PDA

View Full Version : Hikers for STEELERS!

soad
01-31-2006, 18:05
The AT goes through Pennsylvania, not Washington...thus all us AT hikers have to be Steeler fans this week.... :dance

Jack Tarlin
01-31-2006, 18:09
My best friend (also my employer, landlord, and Basecamp person) is from Pittsburgh, so count me in.

Plus Charlie Daniels never had a line in a song about Seahawk fans, and for good reason!!

Skidsteer
01-31-2006, 18:22
Count me in too. I grew up a Browns fan but our motto always was: If it can't be the Browns, Let it be the Steelers!

hikerjohnd
01-31-2006, 19:12
Oh come on now... It took the Seahawks long enough to get there - it is time for them to win one. Pittsburgh has known the taste of victory - time and again - lets support Seattle and let them have something to cheer about!

bulldog49
01-31-2006, 19:30
Count me in too. I grew up a Browns fan but our motto always was: If it can't be the Browns, Let it be the Steelers!

Sorry Skidster, no Browns fan would ever have that motto.
Just like a Buckeye fan would never say "If it can be the Buckeyes let it be the Wolverines. :confused:

Woof! Woof!

bulldog49
01-31-2006, 19:30

Just like a Buckeye fan would never say "If it can't be the Buckeyes let it be the Wolverines. :confused:

Woof! Woof!

Heater
01-31-2006, 19:33
The AT goes through Pennsylvania, not Washington...thus all us AT hikers have to be Steeler fans this week.... :dance

SEAHAWKS! :clap

hammock engineer
01-31-2006, 19:37
I'll have to throw a WHO DEY out there.

But It would look good for the AFC Central to have the Steeler's win.

Skidsteer
01-31-2006, 19:38
Just like a Buckeye fan would never say "If it can't be the Buckeyes let it be the Wolverines. :confused:

Woof! Woof!

:confused: We said the same thing about the Wolverines and My sister is an Ohio State Alum! Think about it; If they beat us, they must be the best-right?:D

hammock engineer
01-31-2006, 19:55
:confused: We said the same thing about the Wolverines and My sister is an Ohio State Alum! Think about it; If they beat us, they must be the best-right?:D

Well if that statment holds true for the Browns, then everone is the best, right?

StarLyte
01-31-2006, 21:19

AHHH you traitor! Doesn't matter - professional sports SUCK. ha ha ha
Marsha
Cleveland

Skidsteer
01-31-2006, 21:20
Well if that statment holds true for the Browns, then everone is the best, right?

Har, har. Yeah pretty much.:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
01-31-2006, 21:24
AHHH you traitor! Doesn't matter - professional sports SUCK. ha ha ha
Marsha
Cleveland

All right, I'll fess up. I don't think I've watched an entire game since Modell sold the Browns. Took the fun right out of it for me. Aww, hell I'm usually hiking anyway!:D

sarbar
01-31-2006, 23:17
It was about time Paul Allen bought us soemthing that wins :p
Seattle...the home of two stadiums, right next door to each other. At least you can smell the Tully's roasting plant from them ;)

ScottP
02-01-2006, 00:45
Steelers. If they win I get my friend's girlfriend. Otherwise, he gets a sack of potatoes.

hiker5
02-01-2006, 09:39
Steelers. If they win I get my friend's girlfriend. Otherwise, he gets a sack of potatoes.

I'm sure she is thrilled about this. :cool:

RLC_FLA
02-01-2006, 09:41
I grew up in western PA. GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

RLC_FLA
GAME->89

Moxie00
02-01-2006, 09:43
The Patriots are out this year so I'm with the workingman's team, the Steelers. However it wont break my heart if the Seahawks win as they have LofaTaputu, son of Moise, a great Patriot running back. He went to the University of Maine for one year and I don't think anyone from Maine has ever played in the Super Bowl or for that matter even been able to afford to go to one.

kyhipo
02-01-2006, 10:02
GO Sea chickens!!!:banana

dug
02-01-2006, 11:49
Go Steelers! one for the thumb!

dizzyT
02-01-2006, 16:40
I hope all you Steeler fans finally get one for the thumb.

