PDA

View Full Version : UL Tent Options for Taller Folk

JPritch
07-07-2017, 15:28
I have a BA Copper Spur UL 1, and it drives me nuts at times b/c my toes graze the inside when laying down, and when sitting up I have to duck my head to keep from hitting the top. Just a few inches short either way.

Been looking at TarpTent Rainbows and SixMoon Lunar tents. Does anybody 6'3+ have any experience with the fit of these tents? Or any other similar UL tent that could accommodate me? I'm pretty sure those have the headroom I'm looking for, so mostly concerned with usable length. The TT Rainbow is actually 2" shorter than my Copper Spur, but the wall angle is the critical unknown factor for me.

Appreciate any insights!

soumodeler
07-07-2017, 16:12
Check out the ZPacks Altaplex as well: http://zpacks.com/shelter/altaplex.shtml

DuneElliot
07-07-2017, 16:19
Or the Duplex...

Venchka
07-07-2017, 16:56
Light Heart Gear Solong 6. Or Duo for 2.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franco
07-07-2017, 19:27
Every TT shelter has a video , or two, within the product page ,showing a 6' dummy on top of a 6' mat.
This is a still from the Rainbow :
alternatively you can Google " Tarptent Rainbow 6'3" and you will find several comments on that.
I know that 6'5" users can fit inside it.
franco@tarptent

oldwetherman
07-07-2017, 22:44
I'm 6'4" and switched from a BA Copper Spur to a Tarptent Notch four years ago and have enjoyed the Notch ever since.

David Miller
07-08-2017, 00:08
Can't beat the zpacks line if you can afford. The duplex is in my humble opinion is the best 3 season tent ever.

The standard size description of one, two, or three person tents from all manufactures should be understood to mean.... One person is like a humid coffin. Two Person is perfect for you and your pack and even your dog or will work as a two person coffin. The three person tent are good for two people and packs and maybe a dog.

I've used the 6 moon design and it works well and is well worth the money but not equal to the more expensive zpack tents.

The problem of your feet extending out past the tarp is a common one with almost all tarp tents. For an extra pound of weight +/- you can go for a Big Agus tent that will out perform a tarp tent in challenging conditions. When the weather is nice the Big Agnus tents don't ventilate as well as a tarp tent so they can get a little stuffier on those warm nights. You can always leave the Rain Fly off and get up in the middle of the night when it starts to rain. Keep in mind that the ultra light Big Agnus tents are for the most part not free standing. They use a bunch of stakes and are as hard to set as a tarp tent. "They are also made from a very fragile rip stop nylon. I own an old Big Agnus Tree House (not ultra light) that is free standing and for two people in a driving rain it's the best. With the weight split between two it may be the perfect choice. Generally I hike solo or with my dog so I tend to go for my tarp tent at half the weight.

For the occasional sideways rain situation I just suck it up, set my tarp low to the ground and curl up in a ball and suck it up. This is when the dog comes in. The ultralight load you have carried on you're back for all those miles is extracting a toll of one less than comfortable night. IMYHOP I would spend an occasional less than comfortable night, assuming there is no room in the shelter, in my tent than carrying an extra pound for the hundreds of nights spent on a long distance nights. I use a tarp tent in the Colorado high country regularly and there have been times when I wished I had a real tent but in the morning I crawl out dry off as best I can and head down the trail. If the sun comes out as it does regularly in Colorado I stop and dry my equipment. The choice of a shelter is a personal choice and the choice depends on your level of tolerance to discomfort, intended use and your dog.

If you follow my lead you will end up with a bunch of camping gear that never gets used taking up space in your garage. Don't be like me.

greensleep
07-08-2017, 08:45
I have a BA Copper Spur UL 1, and it drives me nuts at times b/c my toes graze the inside when laying down, and when sitting up I have to duck my head to keep from hitting the top. Just a few inches short either way.

Been looking at TarpTent Rainbows and SixMoon Lunar tents. Does anybody 6'3+ have any experience with the fit of these tents? Or any other similar UL tent that could accommodate me? I'm pretty sure those have the headroom I'm looking for, so mostly concerned with usable length. The TT Rainbow is actually 2" shorter than my Copper Spur, but the wall angle is the critical unknown factor for me.

Appreciate any insights!
I am just over 6'1" and have a ZPacks duplex. With a good taut set (easy to do) I have about 12 inches space at the foot, 12'" space at sides and still don't bump my head on the ceiling. Check out the YouTube video blog of Earlyriser 71, he used a duplex for his thru hike and I believe he's around your height, and purportedly loved it.

Deadeye
07-08-2017, 09:12
I bought the TarpTent Rainbow, in large part because it's so roomy inside. I'm just 6', but the floor is 7'4", plenty long, and loads of headroom.

capehiker
07-08-2017, 22:08
If you're going Zpacks, the Altaplex is far superior to the Duplex (with regards to taller hikers) due to the head height which gives greater space to the taller person.

Sarcasm the elf
07-08-2017, 22:21
While I don't have any personal experience with it, you should take a look at the Lightheartgear Solong 6. I know several fellow hikers that have had good experiences with the company and the tent is billed as "The SoLong 6 is SO long, that hikers over 6’8” will fit comfortably in this tent. Made in America - Exclusively."

https://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/shop-now/tents/solong-6

Zach ADK
07-09-2017, 17:35
It's not ultralight, but my Eureka Spitfire 1 is big enough for me, and I am 7' 1/2" tall. I can sit up in the middle, and when I lie down I don't quite touch either end. I think there is also a UL version of this tent, or was when I was buying mine. I was too cheap to buy the UL version.
Zach

JPritch
07-10-2017, 09:08
Wow, thanks for the great info everyone! Definitely have some good options to look into.

