PDA

View Full Version : advice about Big Creek Campground

act
07-11-2017, 13:56
I am planning a section hike from Fontana to Damascus in the fall. I will be taking the Benton McKaye trail through the Smokies to avoid crowds and the shelters. Also because I prefer to use a hammock. I noticed that there is bear activity at Sterling Mountain although at this point the site is not closed. Anyway I think it would be best to not stop there which means I will have a long day (about 20 miles) in order to reach Big Creek Campground. I am having trouble finding much information about this site. There appear to be tent sites. Can I use a hammock there? Apparently it is first come first served. If I arrive late in the afternoon in late September am i likely to be able to get a spot? Any advice from the experts would be appreciated.

Gambit McCrae
07-11-2017, 14:07
Big Creek CG is a group site, that must be claimed online, and is for a large group. I would suggest moving on to the pigeon river for the night, or on up to standing bear, or even further to the top of snowbird.

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 14:11
That's not entirely correct---while there is a group campsite---individuals can also camp there..

(I have camped down there with a friend)

theres only like 12 or so sites though and they are first come first served....

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 14:13
Not sure about using a hammock though...

i tent so so I was looking at trees and all that.....

Gambit McCrae
07-11-2017, 15:54
That's not entirely correct---while there is a group campsite---individuals can also camp there..

(I have camped down there with a friend)

theres only like 12 or so sites though and they are first come first served....

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/frontcountry-camping.htm

I Very well could be wrong, but I can not find info regarding FCFS vs reservations on the site. Please show so that I can implement this in the future as it is a perfect option for late Friday night camping for early pickup sat mornings at Big Creek

HooKooDooKu
07-11-2017, 16:37
Big Creek is a GSMNP front country camp ground. These are designed with "car" campers in mind. They were NOT designed with the back-packer in mind, much less a back packer with no tent.
So you will have several concerns to worry about.

1. Reservations
Some (maybe all) GSMNP front country camp grounds have a 'Group Camp' area. These (I believe) are only available by reservation, and would obviously not be appropriate for an individual.
But the rest of the camp sites are a mixed bag of what is available by reservation and what is available on a first-come basis.
* Some camp grounds have camp site that are only available by reservations.
* Some camp grounds have camp sites only on a first-come basis.
* Some camp grounds have a mix (some sites are by reservation, some are first-come)
* What is available by reservation and what is available on a first-come might change during the year

In the case of Big Creek, there are ONLY 12 sites, and all of them are on a first-come basis.

2. Hammocks
You might have to contact GSMNP info and ask if you can camp in a hammock at front country camp sites.
The reason I say this is because back country rules treat hammocks the same as tents, and front country rules state that all tents must be pitched on the tent pad.
I don't know of any front country rules that prohibit campers setting up hammocks around their camp site, but again, because these camp sites are designed with "car campers" in mind, trees might not be available within your selected "camp site" to hang a hammock.

3. Food Storage.
GSMNP requires that food always be properly stored to protect bears from your food. Unlike places such as Yosemite NP, bears have learned to break into cars in their search for food (yet) and therefore the proper food storage at front county campgrounds is in your vehicle.
Some campsites do have a few spots designated for motor cycles. These campsites include bear lockers to place your food in. But off hand, Cosby is the only camp ground in GSMNP I know of that has motor cycle campsites.

Over all, you're going to be better off camping at Mt. Sterling:
1. Bear activity will likely diminish by September.
2. If you're going on a weekend, Mt. Sterling is very popular (so get your reservations early). So you're unlikely to be at the campground alone.

You other option would be to come off the BMT on Swallow Fork Trail and camp at #37. It too is a very popular campground which is currently closed due to bear activity. But again, that's likely to change come September.

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 16:43
Please show so that I can implement this in the future as it is a perfect option for late Friday night camping for early pickup sat mornings at Big Creek

well......on that link-----some of the other sites have links to reserve---while big creek doesnt..........so to me that would indicate first come first served...

HooKooDooKu
07-11-2017, 16:45
One other point... Baxter Creek Trail from Mt. Sterling to Big Creek is 6 miles long with more than a 4,000' elevation drop, the bulk of which averages a 15% grade.
Not the nicest of trails to end a 20 mile hike on.

