PDA

View Full Version : Footprints

Rowdy Yates
07-06-2017, 09:11
:confused: Does anyone know if there is someone that can make a footprint for my Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1 Tent? I checked with MH but they do not have any in stock. This tent is the 2008 model as shown in picture.

Ethesis
07-06-2017, 09:50
I've made my own polycro footprints.

Having done the way others did, I'm now moving on to sheet bend knots and shock cord at the corners.

1. Buy polycro window kit.

2. Set up tent.

3. Cut polycro to size of tent.

4. At the corners tie shock cord loops long enough to attach to your pegs.

I will note some ultra light companies just sell the sheets by themselves and don't do tie outs.

Which works.

Leo L.
07-06-2017, 13:36
Did the same with a piece of housewrap. No big deal.
By attatching straps with hollow rivets to each corner it allows to setup footprint&rainfly first.

Tipi Walter
07-06-2017, 15:46
I use a standard "walmart" type tarp (ordered online) at 10mil thick. I found thru long experimentation that 10mil will turn back most thorns plus these types of tarps are truly waterproof which you can test by placing over a small pool of water on the grass and sitting on it. No water should seep thru. This kind of tarp can of course be cut to size.

Here's my ground cloth drying out before shoving off.

I like the white color cuz you can see stuff on the floor. Obviously I use my ground cloth INSIDE my tent for a variety of reasons. The main purpose of my inner tarp is to prevent pinhole punctures of my inflatable sleeping pad---and to keep condensation wetness below the pad between the tent floor and the tarp. And also in a heavy rainstorm to keep any errant ground water in case my tent floors leaks between the floor and the inside tarp.

Remember, in a heavy rain ground pooling can sometimes occur and if your ground cloth is below the tent it can gather pools of water with no adequate draining. Below vid shows a common occurrence in Southeast backpacking during deluge rainstorms---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10L6Y1FCnno

Venchka
07-06-2017, 15:48
1.0 or 1.5 mil plastic painter's drop cloth at any hardware store. I get mine at True Value. You could get several for that tent for less than $5.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowdy Yates
07-07-2017, 08:35
Tipi, I noted that you said that you put your ground sheet inside the tent and not under it. Would you share your rationality for doing this? I thought the purpose of the ground cloth/footprint was to protect the floor of the tent.

Tipi Walter
07-07-2017, 09:31
Tipi, I noted that you said that you put your ground sheet inside the tent and not under it. Would you share your rationality for doing this? I thought the purpose of the ground cloth/footprint was to protect the floor of the tent.

As mentioned, here are the advantages of a ground cloth INSIDE the tent---
** With a white tarp, things are easier to find on the floor of the tent.
** When pulling out the tarp for morning pack-up, most in-tent dirt is on the tarp so it's easy to pull it out and shake off the dirt. Easier than cleaning off the tent floor itself.
** In some conditions you'll get condensation between the sleeping pad and the tent floor---With an inside tarp this condensation stays under the tarp and between the tarp and the floor. I mark one tarp side with pen marker and this side always stays dry even if the other side is moist. Then when I set up camp later in the day the top of the ground cloth is always dry.

** A 10mil tarp is thick enough to repel most sharp points and thorns and acts as a second tent floor---and this protection occurs no matter if the tarp is under the tent or inside the tent.
** In a hard rain (see my video), ground pooling will get under the tent. If your ground cloth is under the tent this ground water will get between the tarp and the tent floor and form undraining pools. With the tarp inside the tent this doesn't happen.

** If you do have a small leak in your tent floor, this entering water stays under your inside ground cloth between the tent floor and the ground cloth. Extra protection.

Rowdy Yates
07-07-2017, 09:57
As mentioned, here are the advantages of a ground cloth INSIDE the tent---
** With a white tarp, things are easier to find on the floor of the tent.
** When pulling out the tarp for morning pack-up, most in-tent dirt is on the tarp so it's easy to pull it out and shake off the dirt. Easier than cleaning off the tent floor itself.
** In some conditions you'll get condensation between the sleeping pad and the tent floor---With an inside tarp this condensation stays under the tarp and between the tarp and the floor. I mark one tarp side with pen marker and this side always stays dry even if the other side is moist. Then when I set up camp later in the day the top of the ground cloth is always dry.

** A 10mil tarp is thick enough to repel most sharp points and thorns and acts as a second tent floor---and this protection occurs no matter if the tarp is under the tent or inside the tent.
** In a hard rain (see my video), ground pooling will get under the tent. If your ground cloth is under the tent this ground water will get between the tarp and the tent floor and form undraining pools. With the tarp inside the tent this doesn't happen.

** If you do have a small leak in your tent floor, this entering water stays under your inside ground cloth between the tent floor and the ground cloth. Extra protection.

THANKS Tipi

Calvin N
07-14-2017, 23:22
I also use polycro, look for this in the insulation area. It's simply clear widow film that acts as insulation. It's somewhat strong and super light weight. Cost about $8 at Walmart

Ethesis
07-15-2017, 19:31
I also use polycro, look for this in the insulation area. It's simply clear widow film that acts as insulation. It's somewhat strong and super light weight. Cost about $8 at Walmart

Fast and easy to find. Going to Walmart or Home Depot is the best way to go for polycro.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_bend for a good knott to tie unequal size lines and polycro together. That will let you get a very lightweight approach.

David Miller
07-15-2017, 21:32
Hard to justify buying a footprint when you can make one for cheap. I like the idea of using the footprint inside the tent. Makes sense to me. If you make one and use it outside the tent make sure it is smaller than the floor and and that it is completely covered by the tent or it will channel water under your tent.

Rowdy Yates
07-18-2017, 07:58
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post here. I found an actual MH footprint from Bob Ward in Montana, nevertheless, I have read your posts and I will be applying your advise. Thank you to everyone who responded.