PDA

View Full Version : New section hiker help

bohpoli
07-04-2017, 19:16
I'm looking for a 30-day section of the AT. I thought I'd start at Springer and go north until my time ran out, but is there a better 30-day section to start? Eventually, I'd like to finish the entire AT, one month per year.

I've started putting together a list at Lighter Pack herehttps://lighterpack.com/r/cirewm, any cristicism is welcome. I'd be starting in June 2018, if that helps. Am I too warm or cold with UQ and TQ? Do I need the cold clothes?

How far could I legitimately hike in 30 days and how do I plan to get back home from the trail? Hot Springs? Damascus? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

LIhikers
07-04-2017, 22:18
How far do you normally hike on a day hike?
Take that number, reduce it a bit and then multiply by 30.
There's no way for me, or us, to know how far you can hike especially since we don't know if it'll be in the White Mountains of New Hampshire or someplace significantly flatter. You'll need to give us a bit more info if you'd like an honest answer.

Slo-go'en
07-04-2017, 23:07
Damascus, at 466 miles works out to having to do about 15 miles a day, every day for 30 days. This is not unreasonable and the long hours of daylight in June helps. But with no track record, it's impossible to say if that would be easy or hard for you to manage. A 10 MPD pace is pretty manageable for most anyone, which puts Hot Springs well within reach for a 30 day hike.

Getting home generally involves calling for a shuttle to the nearest bus or train station. Which can be very far away. There are only a handful of places where you can get to a bus or train station close to the trail. Be sure to budget enough for the end of the trip, getting home can become very expensive.

bohpoli
07-05-2017, 08:01
How far do you normally hike on a day hike?
Take that number, reduce it a bit and then multiply by 30.
There's no way for me, or us, to know how far you can hike especially since we don't know if it'll be in the White Mountains of New Hampshire or someplace significantly flatter. You'll need to give us a bit more info if you'd like an honest answer.

Thank you and you're right. I'm very new to hiking now but hopefully I'll be able to get more experience in the next 11 months.

I guess my main question is, should I start at Springer and go north or is there a better 300 mile stretch that would be more accessible to travel before and after my hike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bohpoli
07-05-2017, 08:02
Damascus, at 466 miles works out to having to do about 15 miles a day, every day for 30 days. This is not unreasonable and the long hours of daylight in June helps. But with no track record, it's impossible to say if that would be easy or hard for you to manage. A 10 MPD pace is pretty manageable for most anyone, which puts Hot Springs well within reach for a 30 day hike.

Getting home generally involves calling for a shuttle to the nearest bus or train station. Which can be very far away. There are only a handful of places where you can get to a bus or train station close to the trail. Be sure to budget enough for the end of the trip, getting home can become very expensive.

Thanks, the after travel is where my plans start to break down, finding passage to a train station in the south seems very distant.

FreshStart
07-05-2017, 09:37
End to end on the Vermont Long Trail? Right around 270 ish miles.

FlyPaper
07-05-2017, 14:43
I would suggest Springer Mtn to US 19 (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=AA&k2=DI&h=a7793690&year=2017).

This averages about 13 miles per day which seems doable. The scenery should be great. Since you are leaving in June, there won't be many thru-hikers so the trail won't be as crowded. However, this part of the trail has a much larger volume of hikers who start in March and April, which means camp space should be plenty at the time you're coming through.

If you end at 19E, there is a Bed and Breakfast, also a hostile you can stay at when you end your hike as you figure out transportation. You could probably even arrange to have them shuttle you to some public transportation location.

Also, this section is closer to where you live.

If you end in Hot Springs, that seems too short. But Damascus seems too far.

The other alternative would be to start in Harper's Ferry and go north. This would put you in the thru-hiker crowd. You'd have plenty of company, the trail would be much easier, but the scenery would not be so great. Also, you'd be at a higher risk of Lyme's disease.

bohpoli
07-05-2017, 19:19
I would suggest Springer Mtn to US 19 (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=AA&k2=DI&h=a7793690&year=2017).

This averages about 13 miles per day which seems doable. The scenery should be great. Since you are leaving in June, there won't be many thru-hikers so the trail won't be as crowded. However, this part of the trail has a much larger volume of hikers who start in March and April, which means camp space should be plenty at the time you're coming through.

If you end at 19E, there is a Bed and Breakfast, also a hostile you can stay at when you end your hike as you figure out transportation. You could probably even arrange to have them shuttle you to some public transportation location.

