PDA

View Full Version : beltless pants

greensleep
07-07-2017, 14:03
May seem a minor issue, but I've been looking for a convertible pants style for hiking that is beltless. The belt in my current pants/shorts convertibles is continually causing discomfort due to either chafing or twisting. Tried different positions of carrying my pack, but can't find a comfortable one due to the belt. Are there any convertible pants for hiking out there that use an elastic and/or drawstring waist?

JPritch
07-07-2017, 14:06
Watching....looking for a pair myself.

jefals
07-07-2017, 15:01
I think suspenders would be ideal. the kind with loops that go around buttons in the pants. Never seen any, tho.
I got some REI convertibles that came with a cheap, thin belt that keeps coming loose, so that every so often I have to hike those pants up - which isn't easy when you're carrying a pack.
now I have other convertibles and a new belt from Bison Designs that's great.

Puddlefish
07-07-2017, 15:12
I have a pair from Eastern Mountain Sports that has traditional belt loops, that I don't use, and also has a wide drawstring sewn in, internally. Recommended.

BuckeyeBill
07-07-2017, 16:13
I use a leather belt in my REI convertible pants. It's like the one I wear while working on cars because the belt buckle is cover with leather to keep from scratching new paint jobs. It lays nice and flat.

gbolt
07-07-2017, 16:36
I am watching this as well. My Columbia Aruba II only had a drawstring. But everything I research now has a Nylon Belt. Prana's have a pull Belt not a true loop belt. But I don't like the weight or Price but may be stuck between this or SilverRidge with a Belt.

Hope someone has an answer.

clusterone
07-07-2017, 19:23
Seen these Boyscouts convertibles?
I like them. https://m.bonanza.com/listings/boy-scout-official-switchback-uniform-pants-men-s-xxxl-3xl-50-x-32/482031856?goog_pla=1&gpid=18283950120&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o5&ad_type=pla&gclid=CLr5mfWn-NQCFVg2gQodbtwPfA

clusterone
07-07-2017, 19:27
Not belt-less, but integrated belt. It is light, and completely covered(snag proof and does not run under hip belt).
Seen these Boyscouts convertibles?
I like them. https://m.bonanza.com/listings/boy-scout-official-switchback-uniform-pants-men-s-xxxl-3xl-50-x-32/482031856?goog_pla=1&gpid=18283950120&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o5&ad_type=pla&gclid=CLr5mfWn-NQCFVg2gQodbtwPfA

hikermiker
07-08-2017, 06:59
I tried suspenders once. Since they sit under the pack straps they proved to be very uncomfortable.

Leo L.
07-08-2017, 09:44
Anybody ever tried flap trousers?

Heliotrope
07-08-2017, 10:17
Perhaps reconsider the zip off convertible pants? I wear shorts and layer Montbell dynamo wind pants over them as needed. Elastic and drawstring. Only 2.5 oz in pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownEaster
07-08-2017, 13:12
The disadvantage of shorts plus wind pants is the double insulation over the sweaty lower torso, which promotes chafing and funky odors. Zip-off pants do meet a real need, but I too would like to find some with an elastic waist. I'm already expecting to need two different sizes as my spare tire gets used up on the Trail. Elastic would make the pants fit better over a wider range of changing waist size.

Grunt
07-08-2017, 13:38
I wear "bathing trunks", cargo shorts with an elastic waist band. I cut the webbing out only because I've been wearing them for about seven years and and they were getting pretty worn out. You can spend a fortune on "hiking" shorts or you can go to any discount clothing store and buy a $5 or $10 bathing suit that functions like "hiking shorts"... Mine are Columbia

BuckeyeBill
07-08-2017, 14:38
I just check my REI convertible pants and belt, and noticed that the belt was sized just right to fit the entire width of the belt loops. I figure this is why it doesn't cause me any problems with my hips or hip belt. I wonder if a thin coat of silicon sealer type coating on the inside of the waist area would help? I know some of my suit pants and my tux pants have a couple of small rubber strips to prevent sliding and your shirt from coming out.

greensleep
07-08-2017, 15:03
The disadvantage of shorts plus wind pants is the double insulation over the sweaty lower torso, which promotes chafing and funky odors. Zip-off pants do meet a real need, but I too would like to find some with an elastic waist. I'm already expecting to need two different sizes as my spare tire gets used up on the Trail. Elastic would make the pants fit better over a wider range of changing waist size.

this x 2. I get smaller as I hike.

egilbe
07-08-2017, 15:04
Try tights and shorts?

DownEaster
07-08-2017, 15:44
Try tights and shorts?
Seems like a lot of hassle to me. When it gets warm enough that you want to shed the tights, it's a much bigger job than to just zip off the legs of convertible pants.

ChuckT
07-10-2017, 12:18
Clothing, hats to shoes, is "designed" to look good on models (male and female) on runways at fashion shows and _not_ on real people. We're I king of the world ... In the mean time I hike in shorts that have a liner and elastic waists. Can you say swimsuit?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Alligator
07-10-2017, 19:20
If you can't find what you are looking for, can you describe your current belt that is causing the problem? Maybe a wider (or thinner) belt would solve your problems. Or a different material: cotton, elastic, or even rope. A belt is just a uniform width material that encircles one's waist to tighten whatever is covering the legs. It may not even have a buckle. I imagine most every combination has been tried over fashion history, there probably exists one that would work for you.

It could be the pants material. Chafing can result from sweat drying and the salt and dirt rubbing. Maybe a rinse of the pants/shorts is in order or a wipe down of the waist in the evening is needed. Could be the waist size is too big and the fabric is bunching up against the belt.

