PDA

View Full Version : Camping Dragon's Tooth - Johns Spring

rwd111
07-11-2017, 16:40
I know there's restricted camping in this area, however, I'm hoping someone can weigh in on camping options between Dragons Tooth and the next NOBO shelter. Thanks

Slo-go'en
07-11-2017, 17:54
Good luck. I believe some camp at Lost Spectacles gap, but there is no water (last water is at the Pickle Branch shelter, some 5 miles south) and is likely not legal. This is a heavily traveled section of trail with 100's of day hikers. You could go to 0.3 miles to the Catawba Grocery off of VA624 and camp behind the store. Plus they have a grill, so you can get dinner and breakfast there. Use the designated sites in this area or stay home.

Sandy of PA
07-11-2017, 19:55
Joe Mitchells yard at 4 pines hostel. Or in his garage. Baltimore Jack camped in his horse trailer.

Gambit McCrae
07-12-2017, 08:28
Joe Mitchells yard at 4 pines hostel. Or in his garage. Baltimore Jack camped in his horse trailer.

I would have to highly recommend tenting at this property. Unless you have a stout immune system.

LittleRock
07-12-2017, 15:54
I know there's restricted camping in this area, however, I'm hoping someone can weigh in on camping options between Dragons Tooth and the next NOBO shelter. Thanks
Yep, Four Pines is your best bet. Don't do what I did, which is this:

Starting a section hike at VA 311 going north, got in at dusk and rather than hiking 1 mi north to John's Spring shelter in the dark I decided to head about 100 yards south down the trail, bushwhack to the top of the ridge, and stealth camp.

It was all good until about 4 AM when some local who must have seen my tent fired several shots from his rifle directly over where I was sleeping. He must have been shooting from the trail, because I could literally see the blasts from his gun coming from that direction. Needless to say, I did not sleep another wink that night.

rwd111
07-12-2017, 15:59
Thanks for your advice. I just wanted to know about options if I got caught in severe storms between Dragons Tooth and Johns Spring.. I'll likely keep moving north until I hit Johns Spring. Thanks again