As a lifetime Cowboy fan I can tell you it is quite nice. Trying to remember who we beat in the fifth.....hmmm

Heater
02-01-2006, 16:52
I hope all you Steeler fans finally get one for the thumb.

As a lifetime Cowboy fan I can tell you it is quite nice. Trying to remember who we beat in the fifth.....hmmm

:-? :D :banana

:sun Devil stadium.

I think I still have that one on tape. :cool:

Go Seahags!

dizzyT
02-01-2006, 16:59
I actually went to it......went to XXVIII too. That was my first
y comment was just for a little ribbing though.

I actually like the steelers......I am a Ben R fan

JMY
02-01-2006, 17:58
:banana :clap :D :jump GO SEAHAWKS!!!

StarLyte
02-01-2006, 18:55
All right, I'll fess up. I don't think I've watched an entire game since Modell sold the Browns. Took the fun right out of it for me. Aww, hell I'm usually hiking anyway!:D

Art Modell (aka JERK) RUINED the spirit of the Cleveland Browns, and truthfully for a lot sports. They even tore down the old stadium and built a new one. Doesn't matter - it just isn't there anymore.
Marsha

Skidsteer
02-01-2006, 19:02
Art Modell (aka JERK) RUINED the spirit of the Cleveland Browns, and truthfully for a lot sports. They even tore down the old stadium and built a new one. Doesn't matter - it just isn't there anymore.
Marsha

Yeah, bad juju leaves when it's good and ready.

The Scribe
02-01-2006, 19:26
Seahawks!!!

If it can't be the Pats that is.

Tatupu can win one for his dad.

Remember Moises Mooses? Moises cheering section at the old Foxborough/Patriots/Sullivan/Schaefer Stadium?

Pennsylvania Rose
02-01-2006, 21:08
I grew up in western PA. GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

RLC_FLA
GAME->89

I grew up in Pittsburgh!!!!! My dad had season tickets for 20 years, and we had some memorable Super Bowl parties. I've got my Iron City and my Terrible Towel and am ready to scream at the TV. Too bad I can't listen to Myron Cope here in KY. Yoy!

Morning Glory
02-01-2006, 21:21
The Steelers are almost as important as hiking to me! I've got my terrible towel all ready for Sunday!

Nean
02-01-2006, 21:56
Can the Steelers can win this one on their own. I recall 2 SBs against the 'boys where most of thier winnings musta gone to the refs.

Green Bean
02-02-2006, 00:02
STEELERS!! WUUU = ) they made it to the big one time to win it!!

trailangelmary
02-02-2006, 01:40
:clap Both of my parents grew up in Pittsburgh; I live in PA; Steelers all the way. Last week I knitted scarfs for all the female steelers fans at the Pub in Duncannon. There is a very big Steeler fan group at the Pub. It will be rocking on Sunday.
GO STEELERS GO! THEY HAVE HEART!:clap

Skyline
02-02-2006, 01:51
Go Stillers! One for the thumb!

Win this one for Myron Cope, originator of the Terrible Towel and Steeler Nation.

The Stillers are one of the good thangs about Pittsburgh, where they used to refer to Cleveland as the Mistake By The Lake. Maybe still do?

otterman
02-02-2006, 08:49
My favorite team is whoever is playing against Pittsburgh on any given day. (The same goes for teams playing against Cleveland)

soad
02-02-2006, 16:29
I grew up in Pittsburgh!!!!! My dad had season tickets for 20 years, and we had some memorable Super Bowl parties. I've got my Iron City and my Terrible Towel and am ready to scream at the TV. Too bad I can't listen to Myron Cope here in KY. Yoy!

I miss Myron! They should bring him back for Sunday's game....for old time sake.

GO STEELERS

Don't mess with Joey Porter....