Venchka
07-10-2017, 11:50
A person would have to be 8' tall to fill up the Solong 6. Maybe. One thing people overlook in the Solong 6: The walls start 8" from the ground. That makes a difference. The 3,000 mm hydrostatic head fabric makes a difference too.
Wayne

capehiker
07-10-2017, 20:49
A person would have to be 8' tall to fill up the Solong 6. Maybe. One thing people overlook in the Solong 6: The walls start 8" from the ground. That makes a difference. The 3,000 mm hydrostatic head fabric makes a difference too.
Wayne

I'm 6'2" and sold my SoLong after 2 nights. Once you add in a sleep pad, you get elevated towards the overhead. I didn't like the feeling of it being so close to my head. I got showered with condensation at the slightest movement.

I'm sticking with my Altaplex and Moment DW.

carouselambra
07-10-2017, 23:02
I am 6'5" and the LightHeart SoLong 6 is my tent. It is spacious inside and so far has held up well in both wind in rain. I have had an issue with my thick Big Agnes Q-Core pad my head/face can end up close to the tent. My solution to this is I shove my backpack on it's side above my head to give myself some more vertical above my head/face. The tent is so lengthy I still have room for my pad and feet fully extended.

saltysack
07-12-2017, 18:14
I'm 6'2" and sold my SoLong after 2 nights. Once you add in a sleep pad, you get elevated towards the overhead. I didn't like the feeling of it being so close to my head. I got showered with condensation at the slightest movement.

I'm sticking with my Altaplex and Moment DW.

I noticed that on a thick air pad also, my fix was simply pull my rain shell over my quilt/pad foot box and slide down closer to foot end of tent...still like my Solong but also really liking my cuben duomid and cuben Borah bivy...still under 20oz of versitilty...lots of space for me and the pup.....I'll keep the Solong for buggy paddle trips in the glades...

BuckeyeBill
07-14-2017, 11:43

Been looking at TarpTent Rainbows and SixMoon Lunar tents. Does anybody 6'3+ have any experience with the fit of these tents? Or any other similar UL tent that could accommodate me? I'm pretty sure those have the headroom I'm looking for, so mostly concerned with usable length. The TT Rainbow is actually 2" shorter than my Copper Spur, but the wall angle is the critical unknown factor for me. Appreciate any insights!

Just saw this in the selling used gear thread. LHG Solong 6 $275.00 shipped....Like new....Amazing shelter (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/125695-LHG-Solong-6-275-00-shipped-Like-new-Amazing-shelter)

mankind117
07-14-2017, 12:01
I'm 6'6", tents I have found that work well for tall ( always carry a 2 person tent as I've never seen a 1 person tent I would be comfortable in) people include the big sky evolution 2p and revolution 2p, the tarptent double rainbow (but I have also sworn off single walls), the tarptent double moment (great for tall people but discontinued), sierra designs convert 2, tarptent scarp 2

JPritch
08-11-2017, 10:55
I just purchased a TT Stratospire 1. I liked the doublewall, double vestibule (for JMT views), and ability to pitch inner or outer separately. Yet still comes in lighter than my current tent. Only downside is packability due to the struts.

If for some reason it's not a fit, I'll return it and just bite the bullet on a Duplex or Altaplex. They are awesome tents, spacious, and very packable. I just couldn't bite that $500-$600 bullet without giving the $300 SS1 a shot first. Man, even the used ones are still trying to be sold for $550 on Reddit and Ebay.

Venchka
08-11-2017, 18:56
I just purchased a TT Stratospire 1. I liked the doublewall, double vestibule (for JMT views), and ability to pitch inner or outer separately. Yet still comes in lighter than my current tent. Only downside is packability due to the struts.

If for some reason it's not a fit, I'll return it and just bite the bullet on a Duplex or Altaplex. They are awesome tents, spacious, and very packable. I just couldn't bite that $500-$600 bullet without giving the $300 SS1 a shot first. Man, even the used ones are still trying to be sold for $550 on Reddit and Ebay.

What is the problem with the struts? The SS 1 in the stuff sack slides right in an outside pocket on my Terraplane. The struts are removable.
One more TT feature: Pitch as a unit in the rain and the inner tent stays dry.
Wayne

JPritch
08-14-2017, 13:00
Packability is an important feature for me. No issue stuffing it in an outside pocket, but being able to stuff and conform the tent in and around other gear (such as a big bear can), would be an ideal feature for me. But, trade-off's, man.

Venchka
08-14-2017, 17:46
Pull the struts out.
Wayne

MtDoraDave
08-14-2017, 21:45
Yup, trade offs. The struts are removable, but the trade-off is reduced speed to pitch if you have to install prior to pitching - important if it's raining.
I'll probably never get to be truly ultralight, because I'd rather have a slightly larger pack that fits my equipment without stuffing it...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Venchka
08-14-2017, 22:12
There you go. The right tool for the job.
Wayne

JPritch
08-17-2017, 09:30
I got my SS1 last night, set it up in the backyard. Love the headroom, but the daggon mesh is a bit saggy at the ends and either my head or feet will touch it. I decided to send it back but lo and behold I punched a damn hole near the roof support (the pole fell down and when I reset it I guess I didn't get the trekking pole tip into the grommet properly)...so I guess I own it now. I was thinking about attaching some velcro dots to attach the outer mesh to the inner fly at the ends to lift the mesh and give me more room. I'll play around with it this weekend. Otherwise love the tent though, gonna provide some awesome views on the JMT in a few weeks.