PDA

View Full Version : Solved / Trouble Sleeping

jgillam
07-09-2017, 15:50
After many years and many restless nights of sleep while camping, I think I've finally turned the page.

I don't have any anxiety about sleeping outdoors but, I've been using a Cpap at home to treat OSA, and think that I need it to be comfortable at night. When I camp I don't take it and therefore don't sleep. Many nights I had assumed that I never even fall asleep.

A few weeks ago, while reviewing my Fitbit sleep cycle after a sleepless, Cpap-less camping trip, I discovered that I had actually fallen asleep for a few hours immediately after going to bed but, was awaken and stayed awake after the short rest.

I wondered if I was being woken up by an apnea and was unable to fall back asleep because I had essentially taken a 2-3 hour nap. After having it recommended a few times, I finally ordered an oral device (Pure Sleep) to use while camping in hopes of reducing apneas.

After 7 nights at Boy Scout camp, I believe the combination of an oral devise and the use of soft ear plugs has made it possible for me to sleep reasonably well while camping now. I just need to figure out how to avoid dry mouth now.

Regarding ear plugs, I tend to be hyper-vigilant while camping, mostly because I'm never alone. I'm always with my kids or the scouts and feel responsible for them. Putting in ear plugs was hard as I was losing a key sense but, I had to do it and believe it helps.

Hopefully this information can help someone.

bretn
07-09-2017, 15:58
Thanks for the tip on Pure Sleep....I'm going to look into it.

FiftyNine
07-09-2017, 17:36
I am currently making the AT and wouldn't be able to do it if I did not get a oral device from my dentist who wasn't sure if it would even work because I had pretty severe sleep apnea. I have been on the AT for almost three months and wouldn't have made it a week without that device. I am not familiar with pure sleep but at least I know there are other alternatives out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
07-09-2017, 21:34
Just Google "Mandibular Advancement Device". There are a number of them on the market with very little evidence, other than anecdotal accounts, to support the efficacy of any of them in managing sleep apnea. That being said, the concept has proven highly successful for many people in scientific studies of mandibular advancement treatment . . . just that none of the scientific studies, that I've seen anyway, used the simple and inexpensive devices available over-the-counter. Maybe I should look into it again, as it's been a while. My cheap over-the-counter device works somewhat, but not nearly as well as my CPAP.

Greenlight
07-11-2017, 21:05
Just Google "Mandibular Advancement Device". There are a number of them on the market with very little evidence, other than anecdotal accounts, to support the efficacy of any of them in managing sleep apnea. That being said, the concept has proven highly successful for many people in scientific studies of mandibular advancement treatment . . . just that none of the scientific studies, that I've seen anyway, used the simple and inexpensive devices available over-the-counter. Maybe I should look into it again, as it's been a while. My cheap over-the-counter device works somewhat, but not nearly as well as my CPAP.

The military did studies and service members and defense contractors are now allowed to take them into CENTCOM operation areas instead of CPAP with battery backup. The efficacy has been confirmed with split sleep studies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JackDuggan
09-05-2019, 08:41
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how the poster, Fifty-Nine, was managing long term with the oral appliance. I too have sleep apnea and have been on CPAP for sixteen years. I tried a Thornton TAP oral device a couple of years ago, hoping to use it for hiking and bike touring, but I just couldn't get used to it. My teeth hurt and felt loose. I used an oximeter to measure my O2 saturation overnight and never could get it near what I had with CPAP.

Just curious, because I'm trying the TAP again and hoping to use it on the AT. I wonder if the hammock makes a difference too? I nap in a hammock sometimes and I never feel symptomatic then.