PDA

View Full Version : It's almost here! 10 days to go!

FreshStart
07-03-2017, 15:10
I leave in about 10 days for my nobo end to end. Nerves are getting to me. I'm so excited and have waited forever it seems like, now so close my mind is spinning. Can anyone report as to the bug situation, trail conditions, or recent rain? I'm assuming all of the above :p. I have my gear sorted out and a basic idea of my resupply points but plan to just figure it out as I go for the most part. Post any info from recent trips, it would be most appreciated. Thanks:banana

kestral
07-03-2017, 16:35
Mental outlook is everything. On your worst moment remember that I am so envious and am looking forward to my end to end. Right now I'm recovering from a spinal surgery. Best of luck to you!

sorry I don't have the concrete data you're looking for...

FreshStart
07-03-2017, 17:32
Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Slo-go'en
07-03-2017, 17:35
Hopefully the worst of the rain is over, but it will take a while for the trail to dry out. The ground is pretty well saturated, so any rain turns the trail back into muck. The bugs and ticks have been really bad this year, so if you have a head net and a bug bivy to hide in, you will be the envy of other hikers. Afternoon or evening thunder storms will be the major risk.

NHWhites
07-03-2017, 18:03
If you haven't already, apply permethrin to everything to help with the ticks and Mosquitos. Have fun and enjoy the journey

bigcranky
07-04-2017, 08:29
+1 on the permethrin, we soak all our outdoor clothing at the beginning of every season. Having had Lyme disease, I can't say as I want to do that again....

Enjoy the hike. Just going with the flow is the best method, imho. If you have the cash, I can recommend the Inn at Long Trail (of course), and also Nye's in Johnson and the Hyde Away in Waitsfield. Lovely people and places. We found excellent small grocery stores in town, easy hitching, and great local beer :)

Rain Man
07-04-2017, 16:28
I fly up one week from tomorrow to do AT through Vermont. Starting at Mt. Greylock in MA on the 13th. :). But you know that! :)

FreshStart
07-05-2017, 08:03
Ill give you a shout one day this week. We will meet up for sure!

I fly up one week from tomorrow to do AT through Vermont. Starting at Mt. Greylock in MA on the 13th. :). But you know that! :)

adesbonnet
07-06-2017, 10:06
Good luck and have an amazing time!! T - one month until my start date :)

capt. photon
07-08-2017, 15:08
I like to wear long tan (or other light color) pants. The light color helps you spot ticks. It's not a bad idea to carry a small plastic mirror (Coleman has 'em) with you to to a tick check. It's helps to see into places that your eyes can't and where the sun don't shine.

Rolex
07-12-2017, 03:31
I just did the 1st 15 miles plus the pine cobble approach trail. It's muddy but not terrible by no means. No ticks for me but mosquitos showed up frequently. I camped around mile marker 0.4 which was level with nearby water. I had a late start (4:30 pm) and that approach trail was a slow uphill slog for me. My MH bag was too warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Praha4
07-12-2017, 09:56
how busy is the trail now? see many NoBo or SoBo thrus?

I just did the 1st 15 miles plus the pine cobble approach trail. It's muddy but not terrible by no means. No ticks for me but mosquitos showed up frequently. I camped around mile marker 0.4 which was level with nearby water. I had a late start (4:30 pm) and that approach trail was a slow uphill slog for me. My MH bag was too warm.

sui
07-12-2017, 13:06
These updates are much appreciated. Thank you!

I am leaving in about 10 days on a 2-week NOBO. Any info on weather, mud, bugs, shelter use, etc. is much appreciated.

Did you camp at Sherman Brook campsite or did you stealth camp?

NHWhites
07-13-2017, 12:32
The Pine Cobble trail is a tough way to start. There's more elevation than you expect and isn't necessarily worth saving the extra .3 vs taking the AT route. The entire trail is going to be muddy with the way the weather has been