PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2018 advice

GrandCanyonhiker
07-05-2017, 14:38
Good afternoon! My wife and I along with a good friend are planning a 2 week vacation next year to the AT. We are thinking of doing 10 days on the AT. Would like some advice as to where to start/finish, shuttle info, where we can ship supplies to along suggested route, anything else. Longest hike we've done so far was 4 day R2R2R in Grand Canyon 2 years ago. Thanks in advance for any help!

BuckeyeBill
07-05-2017, 16:26
I have hiked the GC several times. It is one of my favorite places on God's green rock. Here is a AT distance calculator (http://www.atdist.com/) That may help plan your trip. Also you may want to get AWOL'S Guide book (http://theatguide.com/) or the ALDHA'S Thru-Hiker's Companion (http://atctrailstore.org/planning/official-a-t-guide-sets/appalachian-trail-thru-hikers-companion-2017/) or both. Both guides offer elevation graphs and way-points. You can also find businesses, post offices, hostels, etc that will let you ship your supplies to them. You can find the latest shutters info here (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2016.php). Others will probably suggest good routes for you. Good luck. HYOH:)
(http://theatguide.com/)

bigcranky
07-06-2017, 08:07
When do you want to go? That will determine the best location along the trail (e.g., March or July?).

GrandCanyonhiker
07-06-2017, 11:59
Not really sure. Guessing June/July?

DownEaster
07-06-2017, 14:20
Most of June is black fly season in northern New England, which makes that an undesirable destination then. You could try the southernmost end instead, which will be much less populated after the large NoBo through-hiker groups have gone. Enjoy the green tunnel!

importman77
07-07-2017, 07:36
I may not be the best one to give advice on this as there are plenty on here with far more experience than me. With that said I think if I was in your place this is what I'd do. I would do from Hughes Gap TN. to Damascus, Va. That's 96.7 miles which would give you a daily average of just under 10 miles per day based on your goal of 10 days hiking. That section IMO has relatively moderate terrain and will include several highlights. You will get to visit the highest shelter on the AT in Roan High Knob, see the remains of the Cloudland Hotel (not overly impressive but kinda cool), cross over the Roan Highlands; (Big Bald, Jane Bald, Little Hump and Hump Mountains: arguably some of the most beautiful scenery on the entire trail), see and possibly stay at Overmountain Shelter, ( the largest and one of the coolest shelters on the AT; with beautiful views to boot), and eventually end your hike at Damascus Va., (one of the coolest trail towns on the AT). Also, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, with the elevation here I believe the temperatures should be among the best you could hope for for the June/July time you're planning for. As far as the shuttle I would contact Mountain Harbor B&B. Not sure about their range but if they can't handle it I'm sure they could recommend someone. Also, I'd plan to stay with them on the way through. They are great people and they are known for having one of the best breakfasts on the trail. I can vouch for that; stayed there once and it was great. One other bonus on this section, the trail crisscrosses the Tn/NC line numerous times and you'll end in Va. You will have the satisfaction of knowing you've hiked the AT in three states. Again, there are many people on here with far more experience than me but if I was planning a 10 day hike in June or July this is what I would do. And I really wish I was the one planning this, lol. Good luck and enjoy your hike.

bigcranky
07-07-2017, 08:18
Early or mid June I'd hike in the South. The route mentioned above would be nice, though I'd hike it southbound and get the easier part done first. Another option for early June is central Virginia, say starting in Pearisburg and heading north as far as you can go, or doing some of Shenandoah southbound then keep hiking south past the park into some pretty big mountains. Or you can start at Springer Mountain in Georgia and just hike north for two weeks.

Mid July or so you can get some really nice weather in New England, so starting in North Adams, MA, and heading north on the AT through VT and on to NH and into the Whites might work (check the mileage and see what you can do in two weeks), or hike in southern Maine. Summers up north can be glorious.

swjohnsey
07-07-2017, 10:53
Two week, figure 150 - 225 miles. Maybe start south of Harpers Ferry, hit Bear's Den, Harpers Ferry, mid point, the AT Museum and hostel at Pine? Furnace.

Dogwood
07-07-2017, 14:17
June July are swelterfest months in the mid Atlantic states particularly at the lower to mid AT elevations. Is that a situation you wish to minmize? Is anyone in the group interested in floral displays, waterfalls, flowing rock strewn streams, cooler summer nights, seeking long distance overlooks, wiling to go off the AT for a day or so but sticking mainly to the AT,...?

MtDoraDave
07-07-2017, 21:08
What importman77 said, and add waterfalls to the list of sights. I stayed at overmountain shelter recently, and it was nice to have a privy ... Huge grassy area to tent and a great view.
The only negative thing I might say about that section is the footing on much of it seems a bit more difficult than the other 400 miles of AT I've seen. It wasn't an issue for me, but some other people I was with, who are less sure-footed, struggled with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk