PDA

View Full Version : Kenyan marathoner outruns Maine bears

John B
07-06-2017, 17:14
I put this in the speed hiking/trail running forum. :D

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2017/07/06/professional-runner-outruns-2-bears-while-out-on-morning-run-in-maine

Sarcasm the elf
07-06-2017, 17:30
I put this in the speed hiking/trail running forum. :D

Everyone should really slow down and learn to appreciate their time spent with the charging bears. :rolleyes:

rocketsocks
07-07-2017, 00:45
Technically speaking 60 feet isn't really a run, barely a dash, more like a hop skip and a jump.

Old Hillwalker
07-07-2017, 05:29
Never unplug a bear from its charger before it's full.

Traveler
07-07-2017, 05:57
Running with the bulls to replaced soon by "Dashing with the Bears".

Ankle Bone
07-07-2017, 08:16
Technically speaking 60 feet isn't really a run, barely a dash, more like a hop skip and a jump.

If you're going full speed for 60 feet with two bears in chase mode, I'd say it's definitely a dash.

rocketsocks
07-07-2017, 10:56
Never unplug a bear from its charger before it's full....and if it's a polar bear move to a warm environment before charging, to give you half a chance.

rickb
07-07-2017, 12:02
That would be a very unusual behavior for one black bear, but two?
Together?
It would have to be a mother and her cub (from this year or last), right?
Odder still.

Makes me wonder if there might be more to the story ....

rocketsocks
07-07-2017, 13:17
If you're going full speed for 60 feet with two bears in chase mode, I'd say it's definitely a dash.
And a mad one at that!

Feral Bill
07-07-2017, 16:21
Those bears seem highly motivational.

Tundracamper
07-10-2017, 15:03
Shoulda learned to swim...

Uncle Joe
07-10-2017, 18:37
That would be a very unusual behavior for one black bear, but two?
Together?
It would have to be a mother and her cub (from this year or last), right?
Odder still.
Makes me wonder if there might be more to the story ....

Judging by the last several weeks of black bear stories, it's looking less unusual.

Dogwood
07-10-2017, 19:45
Terrible article. It promotes running from bears possibly inciting further a prey predator response. Read the account. He was lucky under fortunate circumstances 1) to be a PROFESSIONAL runner 2) to have a house to run into 20 yds away 3) to be on a flat gravel maintained improved road

Further, although he initially stood his ground turned his back on two bears that charged not offering if it was a false charge as most often happens with Black Bears. The Kenyan runner rightly says harder to continue standing ground if you do not know Black Bears are notorious for false charges. What could, and likely does play into this, is him not making himself appear larger and making noise.

Read the Wardens Black Bear advice and follow it... not the runners sensationalized accounts!

Uncle Joe
07-10-2017, 21:40
Terrible article. It promotes running from bears possibly inciting further a prey predator response.

No it doesn't. FTR:

Wardens advise people who encounter black bears to make themselves appear big, make noise and back away slowly. But they recommend people stand their ground if a black bear charges and say if the bear attacks, then fight back.

It looks like the article does a fairly decent job of balancing the story. All in all, it was a decent story. He lived. The bears are gone. I see no promotion of running in this. Did he make some mistakes? Sure. The isn't a hiking story and he didn't set out into the wilderness on some kind of adventure. He can't be expected to know everything he should do. Is it in his best interest in Maine? Probably.

Dogwood
07-10-2017, 23:31
No it doesn't. FTR:

Wardens advise people who encounter black bears to make themselves appear big, make noise and back away slowly. But they recommend people stand their ground if a black bear charges and say if the bear attacks, then fight back.

It looks like the article does a fairly decent job of balancing the story. All in all, it was a decent story. He lived. The bears are gone. I see no promotion of running in this. Did he make some mistakes? Sure. The isn't a hiking story and he didn't set out into the wilderness on some kind of adventure. He can't be expected to know everything he should do. Is it in his best interest in Maine? Probably.

The headline is what most will focus on - Professional runner outruns 2 bears while out on morning run in Maine. No promotion of running? It's mentioned three separate times in the title. People tend to skip over vital details by not reading an entire article. It's the age in which we live. We don't have to look very far to recognize this as it happens here on WB on a daily basis and that's within an outdoor community.

Dogwood
07-11-2017, 00:22
No one can be expected to know everything. No one is assuming he should. But being aware of one's surroundings I don't think is too much to ask. If I was a professional runner going to another country, say Kenya, to say train, I'd sure try to make myself aware of common dangers in the vicinity - Big cats, hyenas, elephants, rhinos, armed militia, private land, etc and refer to locals how to minimize and address risks.

Uncle Joe, if you got and considered the warden's advice on your first read - your only read - without having yet read all the posts on the thread that could be because you're someone from a different generation, a full reader, maybe with good patience, who is willing to consider more deeply with a longer attention span? :-?

rickb
07-11-2017, 02:39
Further, although he initially stood his ground turned his back on two bears that charged not offering if it was a false charge as most often happens with Black Bears. The Kenyan runner rightly says harder to continue standing ground if you do not know Black Bears are notorious for false charges. What could, and likely does play into this, is him not making himself appear larger and making noise.
In all of recorded history, has there ever been another account of two black bears attacking (or even just charging 60 yards) together?

Genuine question -- I don't know.

If so, would this pair have likely been a mother and cub?
Two siblings, recently separate from thier mother?
A male and female hanging out together for a bit during mating season (which is about now)?

While I tend to believe the runner's story, it is possible -- just possible -- that it is not entirely accurate? I will not suggest any hypotheticals as to why an individual might create a false report, but might that be something to be considered?

That one black bear would charge a man is unusual.

That it would hang around after the runner broke into the porch effectively trapping him (indicating it was not just a bluff charge) is even more usual.

That two bears would this together is even more unusual still,

Have there been any other reports of two black bear workin together like this -- ever?

Genuine question. I bet I am not he only one wondering about that.

egilbe
07-11-2017, 07:20
In all of recorded history, has there ever been another account of two black bears attacking (or even just charging 60 yards) together?

Genuine question -- I don't know.

If so, would this pair have likely been a mother and cub?
Two siblings, recently separate from thier mother?
A male and female hanging out together for a bit during mating season (which is about now)?

While I tend to believe the runner's story, it is possible -- just possible -- that it is not entirely accurate? I will not suggest any hypotheticals as to why an individual might create a false report, but might that be something to be considered?

That one black bear would charge a man is unusual.

That it would hang around after the runner broke into the porch effectively trapping him (indicating it was not just a bluff charge) is even more usual.

That two bears would this together is even more unusual still,

Have there been any other reports of two black bear workin together like this -- ever?

Genuine question. I bet I am not he only one wondering about that.
Good point. Black bears are solitary creatures. They will not seek out other black bears.