PDA

View Full Version : Hipbelt & Shoulder Strap pockets

Wyoming
01-31-2006, 20:43
I have a Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude that I have been using for about 6 months. It is an ok pack and I have carried as much as 37 pounds in reasonable comfort this winter. However, when using the pack for winter travel it does have a couple of issues that would make it a lot better in my eyes.

First, is that I want hipbelt pockets and shoulder strap pockets that are removable.

For the hipbelt an ideal size would be about 75 cu in and be about 3 in thick, 4 in deep and 6 in long. To mount them the pocket could have a sleeve for the 1" hipbelt strap that could be run through the pocket and then back through the buckle or it could mount via a velcroed set of flaps. Zipper on top. They could be waterproof or have drain holes in the bottom in order to deal with rain. (I don't like to take have to take the pack off all the time to get food, compass, knife, maps, camera, etc)

For the shoulder straps an ideal size would be about 2 x 2 x 4 inches. They could attach via clip on the top (there is a D-ring attachmenet at the top of the strap that is in an ideal place. To attach the bottom of the pocket one could use velcro flaps again.

Does anyone know where such pockets can be obtained? I have looked for suppliers that sell aftermarket pockets and have been unsuccessful as yet in finding something that fits my needs.

Another weakness of the design of this pack (at least for winter use) is that there are no daisy chain loops (equipment attachment loops) on the pack. The pack is just not big enough inside to be able to carry the extra gear needed for sleeping in snow (i.e. extra pad, winter clothes, additional food requirements, etc). I had to jury rig staps that i wound through the compression straps to hold pads and tent on the outside. It annoyed me everytime I had to stap them on. I intend to find someone who can sew the needed straps/buckle's/loops on for me.

Wyo

Alligator
01-31-2006, 20:56
Belt pouch
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9143&memberId=12500226

I just bought this one. I had another one previously, but I needed a new one for my new pack. This one has a flap to go over the zipper so the teeth don't freeze. My other one did not and it helps to have the flap.

Shoulder pocket
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99011&memberId=12500226

Go to campmor.com select packs and look for pouches and pockets under pack accessories.

mattydt20
01-31-2006, 21:12
What is your review of the hip belt pocket? It's a cheap piece of gear, but the shipping cost is the same amount as the gear itself. I've got a vapor trail and was looking for something to put a camera, snacks, etc. into. The vapor trail doesn't have great pockets.

Mouse
01-31-2006, 21:13
I could not find what I wanted. So I shopped and found an EMS pouch that was the right size but was meant to be hung around one's neck. Then I took one of the removable velcro crampon or ice axe straps from my pack and sewed it onto the pouch. That let me attach it to my shoulder strap. I left the neck lanyard on so that in town I could remove it from the pack and carry it around my neck if needed.

Wyoming
01-31-2006, 21:22
Gator...

Thanks..very usefull. I like the shoulder strap pocket and will likely buy one to see what it is like.

I am a little ambivalent regarding the hipbelt pocket as it is very large at 120 cu in. That is almost 2 times what I was looking for. Do you find it uncomfortable or awkward as you hike?

Wyo

Alligator
01-31-2006, 22:03
What is your review of the hip belt pocket? It's a cheap piece of gear, but the shipping cost is the same amount as the gear itself. I've got a vapor trail and was looking for something to put a camera, snacks, etc. into. The vapor trail doesn't have great pockets.
I just bought a vapor trail and bought the new belt pouch for it. My old belt pouch had two velcro loops instead of a sleeve. Since it was just two loops, it tended to bunch and hang a little. I was concerned it would interfere with my hiking poles. It does not. Overall, the old one was a little floppy but it didn't interefere with hiking and I don't notice it there at all really. I used the old one on my Aether 60 and my Bora 95.

In the winter I will stuff gloves, hat, neck gaiter, snacks, and camera in the belt pouch. This completely fills it. The old pouch is also slightly taller than the new one. I like access to the clothes items to regulate temperature. The little flap over the zipper on the new pouch is key because I was out two weeks ago and the zipper was frozen on my old one for two days. Very hard to unzip.

In the summer, I put my sun hat, snacks, and camera in it. It's a little empty then. I haven't had my vapor trail out with the new belt pouch, but I believe it will sit much better with the sleeve. I put mine along the waist tightener not the hip belt (see pic). I will probably put my headlamp and maybe a few other items in there now that I no longer have a top lid. I will see how I feel about not having a lid, but I think if forced to choose, I would prefer the belt pouch for easy access.