Tree-girl
02-02-2006, 23:27
:clap Yeah, GO STEELERS!!!! :clap
I live right by Pittsburgh, been watching them all my life.
It's so funny, I was just thinking earlier today how I can't go anywhere w/out seeing something Steelers... Now they've even made it to Whiteblaze, lol! Here we go Steelers, here we go... :D

fivefour
02-02-2006, 23:32
I have been a Steelers fan since Bradshaw.

c.coyle
02-03-2006, 07:47
Yinz are all jagoffs. Got a case of Ahrn City in the fridge, ready to go. :clap

dizzyT
02-03-2006, 16:50
If you ever meet Bradshaw in person you might change your opinion. I know this is blasphemy in Pitt. but the guy is a jerk. I have had three encounters with the man. He is nothing like you see on TV

Twofiddy
02-03-2006, 23:54
Here we go Steelers
Here we go

I bleed black and gold!!

Heater
02-04-2006, 02:00
I bleed black and gold!!

Well that must raise some eybrows at the free clinic!

GO SEAHAGS!:banana

Inn Keeper
02-04-2006, 16:42
Seahawks!!!

If it can't be the Pats that is.

Tatupu can win one for his dad.

Remember Moises Mooses? Moises cheering section at the old Foxborough/Patriots/Sullivan/Schaefer Stadium?I got a vision"I know what the score of this game is going to be before they start".

Skyline
02-04-2006, 17:55
I miss Myron! They should bring him back for Sunday's game....for old time sake.

GO STEELERS

Don't mess with Joey Porter....

The subject of Myron just GOING to Detroit was written about on some site (can't remember where I read it) this past week. He recently had a bout with pneumonia and is just too weak, it said. When (not if) the Steelers win, I hope they dedicate the win to Myron, and that he gets to hear it wherever he is at the time.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-04-2006, 23:07
If you ever meet Bradshaw in person you might change your opinion. I know this is blasphemy in Pitt. but the guy is a jerk. I have had three encounters with the man. He is nothing like you see on TV

Lynn Swann, on the other hand, came to my school when I was in 7th grade. He was a sweet heart - even brought some of us up to show us some ballet. Hope he still is.

Skyline
02-05-2006, 11:25
Lynn Swann, on the other hand, came to my school when I was in 7th grade. He was a sweet heart - even brought some of us up to show us some ballet. Hope he still is.

I've always had great respect for Lynn Swann. But for some reason he now thinks he's qualified to be the next PA governor, and some of his early comments on the campaign trail show him to be a protege of Clarence Thomas. Before it's all over I think he's likely to do great damage to his image.

Anyway, it's Super Bowl Sunday. Go Steelers!

soad
02-05-2006, 12:54
The subject of Myron just GOING to Detroit was written about on some site (can't remember where I read it) this past week. He recently had a bout with pneumonia and is just too weak, it said. When (not if) the Steelers win, I hope they dedicate the win to Myron, and that he gets to hear it wherever he is at the time.

Thanks for the info. Too bad he is experiencing poor health...hopefully the Black and Gold can give him something to smile about tonight!

Inn Keeper
02-05-2006, 14:22
I just about know what the score of this game is going to be before they even start.

Fiddler
02-05-2006, 14:52
I just about know what the score of this game is going to be before they even start.
Before they even start it will be zero to zero.

Inn Keeper
02-05-2006, 17:21
Before they even start it will be zero to zero.pretty
sharp.Most who read this wonder how I know.What Kind or fiddle do you play?

Heater
02-05-2006, 17:27
pretty
sharp.Most who read this wonder how I know.What Kind or fiddle do you play?

Seahawks beat a Steel drum.

Inn Keeper
02-05-2006, 17:30
Seahawks beat a Steel drum.maybe so but you don't mind if I steel Hate'em do you?being from Dalton,Ma it's hard to like the seahawks.