Or if set on the drawstring or elastic waistband, you could add that to a favorite pair if you can't find it. A recommend a professional for the elastic though. I tried shortening the waist on my Frogg Toggs and I didn't space the band properly so they ride a little crooked now but it may not be too hard it was my first try.

greensleep
07-11-2017, 09:19
If you can't find what you are looking for, can you describe your current belt that is causing the problem? Maybe a wider (or thinner) belt would solve your problems. Or a different material: cotton, elastic, or even rope. A belt is just a uniform width material that encircles one's waist to tighten whatever is covering the legs. It may not even have a buckle. I imagine most every combination has been tried over fashion history, there probably exists one that would work for you.

It could be the pants material. Chafing can result from sweat drying and the salt and dirt rubbing. Maybe a rinse of the pants/shorts is in order or a wipe down of the waist in the evening is needed. Could be the waist size is too big and the fabric is bunching up against the belt.

Or if set on the drawstring or elastic waistband, you could add that to a favorite pair if you can't find it. A recommend a professional for the elastic though. I tried shortening the waist on my Frogg Toggs and I didn't space the band properly so they ride a little crooked now but it may not be too hard it was my first try.

Thanks! I've tried a few different materials, buckle types, and belt widths; all seem to either fail at the buckle, roll or twist, or lay just at the wrong position for comfort with my pack waist belt. I may try your suggestion of hiring a seamstress(er) to make the waist elastic and/or include an interior drawstring.

Dogwood
07-11-2017, 10:32
I've had or have MENS convertible pants with partial or full elasticized waistbands W/ INTERIOR DRAWSTRINGS some that came also with belts(that I promptly removed with the belt loops if they had them but not for your reasons but to save wt and bulk, I agree though if you pack's hip belt lays in the same place chaffing can occur, sounds weird but the rare few times I recognized waist chaffing beginning I tucked in my tee or baselayer under my belt)) made by Ex Officio, Roundfield(maybe Roundtree?)&York, Columbia and TNF. Don't have any of them in front of me now so you have to look up the models. Problem with all these companies is that styles and versions w/ this drawstring feature change based on current production.

Might look at some of the fishing convertibles. Your chafing issue may be solved by wearing partial elasticized waistbands in itself. Then, you might have another issue like your convertibles not staying up. :D FWIW I like the elasticized waistband with drawstring whether convertible or non convertible pants on longer hikes as my wt and waist size fluctuates downward allowing to compensate without them falling down.

Dogwood
07-11-2017, 10:36
Another thing that might help is replacing a stiff rigid wide ribbed webbing belt with large buckle with a thinner elasticized belt with a low profile buckle/snap that is similar to a large rubber band but looking the same as other webbing belts. You see them on fashion pants usually for larger men.

Venchka
07-11-2017, 15:06
"Good Grief Charley Brown"
I can't take this any longer.
The following works:
LL Bean pants made of paper thin, 100% nylon, built in mesh brief and thin, narrow nylon webbing belt and thin, flat nylon two part clasp buckle. Belt is removable.
Starting at the ground, the backpack belt is first. Riding on my pelvis bones. Iliac crest.
The pant waistband and belt are completely visible above the pack hip belt.
The pants have worked with the following: Jensen Pack, ArcFlex Terraplane and ULA Catalyst.
No belt twisting. No waistband chafing. Nothing. Barely know they are there.
I see that Kohl's has similar looking pants and belt for $30.
It's just pants. Not brain surgery.
Repeat: The pack belt doesn't ride on the pants belt.
Have a comfortable hike!
Wayne

Venchka
07-11-2017, 15:16
PS:
The belt buckle on the pants is an ultra miniaturized version of the buckle on the Catalyst and virtually every other pack on the market.
Wayne

raggydoo
07-11-2017, 18:59
Prana Zion convertibles have a small integrated strap in the front to adjust the fit.

dadgad
07-18-2017, 09:23
I think suspenders would be ideal. the kind with loops that go around buttons in the pants. Never seen any, tho.
I got some REI convertibles that came with a cheap, thin belt that keeps coming loose, so that every so often I have to hike those pants up - which isn't easy when you're carrying a pack.
now I have other convertibles and a new belt from Bison Designs that's great.

I've been using REI convertables with Underups from suspenders.com. I used sideclips last weekend and they worked pretty well for me. YMMV, of course.

KDogg
07-18-2017, 22:29
I used running shorts and tights. Only had to change out of the tights a few times in the beginning and it really wasn't much more trouble than convertables. Personally, I find convertables to be really uncomfortable so this combo worked well for me. I did see a pair of Kuhl convertables later in my thru that looked pretty comfortable but I wouldn't change my setup for them.

mitchs1224
07-28-2017, 10:17
I have a pair of convertible north face I bought on clearance which made them almost affordable. they are very stretchy/forgiving and really light . The best part is they a have belt that buckles above the fly but the belts 1" webbing only goes back in each direction about 4-5 inches where it is sewn onto the waist so you don't have the weight of a belt that goes all the way around you but you still have the benefits of a belt you can tighten.

TTT
07-28-2017, 10:24
Remove the belt loops on your pants and sew 2 short pieces of compression straps with a velcro attachment where the buckle would be. This should allow for resizing while on the hoof.

Puddlefish
07-28-2017, 11:18
If you're going to hire a seamstress, consider a half belt, that only goes from the sides to the front.

saltysack
07-28-2017, 11:54
Mags "Ballet wind pants" fit the bill perfectly!!! Way better than any zip offs I've tried.....elastic waist..winter I wear over compression tights if it's real cold...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/a22e0f44efd01969144dc1e43de3ce02.png