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 16:45
also----for big creek--

while it is car camping----from my memory, its park the car in a small lot and walk gear into a site........

there may be one or two sites that can have the car next to it, but i know when i stayed there, we walked our stuff in.....

and its a short walk....

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 16:46
You other option would be to come off the BMT on Swallow Fork Trail and camp at #37. It too is a very popular campground which is currently closed due to bear activity. But again, that's likely to change come September.

its the most popular site in the park...........

and with that---generally comes with the most bear activity along with the most amount of mice i have seen at a backcountry site...

illabelle
07-11-2017, 16:47
I considered camping here overnight last fall ahead of a weekend in the backcountry. Because of the first-come/first-served and only 12 sites, we opted for Cosby Campground, which of course is not an option if you're not in a car. I second HooKoo's info and advice.

Big Creek is a GSMNP front country camp ground. These are designed with "car" campers in mind. They were NOT designed with the back-packer in mind, much less a back packer with no tent.
So you will have several concerns to worry about.

1. Reservations
Some (maybe all) GSMNP front country camp grounds have a 'Group Camp' area. These (I believe) are only available by reservation, and would obviously not be appropriate for an individual.
But the rest of the camp sites are a mixed bag of what is available by reservation and what is available on a first-come basis.
* Some camp grounds have camp site that are only available by reservations.
* Some camp grounds have camp sites only on a first-come basis.
* Some camp grounds have a mix (some sites are by reservation, some are first-come)
* What is available by reservation and what is available on a first-come might change during the year

In the case of Big Creek, there are ONLY 12 sites, and all of them are on a first-come basis.

2. Hammocks
You might have to contact GSMNP info and ask if you can camp in a hammock at front country camp sites.
The reason I say this is because back country rules treat hammocks the same as tents, and front country rules state that all tents must be pitched on the tent pad.
I don't know of any front country rules that prohibit campers setting up hammocks around their camp site, but again, because these camp sites are designed with "car campers" in mind, trees might not be available within your selected "camp site" to hang a hammock.

3. Food Storage.
GSMNP requires that food always be properly stored to protect bears from your food. Unlike places such as Yosemite NP, bears have learned to break into cars in their search for food (yet) and therefore the proper food storage at front county campgrounds is in your vehicle.
Some campsites do have a few spots designated for motor cycles. These campsites include bear lockers to place your food in. But off hand, Cosby is the only camp ground in GSMNP I know of that has motor cycle campsites.

Over all, you're going to be better off camping at Mt. Sterling:
1. Bear activity will likely diminish by September.
2. If you're going on a weekend, Mt. Sterling is very popular (so get your reservations early). So you're unlikely to be at the campground alone.

HooKooDooKu
07-11-2017, 16:49
well......on that link-----some of the other sites have links to reserve---while big creek doesnt..........so to me that would indicate first come first served...
Read the details on the linked page referenced. It states the following:

Campsites at Cades Cove, Cataloochee, Cosby, Elkmont, and Smokemont may be reserved online (https://www.recreation.gov/) or by phone at (877) 444-6777. Advance reservations are required at Cataloochee Campground. All remaining park campgrounds are first-come, first-served.
In the case of Cosby, I believe it's one of those camp grounds were SOME sites can be reserved and the rest are first-come.
Because Big Creek isn't on that list of sites with available online reservations, all sites at Big Creek are first-come.

HooKooDooKu
07-11-2017, 16:55
its the most popular site in the park...........

and with that---generally comes with the most bear activity along with the most amount of mice i have seen at a backcountry site...
While I don't say you're wrong about the bears... it doesn't seem like #36 gets closed very often due to bear activity... does it?
As for the mice... yea, worst site in the entire park. Only place I've ever had a food bag damaged by mice.

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 17:01
it doesn't seem like #36 gets closed very often due to bear activity... does it?

well..........at one point, it was a horse campers site only....

they wanted all the backpackers to stay down at 37...

36 is a much smaller site...

when the permit system changed---they had discussed changing 36 to both horse and backpackers...

i know that when i tried to book a spot there about ten years ago----they denied me as i didnt have livestock and they wanted it for the horse campers...

i have stayed there though-----it was part of my finished quest of staying in every open backcountry site-----but i cheated.............friends had reservation down at 37 and i just walked up to 36 and spent the night there..............but hung out down at 37 til bedtime....