Big Oz
02-05-2006, 23:07
I just about know what the score of this game is going to be before they even start.O speak to me honey:jump :jump :jump

c.coyle
02-06-2006, 08:02

Handsome, articulate, tons of name recognition, absolutely no experience. Running on his Steeler career, and the Republicans are betting that we'll vote for him for that reason alone. A really cynical move.

Skyline
02-06-2006, 11:13
Handsome, articulate, tons of name recognition, absolutely no experience. Running on his Steeler career, and the Republicans are betting that we'll vote for him for that reason alone. A really cynical move.

Lynn Swann was also a reasonably competent sports broadcaster with ABC for a number of years, so he knows how to play to a camera. But he hasn't been elected, or even appointed to, a position so obscure as garbage commissioner or dog catcher yet but he and the Republicans seem to believe he's qualified to occupy the Governor's mansion.

After all these years of benefitting from the struggles of those who led the Civil Rights movement, he has now decided to pull a Clarence Thomas and be an Uncle Tom--pandering to mostly white social conservatives in PA about all their favorite issues. I hope the voters up there are smart enough to separate football brilliance from political foolishness.

Gee, I think I've seen this movie before. Starred Ronald Reagan. Or was it Ahhhhnold?

But let us rejoice in that 21-10 win over the Seahags and come back to Lynn Swann another day.

Skyline
02-06-2006, 11:49
Thanks for the info. Too bad he is experiencing poor health...hopefully the Black and Gold can give him something to smile about tonight!

If you know about Myron Cope, you'll really appreciate this article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06022/641678.stm

It may even bring a tear or two.

JoeHiker
02-06-2006, 12:21
This Steeler fan is breathing a big sigh of relief. I think I aged 10 years during that game.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and was there for all 4 previous superbowls so this was great.

c.coyle
02-06-2006, 13:57
...After all these years of benefitting from the struggles of those who led the Civil Rights movement, he has now decided to pull a Clarence Thomas and be an Uncle Tom--pandering to mostly white social conservatives in PA about all their favorite issues. I hope the voters up there are smart enough to separate football brilliance from political foolishness.

That's not fair. The Republicans are running him solely because he's electable, not because he's black. There's nothing in his background (that I know of) to justify calling him an Uncle Tom or to otherwise challenge the man's character. By all accounts, he's a quality guy, albeit unqualified to be our governor.

Skyline
02-06-2006, 16:23
That's not fair. The Republicans are running him solely because he's electable, not because he's black. There's nothing in his background (that I know of) to justify calling him an Uncle Tom or to otherwise challenge the man's character. By all accounts, he's a quality guy, albeit unqualified to be our governor.

I may have to defer to you on this, as I don't live in PA and you do. But what I've read on the 'net (including the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette site) and heard from politically savvy friends in Western PA would indicate that he deserves the Uncle Tom label, at least insofar as I understand the label.

Let's see . . .

Has Swann not spoken out against affirmative action, and said disparaging things about the traditional black leadership in the Keystone State? And then moved on to support the people and issues which have always been "code" to blacks to beware of what's really happening? That's what I think the black community calls an Uncle Tom. Very much like Clarence Thomas, viewed as a traitor by many black folks.

If Swann has not joined the social conservatives who have historically been against civil rights, I will stand corrected. But I think I'm accurate on this.

The more important thing is and should be: What in this man's background qualifies him to run one of the largest states in the nation? Very little judging by his resume. From a political perspective, I think he has been annointed by the GOP leadership partly because he is black, and that is one way to cut into the black vote Democrat Gov. Rendell needs to win a second term. And partly, because he is a popular celebrity west of Harrisburg and has great name recognition throughout the whole state.

If he was running on the Democratic ticket I'm sure the Republicans would be pointing out his lack of experience--rightly so. But they want so very much to beat Rendell, who they despise, that they are willing to run a candidate a bunch of them would otherwise not associate with.

