PDA

View Full Version : Easy No-Cook Trail Hummus

becfoot
07-10-2017, 12:04
Prepping for my section hike and I'm a big hummus eater so I developed this.

Try it out and prep all dry ingredients at home. I'm giving you what you'll need to make enough to develop it according to your own tastes and amounts.

3 tablespoons of chickpea/garbanzo bean flour (get it at larger markets with a health food/organic section. I used Bob's Red Mill brand.)
garlic powder (a dash)
cumin (a dash)
salt to taste

optional at home: a bit of cayenne, za'atar, sumac, toasted sesame seeds, whatever spices you prefer.

Optional on the trail: a shot of olive oil, lemon juice

To make it: TOAST the dry flour in a small pot over a medium flame, keep stirring, until it starts turning darker with some browner bits.
Let cool. Add dry spices to your liking.
Store in ziplocks.

On the trail: Add a bit of water (start with a tablespoon for 3 tbs. dry ingredients) and stir until you get the consistency you want. Add more if needed. Add lemon juice if desired. Once you get your preferred consistency, add a shot of olive oil. You can mix this all in the bag, then squirt onto bread, or just eat it.
Serve on wraps or whatever.
ENJOY!!!!

Dogwood
07-10-2017, 20:31
On time. THX. I've been having a harder time locating dried hummus(all hummus flour) in bulk bins or Fantastic World Foods dried Hummus Dip on shelves than previously accustomed.

Nice recipe.

Bobs Red Mill Hummus is a mix of garbanzo and fava bean flours. I will try substituting this in a dried hummus dip.

Some other ingredients that I consider is dried lemon powder, fresh pine nuts, dehydrated carrot powder. I really try to raise the cal/oz ratio. This can be accomplished by eating hummus on Kashi Fire Roasted Vegetable, Mary Janes, Dr Crackers, crackers etc. When not as concerned about this ratio reconstituted dry hummus pares well with cucumber, tuna in oil, sardines packed in EVOO(w/ skin and bones to raise fat ratios), avocado, sprouts, Israeli(Pearl) cous cous, eggplant, etc. It also makes a great extender to meals that I've added too much H20 or mashed potatoes.

saltysack
07-12-2017, 20:34
Lucky's market has good dried hummus in bulk bins...good with some spice and olive oil......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllDownhillFromHere
07-17-2017, 15:38
Could you add in sesame flour to get that 'tahini' flavor?

Which Way
11-07-2017, 19:24
Prepping for my section hike and I'm a big hummus eater so I developed this.

Try it out and prep all dry ingredients at home. I'm giving you what you'll need to make enough to develop it according to your own tastes and amounts.

3 tablespoons of chickpea/garbanzo bean flour (get it at larger markets with a health food/organic section. I used Bob's Red Mill brand.)
garlic powder (a dash)
cumin (a dash)
salt to taste

optional at home: a bit of cayenne, za'atar, sumac, toasted sesame seeds, whatever spices you prefer.

Optional on the trail: a shot of olive oil, lemon juice

To make it: TOAST the dry flour in a small pot over a medium flame, keep stirring, until it starts turning darker with some browner bits.
Let cool. Add dry spices to your liking.
Store in ziplocks.

On the trail: Add a bit of water (start with a tablespoon for 3 tbs. dry ingredients) and stir until you get the consistency you want. Add more if needed. Add lemon juice if desired. Once you get your preferred consistency, add a shot of olive oil. You can mix this all in the bag, then squirt onto bread, or just eat it.
Serve on wraps or whatever.
ENJOY!!!!

Thank you chef!

becfoot
11-07-2017, 21:34
I bet you could totally toss in sesame flour--great idea!!! I wish I had done that before my section!

scrabbler
11-07-2017, 21:44
Does Whole Foods carry this?