PDA

View Full Version : Evernew bladder failures?

saltysack
07-12-2017, 11:24
Recently on day one on my brief 100 mile CT trip my 2 liter evernew bladder broke at the seam near the plastic cap. Couldn't have happened at a worse place....just before segment 2 burn area ugggg. This bladder only had approx 3-4 weeks of trail use.....is this normal for evernew as thought they lasted lot longer than the sawyer bags? Bag was used with Sawyer mini so yes I squeezed as advised.....rolled from bottom mainly.

Cheyou
07-12-2017, 13:09
I had one go early because I left the filter on all the time. Good luck hope you find water bottles or something.

Thom

HooKooDooKu
07-12-2017, 13:11
I don't hear much about people having problems with Evernew.

Mine seemed to last forever... until the one day I dropped it while full of water. Landed cap-side down and the weight of the water in a 2L cracked the plastic neck.
But before that, mine lasted for years. But then again, I use my 2L Evernew with Sawyer filters in gravity mode. So mine isn't usually under a lot of pressure.

But a hiking buddy routinely uses 0.5L Evernew with Sawyer mini, and he ALWAYS squeezes. His Evernew looks pretty rough from all the use, but I don't recall him ever making mention of one blowing out on a seam while in the field.

saltysack
07-12-2017, 13:44
The reason I always carry a reg style water bottle i.e. SW along with 2 20 oz Gatorade bottles....damn bags always fail at worst times....last sawyer bag failed at beginning of JMT. Long term filtering from hard bottles is a pita but better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownEaster
07-12-2017, 13:57
I figure if I buy a Sawyer squeeze I'll want a 2L Evernew bag as a more reliable primary dirty water source -- but I can still carry the smaller Sawyer bag as a backup, in case of breakage or when I just want to collect more water at once. With exclusive gravity feed (no squeezing involved) I hope both bags should last a long time.

Venchka
07-12-2017, 17:33
$30. Walmart. Sawyer Squeeze. Faster flow than the Mini right? Doesn't that filter attach directly to a SmartWater bottle?
If my new Katadyn BeFree filter doesn't light my fire in Colorado and Wyoming, I will go backwards to a Squeeze. The WaterWorks always in reserve.
Wayne

saltysack
07-12-2017, 18:43
$30. Walmart. Sawyer Squeeze. Faster flow than the Mini right? Doesn't that filter attach directly to a SmartWater bottle?
If my new Katadyn BeFree filter doesn't light my fire in Colorado and Wyoming, I will go backwards to a Squeeze. The WaterWorks always in reserve.
Wayne

Both mini and squeeze attach to hard bottles just prefer not to drink straight thru filter as I like to gulp and often use lil Gatorade powder...soft bag easier to use but may go back to reg squeeze as flow not bad on mini but I must be squeezing lil to hard if bags breaking.....guess I don't know my own strength...[emoji51]

DuneElliot
07-12-2017, 22:26
I had one fail on me in the same place. I forgot to follow the directions and hold onto the white dot (the neck) while attaching or removing the filter, and I can see that was where and how the failure occured. This was purely a fault of mine.

scrabbler
07-12-2017, 22:49
Recently on day one on my brief 100 mile CT trip my 2 liter evernew bladder broke at the seam near the plastic cap. Couldn't have happened at a worse place....just before segment 2 burn area ugggg. This bladder only had approx 3-4 weeks of trail use.....is this normal for evernew as thought they lasted lot longer than the sawyer bags? Bag was used with Sawyer mini so yes I squeezed as advised.....rolled from bottom mainly.
How old was the bag though? I've had the same bad luck with the Sawyer bags, both with the Mini and Squeeze. In all cases of failures, the usage wasnt that high, but the age of bag from first use to failure was probably a little over a year.

KDogg
07-12-2017, 23:47
All these type of soft bottles fail at the same place. The way to prolong this is to make sure you hold onto the 'neck' of the bottle when you tighten or loosen anything screwed onto it.

saltysack
07-13-2017, 07:59
I had one fail on me in the same place. I forgot to follow the directions and hold onto the white dot (the neck) while attaching or removing the filter, and I can see that was where and how the failure occured. This was purely a fault of mine.

I usually hold the hard plastic by the dot.......but was in a dehydrated delirium so it's possible I didn't...I just ordered another evernew 2000 on amazon.....debating on going back to the original squeeze. The bag was bought last June, so just over a year old....less than 30 days of use....

QiWiz
07-13-2017, 14:53
For me the 2 liter Evernew containers have had great durability (several years of use) but I do not squeeze them to apply pressure to a filter, just use as water containers.

tagg
07-14-2017, 15:03

I did the same thing to a 1.5 liter evernew bag - never noticed I should be holding the neck when screwing the sawyer on/off until it weakened the plastic and started leaking. I replaced it, am now careful when screwing the sawyer on/off, and haven't had a problem using the same bag for years - and I squeeze it pretty hard when filtering.