But hey, he was a hell of a wide receiver. People from across the political and racial spectrum can agree on that.

c.coyle
02-06-2006, 18:31
Has Swann not spoken out against affirmative action, and said disparaging things about the traditional black leadership in the Keystone State? And then moved on to support the people and issues which have always been "code" to blacks to beware of what's really happening? That's what I think the black community calls an Uncle Tom. Very much like Clarence Thomas, viewed as a traitor by many black folks.

If Swann has not joined the social conservatives who have historically been against civil rights, I will stand corrected. But I think I'm accurate on this.

We've hijacked this thread, which was originally about my beloved Stillers, and I don't want to bore people with the Byzantine aspects of Pennsylvania politics, so this is my last post on this topic:

I can't find any stand that he's taken on anything. He has done "motivational speaking" where he supposedly touts hard work, self reliance, capitalism, etc. etc. I hope being conservative doesn't automatically make a black person an Uncle Tom. Not being African - American, I guess I'm not qualified to make that judgment.

... From a political perspective, I think he has been annointed by the GOP leadership partly because he is black, and that is one way to cut into the black vote Democrat Gov. Rendell needs to win a second term. And partly, because he is a popular celebrity west of Harrisburg and has great name recognition throughout the whole state....

My point exactly. They hope he can get black votes in Philly, Rendell's home town, and rural votes in "The T", which is basically everything except Pittsburgh and Philly, because he's a football hero. "The T" is basically white and rural.

In other words, they expect that people will be stupid and gullible enough to vote for him simply because he's either black or a jock. Cynical.

dizzyT
02-06-2006, 18:56
Social conservatives against civil rights? I know quite a few that aren't. Just because they believe in a different approach doesn't mean they are against civil rights.

BTW Affirmative action, whether you agree with it or not, is discrimination defined. That can't be debated.

And quick question........If it is so hard for non-whites to make it in this country how come so many risk their lives to get here.

CONGRATS STEELERS

Skyline
02-06-2006, 19:34
We've hijacked this thread, which was originally about my beloved Stillers, and I don't want to bore people with the Byzantine aspects of Pennsylvania politics, so this is my last post on this topic:

I can't find any stand that he's taken on anything. He has done "motivational speaking" where he supposedly touts hard work, self reliance, capitalism, etc. etc. I hope being conservative doesn't automatically make a black person an Uncle Tom. Not being African - American, I guess I'm not qualified to make that judgment.

My point exactly. They hope he can get black votes in Philly, Rendell's home town, and rural votes in "The T", which is basically everything except Pittsburgh and Philly, because he's a football hero. "The T" is basically white and rural.

In other words, they expect that people will be stupid and gullible enough to vote for him simply because he's either black or a jock. Cynical.

Well I think we're getting closer to seeing it the same way. In an earlier post you wrote (excerpt): "The Republicans are running him solely because he's electable, not because he's black." In your latest post you acknowledge his race is one of the reasons the Republican hierarchy finds him attractive. And I agree with you--that's cynical.

The traits of self-reliance, capitalism, etc. are not the only things he's touting--and anyway, these are not solely conservative traits. He's got all the 2006 social and religious conservative talking points memorized too--and like them he has no problem making scapegoats of those people and issues they oppose. I wonder if this is the real Lynn Swann, or if he's a bit naive and being coached? I hope it's the latter, because like I said earlier I've always liked and respected him.

Back to the Steelers--wish I could be there for the big party. I was there from '71 to ''80 and celebrated two Pirate World Series wins and four Steeler Super Bowl wins. They sure do know how to have a spontaneous party up there--and pre-organized parades and rallies too. I read where they blocked off the streets and bridges into dahntahn last night as a proactive measure about 9pm, and that there was massive public partying despite snow and ice into the wee hours on the streets of the South Side and Oakland.

soad
02-06-2006, 21:09

Awesome link! Thanks Sky!

Pennsylvania Rose
02-06-2006, 21:35

What a great article!!!

Didn't know about Swann's political ambitions - can't believe my parents never mentioned it.

ONE FOR THE THUMB!!!!