PDA

View Full Version : Any long term reviews on the Befree filter form someone thru-hiking?

krshome
07-05-2017, 12:01
Im very intrigued by the Katadyn Befree water filter filter, but would like to hear a long term review from a thru-hiker. I know these are fairly new and most of you had already bought your filters before theses came out but.......Are any of you thru-hiking this year using a Befree and if so how is it preforming? I would like to know if the flow has slowed down, any failures or anything that effects the filter in a negative way. I know there will be a few of you whom have just bought it and would like to give your input, but really not interested unless your thru-hiking with it (real world stuff) Thanks and happy hiking!

hikermiker
07-06-2017, 07:25
I am not thru hiking but I have used it for about 10 days and it is still working fine.

Cobra317
07-20-2017, 20:12
Several thru-hikers have opted to use the BeFree as their primary filter device this hiking season. More notably and publicly has been 'The Real Hiking Viking' and author of Appalachian Trials and Pacific Crest Trials, 'Zach Davis', as they attempt to thru-hike the PCT again this year.

Rex Clifton
07-20-2017, 20:19
I'm not thru hiking, but mine clogged during a six day canoe trip, even though I was filtering clear water. I think this filter is designed to compete with a Lifestraw and not as an everyday, high volume filter. Go with a Sawyer Squeeze instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cobra317
07-21-2017, 10:47
Rex, where were you canoeing? There has been an issue lately in MN with Red Algae. This type of Algae is not visible, but is creating some issues. Obviously with all water treatment scenario's it's water dependent. Recommending a 'Squeeze' would make no difference as it is the exact same technology. The BeFree was just designed different for easy cleaning and faster flow rate.

TexasBob
02-23-2018, 19:07
I was wondering if anyone has any new long term use reports on the Befree filter. It has been for awhile now and there were some early reports that it had reduced flow after a relatively small number of uses for some users.

Venchka
02-23-2018, 19:58
Not thru Hiking but mine is still working as it did when new. However, I haven’t filtered any sludge. In fact, I don’t think I really need a filter in Colorado and Wyoming.
The BeFree and 2 liter Hydrapak Seeker are one of the best gear purchases I have ever made.
If you’re worried about the BeFree lasting long enough for an AT Thru, buy it from REI. Get a replacement if it fails in less than a year.
Wayne

JERMM
02-23-2018, 20:39
I have been seeing several BeFree squeeze bottles separating at the top of the bottle, these are from runners who use them several times a week. I recommend going with a Sawyer, Sawyer Mini 100,000 gallons, Sawyer Squeeze something like 1-million gallons, both filter more water per filter than the Befree.

Zed
02-23-2018, 21:32
I used one from Waynesboro, VA to Killington, VT where I dumped it. When new, it was wonderful but once it started loading up with tannins and silt no amount of swishing and shaking would clear it. Not being able to forcefully back flush is a big negative to me.

Venchka
02-23-2018, 22:31
I have been seeing several BeFree squeeze bottles separating at the top of the bottle, these are from runners who use them several times a week. I recommend going with a Sawyer, Sawyer Mini 100,000 gallons, Sawyer Squeeze something like 1-million gallons, both filter more water per filter than the Befree.
Don’t use the soft bottle.
Buy the Replacement BeFree filter and the Hydrapak Seeker soft bottle. The difference: the Hydrapak bottles have a rigid neck and cap. The BeFree screws on solidly. Drink from it or squeeze water into other containers. The Hydrapak Seeker takes up very little space when empty.
Wayne

Burrhead
02-23-2018, 23:00
Backpacking light has a long term review on the befree. I'm not sure if you can access it with paying to join though.

JERMM
02-23-2018, 23:23
Don’t use the soft bottle.
Buy the Replacement BeFree filter and the Hydrapak Seeker soft bottle. The difference: the Hydrapak bottles have a rigid neck and cap. The BeFree screws on solidly. Drink from it or squeeze water into other containers. The Hydrapak Seeker takes up very little space when empty.

Wayne

I did not say I was using one, I have no use for a BeFree or Hydrapak Seeker.

Singto
02-23-2018, 23:34
Unless there is a substantial cost/weight savings or technology jump, I don't see why people are looking past proven filters such as the Sawyers and HydroBlu products. Same argument as why look for more expensive pack liners when it's well established that a trash compactor bag performs admirably, is low cost and easily replaced if needed. KISS

blw2
02-24-2018, 07:25
Unless there is a substantial cost/weight savings or technology jump, I don't see why people are looking past proven filters such as the Sawyers and HydroBlu products. Same argument as why look for more expensive pack liners when it's well established that a trash compactor bag performs admirably, is low cost and easily replaced if needed. KISS
same reason I'd suppose, that people started trying sawyer squeeze filters when they had perfectly proven filters such as those old pump types.....maybe small advantages, maybe more.....

