the love of god can save you!good luck !jesusjesusjesusjesusjesusjesusjesusjesusjesusjesu s.

mweinstone
02-14-2006, 20:34
we used to tape roches in registers for the next folks.we were 15 relax now.

saimyoji
08-09-2006, 23:40
A good thread started poorly....

//What interesting things have you seen in some of the trail registers?

Anyone seen my Japanese writings? Can you name which shelter(s)? :banana

ed bell
08-10-2006, 00:00
A good thread started poorly.... Never saw this thread until now. Whenever I read a book, poem, journal, shelter register, note from the wife, ect., ect...... and I don't like it; I set it aside and go about my business. No need to change the world over such trivial grievances. Shelter register critic......:rolleyes:... I see no future in it.:) Unless for trolling.:-?

Skyline
08-10-2006, 00:59
I agree with the earlier comments about the registers in Georgia being full of enthusiasm. But of all the registers on the AT, the one that contains more passion, wisdom, and thoughtfulness is the one at Hurd Brook Lean-To, just a few miles south of Abol Bridge in Maine. It's the last real register in a real shelter for NOBOs, and it's where NOBOs are known to pour out their souls.

There are registers at the Abol campstore and at the Katahdin Stream ranger station (didn't see one at the Birches in '03, tho it would be a great place for one), but the Hurd Brook register was the one that touched me the most.

SGT Rock
08-10-2006, 05:09
I like humor in register entries and sometimes I like to add some. It is also cool to occasionally see a register with a theme like" "What song was in your head today" or "What are you planning to eat when you get to Pearisburg" or some other thing that you know everyone has going through their mind at any given day or maybe on that particular section of trail.

Hammerhead
08-10-2006, 07:32
FAH Q Mingo

jlb2012
08-10-2006, 07:47
I think it was Bear Fence Hut in SNP that had a whole series of chicken cartoons from a series of hikers over a month or two - some funny stuff.

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 08:33
Never saw this thread until now. Whenever I read a book, poem, journal, shelter register, note from the wife, ect., ect...... and I don't like it; I set it aside and go about my business. No need to change the world over such trivial grievances. Shelter register critic......:rolleyes:... I see no future in it.:) Unless for trolling.:-?

I totally agree Ed !!
Did you happen to notice the time that you posted the above quote: 00.00
love it

Time To Fly 97
08-10-2006, 09:59
Sketchy!

TTF

Time To Fly 97
08-10-2006, 13:01
we used to tape roches in registers for the next folks.we were 15 relax now.

Did you leave them on the Jesus entries? Holy trail magic Batman!

TTF