PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Questions

Longboysfan
07-06-2017, 11:25
I'm planning on a section hike in October.
Starting at Winding Stair Gap to Newfound Gap.
Leaving car at the Hike Inn near Fontana Dam.

Question 1 - Do you think it would be easier to resupply from my car - hiking off trail back to the inn and pick up from car.
OR
Doing a postal resupply pick up in Fontana Village.
I plan to be in Fontana Village by Friday.

Question 2 - Does the shuttle service at Newfound Gap run in October.
If so does it go to Cherokee, N.C.?

Thank you.

JC13
07-06-2017, 12:10
For #1: I would think Hike Inn would pick you up if you are staying there unless you are just paying to park there. If so, I would resupply from there, resupply from your car/have your stuff inside the inn. Then get shuttled back to the trail.

#2: Depends on what shuttle, there is one that runs I believe as long as the roads are open but I don't think they come up there unless you call/reserve or happen to be there when they are dropping off. They run out of Cherokee, NC; I just don't recall the name of the company ATM.

Longboysfan
07-11-2017, 15:26
OK.
If anyone knows the company - please respond.

Ashepabst
07-11-2017, 15:38
Cherokee Transit used to run a shuttle between there and Gatlinburg and would cater to hikers, but I don't think they do that anymore.

Ankle Bone
07-11-2017, 15:38
I would call Nancy at The Hike Inn. They are awesome and can provide all of the current options and information you need.

zachzz12
07-11-2017, 15:42
not sure this is what you are looking for but i'd recommend shuttle service from Beverly 850-572-7352 .

She operates in that area, is pleasant, and punctual.