PDA

View Full Version : Does OR still make rain mitts?

TwoForty
01-31-2006, 22:25
I know OR used to make a few different kidsn of rain gloves/mitts that went over just your hand or over an insulated glove. I can't seem to find any on their site though. Do they sill make them?
I'd rather have OR gloves, but do others make a simple shell glove out of goretex or something WPB (yeah, I know, it's not really that breathable)?

I have some insulated REI gloves that are good in the rain, but they are often too warm and take forever to dry.

Tha Wookie
01-31-2006, 22:27
I know OR used to make a few different kidsn of rain gloves/mitts that went over just your hand or over an insulated glove. I can't seem to find any on their site though. Do they sill make them?
I'd rather have OR gloves, but do others make a simple shell glove out of goretex or something WPB (yeah, I know, it's not really that breathable)?

I have some insulated REI gloves that are good in the rain, but they are often too warm and take forever to dry.

I have a pair of them. they don't work at all.

orangebug
01-31-2006, 22:29
I think they quit making them. There is a design flaw in that the elastic wrist band was too tight to let larger mits/gloves through. Someone posting a procedure for "fixing' it. I think you could do just as well with a silnylon bag or something home made.

TwoForty
01-31-2006, 23:23
Ah, that would explain it then. I guess I'll just get some mid weight gloves for hiking and getting wet and use my warm/dry ones to warm up at camp.

hammock engineer
01-31-2006, 23:46
I have used the seal skins gloves with mixed results. They worked for me until they got wet. After that they would not dry out the rest of the trip.

I used them on a river trip that rained for the 3 days of the trip. They worked well the first day. After that they got wet. I also do not like the outer material. Plant seeds like to stick to them and are a pain to get off.

Patrick
02-01-2006, 01:56
I've been looking all week for some uninsulated waterproof gloves and have had zero luck. Why is layering the mantra of everything but gloves? Just like the rest of me, I want to be able to get a waterproof outer layer and an insulating layer next to my skin. It seems like every glove out there is either a huge ski-type glove or thin, but just "water resistant".

Am I just oblivious to waterproof shell gloves or does someone know of a good pair? Sorry if I'm hijacking. I'd be happy with something like those OR mitts. I remember them, but never got to try them out.

ScottP
02-01-2006, 02:06
http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/handtools/gloves/ascent/71130

MedicineMan
02-01-2006, 02:33
i use the lobster claws and have no complaints but even better are an old pair of plain mitts that weigh at most 2oz for both....
I've used the Sealskinz Gauntlet gloves for several years now sea kayaking....i dont use them to keep dry but to keep the sun off my hands/forearm...HammockHanger is dead on in that once wet it takes several years for them to dry and if it is breezy the evaporative cooling will knock on your hand's door...they are tough though and my pair has an easy 1000 miles of paddling on them with no visible signs of wear..

verber
02-01-2006, 02:52
Comments about OR's rain mittens being end-of-lifed and BMW plan to release something simular: http://www.ryanjordan.com/weblog/2005/11/the_death_of_ra.html

There is a company in the UK which sells mittens which are simular to the old OR mitts but expensive: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product75.asp

Just Jeff
02-01-2006, 02:52
http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/handtools/gloves/ascent/71130

I just got some of these a few weeks ago. I wore them watching TV and they got pretty humid after about 5 minutes. Obviously it was warmer in the house than it would be in the snow, but I'm not so sure I believe the breathable part.

I might be taking a snow trip mid-Feb...I'll see how they work then.

Peaks
02-01-2006, 09:30
If you are looking for something to keep hands warm when it's wet outside, how about checking out kayaker's gloves

nattyd123
02-01-2006, 09:54
I've seen some silnylon mittens out there in cyberspace somewhere...I'll try to find them again.

icemanat95
02-01-2006, 10:06
All waterproof breathable materials depend on a differential in humidity and temperature between the interior of the garment and the exterior, the greater the differential, the greater the performance, thus a WPB garment is going to work better when it is cold and dry outside (winter conditions) than when it is hot and humid. In your house you lose the strong temperature differential.

OR still looks to have a solid product line. I have some Wild Country Extremities mitts as well (super warm mountaineering mitts). You could also contact Ragged Mountain Gear and see what they have for you.

Footslogger
02-01-2006, 10:23
[quote=Patrick]I've been looking all week for some uninsulated waterproof gloves and have had zero luck.

===================================
Let me know if you find any Patrick. I personally have 2 pair of the OR Rain Mittss (and like them very much). I haven't had any of the elastic problems mentioned by others here. The reason for 2 pair is that one is Medium and the other is Large. Depending on the season and the thickness of the liner glove I am wearing I sometimes need to go up to the large.

'Slogger

Mags
02-01-2006, 11:39
I've seen some silnylon mittens out there in cyberspace somewhere...I'll try to find them again.

http://www.thepacka.com/page4.html

I wear them in combo with wool liner gloves. For less than 3 oz, I have a versatile and adaptable 3 season hiking system.

Let me survive this nasty storm:
http://www.magnanti.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=6088

sarbar
02-01-2006, 11:55
Hmmmmmmm...I'll have to go down to the OR store. My boyfriend works pretty close to it. They sell items in the store that are not sold elsewhere. Best is the sales they have. Woo-hoo! Be intresting to see what kind of gloves they carry these days....
And if they are trying out anything different.

Footslogger
02-01-2006, 12:00
[quote=sarbar]Hmmmmmmm...I'll have to go down to the OR store. My boyfriend works pretty close to it. They sell items in the store that are not sold elsewhere.
=======================================
Very true. One example that comes to mind is the "Double Bug Bivy". It was in their catalogue and on-line for years and just vanished one day. When I was in the market for one (or thought I was, since I ended up buying 2 of the one-person models) I called them directly. Turns out they have several of them in stock but due to low demand they took them out of production and lifted them from their ads.

'Slogger

sarbar
02-01-2006, 19:38
[quote=sarbar]Hmmmmmmm...I'll have to go down to the OR store. My boyfriend works pretty close to it. They sell items in the store that are not sold elsewhere.
=======================================
Very true. One example that comes to mind is the "Double Bug Bivy". It was in their catalogue and on-line for years and just vanished one day. When I was in the market for one (or thought I was, since I ended up buying 2 of the one-person models) I called them directly. Turns out they have several of them in stock but due to low demand they took them out of production and lifted them from their ads.

'Slogger
Yep, they have unadvertised sales often. I picked up my OR Wild Roses Celestaial jacket for under $70 at one..in a color they were not selling. They have bins, bins and more bins full of one of a kind products-test items, weird colors, etc. You can get Croc gaiters for 1/3 of the price, OR hats for $5! Yes, being a gear whore is a good thing ;)

TwoForty
02-01-2006, 23:36
[quote=Footslogger]
Yep, they have unadvertised sales often. I picked up my OR Wild Roses Celestaial jacket for under $70 at one..in a color they were not selling. They have bins, bins and more bins full of one of a kind products-test items, weird colors, etc. You can get Croc gaiters for 1/3 of the price, OR hats for $5! Yes, being a gear whore is a good thing ;)
I'm living on the wrong side of the country. All the cool stores are in the PNW.