PDA

View Full Version : Any heart patients out there?

Programbo
01-31-2006, 23:05
Almost 2 years ago I suffered what is commonly called a "massive heart attack" but what is really Sudden Cardiac Death..Within 20 minutes of my first faint symptom I was "dead" but luckily the paramedics arrived in time to shock my heart back into a normal rhythm..I say luckily because what I experienced is fatal in 95% of cases...Anyway to make a long story short I suffered a bit of damage to my heart mainly in the chamber which pumps the oxygen rich blood thru the body so I tire easily and have had a slow recovery..Plus I must take 4 medications to keep my heart rate lower so as to starve off heart failure in the future..My normal BP in the mornings is like 94/52..But I am now slowly working up to some very short day hikes and hopefully will continue to advance..So I`m seeking some inspirational stories from anyone else on the board here who has come back from anything similar and gone on to anything near a normal hiking pace. :)

neo
02-01-2006, 00:15
Almost 2 years ago I suffered what is commonly called a "massive heart attack" but what is really Sudden Cardiac Death..Within 20 minutes of my first faint symptom I was "dead" but luckily the paramedics arrived in time to shock my heart back into a normal rhythm..I say luckily because what I experienced is fatal in 95% of cases...Anyway to make a long story short I suffered a bit of damage to my heart mainly in the chamber which pumps the oxygen rich blood thru the body so I tire easily and have had a slow recovery..Plus I must take 4 medications to keep my heart rate lower so as to starve off heart failure in the future..My normal BP in the mornings is like 94/52..But I am now slowly working up to some very short day hikes and hopefully will continue to advance..So I`m seeking some inspirational stories from anyone else on the board here who has come back from anything similar and gone on to anything near a normal hiking pace. :)

there is a guy on white blaze named fiveway,because he had 5 way bypass surgery,my health issue i am recently diagnosed with diabetes,and hepatitis c a few years back,i am doing great:cool: neo

Pacific Tortuga
02-01-2006, 01:48
I hiked for 5 years with light chest pain about the size of a quarter,Cardiologist said awe its nothing,stress and angziety,you'll be fine.Three years later with many hikes under foot they find a decending T wave.Well,somethings not right, go get a angio plasty. I'm in bed waiting for the OK to go home and a small mob of DR's surround my bed and let me know that I have to get a quad by-pass.......NOW! WOO there puppy, I need to sort this out and update my will. The quad was done Sept.22 2004 49y.o. I am now up to 20-30 miles a week with 25lbs pack.Feeling good with a little ankle pain and swelling from the graph but its not stopping me. The problem is my pipes are clean so do I, go for the artery clogger meal or a low on the food chain vege life style.For my dream of getting on the trail I'll go for the latter...BUT...on the trail all bets are off. Keep up the good work, your path looks longer and harder than mine,GET ER DONE.

ed bell
02-01-2006, 14:43
there is a guy on white blaze named fiveway,because he had 5 way bypass surgery,my health issue i am recently diagnosed with diabetes,and hepatitis c a few years back,i am doing great:cool: neo

Neo, Glad to hear you are doing well, I remember when you first shared your health difficulties with us. Keep up the positive attitude! Hike on!:sun

Programbo, Hang in there, I always felt that the love of hiking is a true blessing that can impact one's life in countless ways. Health is definitly one of them. I hope more members here keep the positive stories comming for you.:sun

Toolshed
02-01-2006, 16:07
ProgramBo,
Where do I start....
I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve and has had aortic insufficiency most of my life, however it did not affect me until I was 34 (1994) when I spent 2 months on IV antibiotocs after a near death battle with endocarditis that destroyed the valve completely. From then until 3 weeks ago I have been on an unending stream of Calcium Channel blockers, Beta Blockers, Diuretics, anti-arrythmias, anti-herptensies and ace inhibitors.
from 1995 to 2000 I went downhill gradually - I was still backpacking quite a bit as well as kayaking and cycling, but I was winded easily, gained weight and tired easily.
I had my aortic valve replaced with a Porcine (Pig) Valve in Jan 2002, but then my aorta burst and I lost almost all of my blood and emergency surgery to re-open me and stitch up my aorta saved my life, however, in the process, the new valve peeled a bit from the wall, creating another leak.

I recovered quickly and was back on the trail by April doing light backpacking and longer trips by June 2002. However, on the AT in Mass late spring 2005, I suffered a palpitation, where my heart went fibrillations and I almost passed out. I got off the trail (terrified) and sought out my cardio the following week. He set me up for a cardio Catheter and found that the new valve from 2002 had torn away from the aorta and was hanging by threads. They aborted the catheter for fear of dislodging it into my bloodstream.

I ended up 2 weeks later as a paitient for urgent surgery for a new valve - a mechanical valve at a top heart hospital (Brigham Womans in Boston). This was July. I spent through October recovering (it was tougher this time) and was just taken off all reamining heart drugs several weeks ago.
I am still recovering - I cannot really backpack a full day but I can dayhike a about 8 miles, though still very tired at the end of the day. I am working out twice daily with light weights and aerobics to get back into fighting form.

What really kept my outlook positive during the past few years was folks telling me they feel sorry for me and how horrible it must be for whatI have gone through. I think I amaze them because I consider myself lucky. I count what I do have, no cholesterol, no cancer, no diabetes, no other diseases and many people around me who care.

I still go to the doctor a lot and I can't imagine a life without at least 1 visit a month, (compared to friends who go 2-3 years without a visit) but I think of how lucky we are to have the kind of medical care available to us in the States without multi-year waits and antiquated equipment or technology.... and I thank my lucky stars!!!

rcli4
02-01-2006, 18:06
In 1997 I had congestive heart failure. I was lucky, my wife is a nurse well versed in cardiac care. I began feel a pain in my back about 9 at night and told her at 1 in the morning. She took me to the hospital and they ran test and said I was alright, probably gas. When the cardioligist arrived he was checking the machine they had hooked up to me when my lights went out. When I woke up there were people all around. The PA asked the Dr. if he should get me a bed in CCU and the Dr. told him don't bother I wasn't going to make it. Well I made it. They put in 2 stents. I started walking when I got out of the hospital and met a lady on the rail trail with a backpack on. She told me about the AT. That's what started this hiking desease I have. In 2002 I hiked the long trail. Thought I was going to die going up Stratton Mtn. and hoped I would die going up Glastenbury. After about 2 weeks I was ready to quit I was so tired. Liteshoe made me keep going. After the third week it was fun. I haven't looked back. Been hiking regularly ever since. I am thruhiking the AT this year. If it kills me I will die in a good place. If it dosen't I will have realized a dream and enjoyed myself.

Clyde

vipahman
02-01-2006, 18:36
I am thruhiking the AT this year. If it kills me I will die in a good place. If it dosen't I will have realized a dream and enjoyed myself.
Attaboy Clyde. :clap Wish you the best of luck.

ed bell
02-01-2006, 20:23
Sometimes I get put off by negative posts/ petty arguments that flare up around here from time to time, but you get a thread like this one, and it restores you faith in the WB community. All of you who have or will share your stories are, or should be an inspiration to every hiker. Thanks from this one.:sun

E.D. Bell