The shipping does create a problem. Maybe there's a few more things you need from Campmor (check the hot deals). That's how my last order started. A gift certificate for $40 turned into a $170 order LOL.

Here's a pic. I stuffed a large pack cover in the pouch.

Frosty
01-31-2006, 22:53
I use a separate belly bag I put on after I cinch my pack hip belt:

http://trailquest.net/dlgcfannypack.html

I also have a bag hung off my hip belt,

http://trailquest.net/dlgcbeltpouch.html

though it could just as easily hang off a shoulder strap. In fact, now that I think of it, I may move it.

Whistler
02-01-2006, 00:01
Check out Simblissity (http://www.simblissity.net/) for the shoulder pockets. I have one of their wallets, and its very nicely crafted. Ultimate Direction (http://www.ultimatedirection.com/) makes various accessory pockets, but they might be too small for you.

-Mark

Footslogger
02-01-2006, 10:47
Instead of hip belt pouches I wear a small fanny pack. Bought it along the way on my thru in 2003 and it's still going strong. It goes on first and then the pack hipbelt clips underneath it. The buckle for the fanny pack is on the side and doesn't interfere with any pack straps/buckles. The fanny pack rests on the buckle from the hip belt and doesn't rub against my abdomen at all.

Nice thing about the fanny pack approach is that it holds my camera, money, snacks and essentials so that when I drop my pack I still have all that stuff with me.

As for sholder strap pouches ...I've tried about 5 or 6 different brands and finally gave up on them. I did rig some shock cord on one shoulder strap though and carry a 20oz gatorade bottle there as a suuplimental water source.

'Slogger

Frosty
02-01-2006, 12:51
Check out Simblissity (http://www.simblissity.net/) for the shoulder pockets. I have one of their wallets, and its very nicely crafted. Nice wallet, but they are not taking orders for "several weeks" while they work on a trail guide. I'm going to get one when the website re-opens for ordering, either before my hike or after and have my support person mail it to me.

Wyoming
02-01-2006, 22:04
Actually a pretty good sounding solution as well. I assume that you found some way to adjust the buckle to get it on the side vice in the middle? Or was this pouch made that way?

Wyoming
02-04-2006, 09:13
Granite Gear has decided to make pockets!

I just recieved an e-mail from Granite Gear. Enough of us must have expressed interest that they have decided to start making both hip-belt and shoulder strap pockets. They said that they will have them up on their web site in about 2 weeks or so. This sounds pretty interesting. Wyo

Footslogger
02-04-2006, 11:05

I just recieved an e-mail from Granite Gear. Enough of us must have expressed interest that they have decided to start making both hip-belt and shoulder strap pockets. They said that they will have them up on their web site in about 2 weeks or so. This sounds pretty interesting. Wyo
========================================
Curious if the hip belt pockets will be sticked down (like that of ULA) or strap-ons. I have one of the prototype strap-ons and don't like it. The pouch is not very secure on the hip belt. As part of the deal when they gave me the prototype hipbelt pouch I agreed to give them feedback. Hopefully they listened and went with something that is actually a part of the hip belt rather than a strap-on accessory.

'Slogger

Cheesewhiz
02-05-2006, 19:50
I also hear this from Granite Gear themselves a couple months ago when ordering different size shoulder straps.

Wyoming
02-05-2006, 21:06
I have no idea how they were going to make them attach..they didn't say. Hopefully they improved their design following feedback. I do like the idea of them being removable as sometimes I would not need them...but they must attach securely too. Wyo

hikerjohnd
02-05-2006, 21:16
For a few extra square inches, there is always the lid (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/GG350).

kdholmwood
02-06-2006, 12:19
I ordered hip belt pockets with my new Moonbow Gearsin, a first-class pack.
However they won't sit on the padding without getting in the way of my forearms. Using one, more or less centrally, and offsetting the belt buckle, seems to work. A lot depends on the design of the belt, waist size and pocket dimensions. The bigger the pockets, the more likely they are to inhibit arm movement. Those on the ULR P2 are perfect for me. Luckily, Jonathan at Moonbow provided detachable pockets.

Footslogger
02-06-2006, 12:25
Tried a little experiment this past weekend. I took the hip belt off my ULA Fusion (with double zip sewn-on pouches) and put it on the GG Vapor Trail. Padding is not as robust as the GG but the pouches are just what the doctor ordered.

Now ...if I could only get Granite Gear to make a hip belt like that !!

'Slogger

hikerjohnd
03-22-2006, 20:10

Any new info on a release date for these?