Also, this section is closer to where you live.

If you end in Hot Springs, that seems too short. But Damascus seems too far.

The other alternative would be to start in Harper's Ferry and go north. This would put you in the thru-hiker crowd. You'd have plenty of company, the trail would be much easier, but the scenery would not be so great. Also, you'd be at a higher risk of Lyme's disease.

Thanks! This is what I needed! I'll check out the b&b and hostels in the area.

Venchka
07-05-2017, 19:57
Mountain Harbor B&B and Hostel at US 19E on the Tennessee side of the state line. Their web pages have all of the info.
Wayne

pafarmboy1
07-05-2017, 22:18

I would recommend the suggestion above with an additional thought..... Better to park somewhere you'll arrive at too early than worrying about getting your miles in every day for 30 days. If you get to your car/destination with a few days to spare and you still want to hike.....Ask a local shuttler to follow you in your car to a point further north. (By then you'll have a good idea of your MPD). Park and then they shuttle you back to the trail and you continue another hike to your car. Good luck!

carouselambra
07-05-2017, 22:46
I would recommend the suggestion above with an additional thought..... Better to park somewhere you'll arrive at too early than worrying about getting your miles in every day for 30 days. If you get to your car/destination with a few days to spare and you still want to hike.....Ask a local shuttler to follow you in your car to a point further north. (By then you'll have a good idea of your MPD). Park and then they shuttle you back to the trail and you continue another hike to your car. Good luck!
If you can afford the shuttles, this is a great idea. You could break you hike down into several 40-60 mile segments which would allow you to resupply using your own vehicle about ever 3-5 days. It also gives you a way to sit out some bad weather or get some medical care if needed. Your mental health will be as important as your physical health.

cliffordbarnabus
07-06-2017, 00:19

it's july.

shelb
07-06-2017, 00:30
Since you are located toward the south, start in the south - and then section your hike northbound.

Slo-go'en
07-06-2017, 00:50
it's july.

The OP's trip is June of next year.

bohpoli
07-06-2017, 21:54
Lots of good ideas here, thank you all so much!

LDog
07-06-2017, 23:14
I'm an olde phart who hiked the AT in long sections over four years. I find recommendations to hike 13-15 miles per day for 30 days to be way too aggressive. Few thru hikers do that in their first 30 days ... Unless one's an avid hiker or runner, I'd recommend starting out doing 8 miles for a few days. Then 10, then 12. Maybe work your way up to 15. Georgia and NC are tough hiking. Start slow and avoid injury.

I think in terms of any such hike as being a series of 3-5 day hikes. That way one only carries 8-10 lbs of food, and then can shower, resupply, do laundry, and make up for calorie deficit at an All You Can Eat buffet. I think of 5 days as being 40-50 miles with a zero day at the end. So in my mind, ~240- 300 miles is more reasonable for 30 days. From Springer, 240 miles gets one thru the Smokies to Standing Bear Farm Hostel, from which they can get a shuttle. 274 gets one to Hot Springs.

If one's gonna hit the trail in the prime of their life, can bang out 15 mpd from the gate, and take neros at resupply points, great. But if you've never done this kind of hiking before take it easy the first time. Adjust as neccessary.

Get Awol's "The AT Guide." It has all the info one needs to plan day-to day, for the next resupply point, and one's entire hike.

Good luck!

FlyPaper
07-07-2017, 11:52
LDog sounds like he has some meaningful experience that shouldn't be brushed off lightly.

One caveat though, when comparing with thru-hikers is the time of year. Thru-Hikers generally start in March or early April, and consequently have short days and must carry winter gear and clothes. Since you'll be hiking in July, you'll have much more daylight, and need fewer/lighter clothes and sleeping bag.

Mountain Harbor (the B&B/Hostile at 19E) has a shuttle service. If you keep their phone number handy, you could likely call them a few days in advance if you were running behind schedule. Hypothetically on day 26 you may just be leaving GSMNP and realize you're not going to make 19E. You could call and request a shuttle from Hot Springs to 19E (Of course you should probably run that hypothetical scenario by them before banking on it).

If you plan on just going to Hot Springs, that sounds doable, but for me, embarking on such an adventure, I'd enjoy the anticipation more knowing that my hike was slightly aggressive than if the hike was something kind of easy. Of course, you know yourself better than any of us and I trust you'll make a plan that fits.