I bought my sawyer just before I found out about these bee free filters, and I just don't hike enough to justify buying one now...so I can only comment on perception...
it seems to me that the bee free offers a more "streamlined" and less clunky system. It's a nice packable and usable drinking bottle when compared with a sawyer attached to the top of some random bag or bottle.... makes a very clumsy contraption in my view
....and then there's the seemingly weak link of the sawyer...the bags.
The big downside I see with it...if your bag fails on a sawyer, no big deal....screw it on a bottle. But with the bee free if the bag breaks and you don't have a spare, you're screwed!

Maineiac64
02-24-2018, 08:53
Befree is crazy fast compared to sawyer.

TexasBob
02-24-2018, 11:13
I used one from Waynesboro, VA to Killington, VT where I dumped it. When new, it was wonderful but once it started loading up with tannins and silt no amount of swishing and shaking would clear it. Not being able to forcefully back flush is a big negative to me.

Thanks for your answer. How long did it take to start slowing down before you dumped it?

Zed
02-24-2018, 12:01
Thanks for your answer. How long did it take to start slowing down before you dumped it?

I remember spending quite a bit of time in the restroom of McDonald's in Wind Gap, PA trying to get it clean. Rinsing helped, but never as good as before, so it was a slow decline.

One evening I was really squeezing on the bottle and the light bulb came on that if this bottle failed I would have to order a new one shipped, instead of just picking up another regular bottle in the next town, like with a sawyer. A single point of failure with no easy fix. I had my wife throw a sawyer into my next box.

Venchka
02-24-2018, 13:44
In general one size fits all comment.
Wayne

Maineiac64
02-24-2018, 14:08

Why reply if you don’t have direct experience?

TexasBob
02-25-2018, 12:17
I remember spending quite a bit of time in the restroom of McDonald's in Wind Gap, PA trying to get it clean. Rinsing helped, but never as good as before, so it was a slow decline. One evening I was really squeezing on the bottle and the light bulb came on that if this bottle failed I would have to order a new one shipped, instead of just picking up another regular bottle in the next town, like with a sawyer. A single point of failure with no easy fix. I had my wife throw a sawyer into my next box.

Thanks, that's good info. I have been using a steripen because it is so fast and easy and was thinking of getting a Befree for a section in May. I have a sawyer mini but I don't like it. I may still give the Befree a try since I will only be out for a couple of weeks.

nsherry61
02-25-2018, 12:39
. . . I have been using a steripen because it is so fast and easy and was thinking of getting a Befree for a section in May. . .
Or, just stick with your Steripen because it's fast (for small volumes) easy, convenient, and deactivates more different baddies, i.e. viruses.

Or, do like I do and just drink the damn water and quit worrying about your one chance in a really huge number of actually getting sick. After all, you'll never really know what your risk of getting sick is if you haven't gotten sick yet. :rolleyes:

TexasBob
02-25-2018, 13:04
Or, just stick with your Steripen because it's fast (for small volumes) easy, convenient, and deactivates more different baddies, i.e. viruses. Or, do like I do and just drink the damn water and quit worrying about your one chance in a really huge number of actually getting sick. After all, you'll never really know what your risk of getting sick is if you haven't gotten sick yet. :rolleyes:

To each his own. Treating your water in my mind is a small price to pay to avoid a case of explosive diarrhea. A hersey hurricane can sure spoil your fun.

Venchka
03-18-2018, 18:29
Update on my BeFree filter.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/123792-Katadyn-BeeFree-Filter?p=2200204&viewfull=1#post2200204

It works very well.
Wayne

Violent Green
03-18-2018, 22:23
I had one that clogged up tight as a drum after about 10 gallons of pretty clear water through it. No amount of effort would revive it. Sawyer is still the gold standard in my opinion.

Venchka
03-20-2018, 16:22
I had one that clogged up tight as a drum after about 10 gallons of pretty clear water through it. No amount of effort would revive it. Sawyer is still the gold standard in my opinion.
Did you seek any warranty remedy?
Wayne

Venchka
03-20-2018, 16:23
Measured BeFree flow rate.
1 liter.
30 seconds.
Wayne