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 17:02
Read the details on the linked page referenced. It states the following:

In the case of Cosby, I believe it's one of those camp grounds were SOME sites can be reserved and the rest are first-come.
Because Big Creek isn't on that list of sites with available online reservations, all sites at Big Creek are first-come.

ahhhhh........i didnt get that far down in the reading of it......

i was also just going on the what i have seen there in person.....

HooKooDooKu
07-11-2017, 18:27
well..........at one point, it was a horse campers site only....
Sorry, I got my numbers mixed up...

I thought #36 was the campers site, but looking CLOSELY at my Google Earth data confirms that #37 (Lower Walnut Bottoms) is the camper only campsite, and #36 (Upper Walnut Bottoms... located about 1/2 mile up the trail) is the horse camp.

With the relatively new online reservation system, I don't think they have anything built into the system to turn you down trying to get a permit for #36 (like making sure your pack animal count is >= person count). However, I seem to recall (when the site is open) there is a note on the #36 site indicating that #36 is the horse camp, #37 is the hiker camp, and that hikers should get a reservation at #37 instead unless it is full.

HooKooDooKu
07-11-2017, 18:50
also----for big creek--

while it is car camping----from my memory, its park the car in a small lot and walk gear into a site........

there may be one or two sites that can have the car next to it, but i know when i stayed there, we walked our stuff in.....

and its a short walk....
This is where each camp ground is different.
Most GSMNP front country campsites are 'Drive Up' sites where you drive your vehicle right up to your tent pad.
However, some of the campgrounds have a section labeled 'Tents Only' where there is a communal parking lot and you walk to your tent pad.
There's also some sites listed as 'RVs Only'. I would guess that means it's a camp site with no tent pad (you are expected to sleep in your RV).

Balsam Mountain is an example of a mixed campsite, both 'Drive Up' and 'Tent Only' camp sites are available.
Big Creek appears to be unique in that all the sites are 'Tent Only' camp sites.

I notice that the 'Tents Only' section of Balsam Mountain Campground map shows a 'Food Storage Boxes' area near by, and Cosby and Cades Cove maps both have notes about "A food storage box, intended for use by motorcyclists and others without a hardsided vehicle...". With nothing stated on the map for Big Creek, food storage might be an issue.

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 19:09
With nothing stated on the map for Big Creek, food storage might be an issue.

not really....

every site at big creek is within a five minute walk from the parking lot....

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 19:10
And there are plenty of trees to hang from, if no vehicle....

HooKooDooKu
07-11-2017, 21:11
not really....

every site at big creek is within a five minute walk from the parking lot....
I ment for the OP... without a vehicle, the only recourse would be the old style bear hang. But now that all back country sit have bear cables, I wondered if now-a-days that bear hangs might be frounded upon at front country campsites.

TNhiker
07-11-2017, 21:35
I ment for the OP... without a vehicle, the only recourse would be the old style bear hang. But now that all back country sit have bear cables, I wondered if now-a-days that bear hangs might be frounded upon at front country campsites.

Yeah...that's why i added another post about trees since op won't have vehicle...

i don't see why hanging would be frowned upon especially if one doesn't have a vehicle...

after all---they want you to store food properly and I think that's a proper method...

ill be at clingmans tomorrow for work so maybe I'll ask the ranger I'll be hanging out with if she knows...

act
07-12-2017, 09:25
I appreciate all the replies and useful information. Someone suggested talking with park rangers so I called. Big creek is FCFS but he thought I would have no problem getting a site except on a Friday or Saturday. He didm't see any problem using a hammock. I'll have a bear canister so I didm't talk with him about food protection. The BMT also goes through Smokemont and although I don't plan to stop there I called and talked with the site manager. She thought I would have no problem getting a site except on the weekend and again hammocks are OK! What an rodela arranging a trip through the Smokies!

TNhiker
07-12-2017, 16:30
i stopped by the backcountry office when i was done working at the dome and they said there is storage lockers for food.........near the restrooms....