PDA

View Full Version : 3 day hike idea NC with teens in October

getz happy
07-13-2017, 12:27
Hi! New here, new to hiking, new to camping and new to the AT.

My family has hiked the AT twice, both short hikes (3 miles on Roan Mountain and 5 miles starting in Hot Springs) I have a 15 yr old and twin 12 yr olds. I am trying to plan a AT hiking trip for Columbus Day weekend. We live near Raleigh NC and I'm thinking we will head west on Friday mid day. Plan is to camp Fri, Sat and Sun night along the trail and hike Sat, Sun and short hike Mon. Heading back home Monday late afternoon.

Wants/needs:

-drive no more than 5 hours from Raleigh
-terrain not unbearably difficult (we don't mind some difficulty in some places, just not the majority of the time)
-pretty views mainly for the kids (don't want to spend the whole trip in thick forests. a few balds would be great)
-hiking no more than 7-8 miles per day

So, here are my questions. Hoping someone might be able to help me figure this out.

-Where to start (where to park car)
-Where to stop and set up camp each night
-How to get back to car at end of hike
-What foods to take to feed family of 5
-How to replenish water supply
-Should we take tents that sleep 2-3 or each person take a single person tent (bc of weight)

Just suggestions please, no criticism. Thanks!

illabelle
07-13-2017, 14:04
Your questions cover an awful lot of ground, so you might not get in-depth answers.
Some resources that might be helpful to you:
Online distance calculator. Shows shelters, many road crossings, but usually not campsites.
www.atdist.com
AT trail guide. Shows locations of water, shelters, campsites, road crossings, views, trail intersections etc, in a unique format that also shows the elevation profile.
www.theatguide.com
Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Tons of basic info on safety, equipment, food, navigation, wildlife, rules and regs, etc.
www.appalachiantrail.org
ATC Shuttle List. Call someone in the area you want to go, tell them your plans, and agree on the time/place/price.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-amp-vandalism-2016-11-28.pdf?sfvrsn=0
Be sure to get good trail maps of the areas you wish to visit.

Generally, a 2-3 person tent will weigh less than 2 or 3 single-person tents. Just take what you already have.
You need a water filter, or chemical treatment to get water from natural sources.
Google "backpacking equipment" and start learning about options.

This ought to keep you busy for a while.

Venchka
07-13-2017, 15:29
Talk to the folks at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs. They can put together an itinerary for you. Drive to Hot Springs. Get a shuttle north or south and hike back to Hot Springs.
Does REI have a store in Raleigh? They probably put on How To programs for beginners. RENT equipment if at all possible. You could outfit 5 for 1 trip and only 1 person ever goes backpacking again. Ask me how I know.
Have fun. Y'all might be ready in 2018. I'm not trying be ugly. Just realistic. Have you car camped before? A good way to start. Car camp. Day hike.
Mountain Harbor B&B is another good place to park and get a shuttle south and hike back to the car. Lots of views along the way. They are on Hwy 19E at the TN-NC border.
Start as early as possible on Friday. It gets dark early. Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Viking
07-13-2017, 15:31
Sounds like you are beginners.

You pretty much want to concentrate your trip between Standing Bear Farm (I40) to Damascus/Elk Gardens. Bland/Adkins/northern Mt Rogers VA areas maybe possible in your drive frame.
Do you want creekside, open/wooded mountain top, or waterfalls?

Use trail town/hostel services for shuttling to your starting point or pickup point.

Watauga Lake is the only camping restriction. I40 to Hot Springs is bear area.

Depending on the summer heat, water tables may dry up on ridgetops.

I would suggest testing your gear and endurance around Raleigh. Hike the Eno River and Falls Lake Trail with your gear. Check in with Great Outdoor Provisions or REI for gear and advice. They also provided guided hikes for beginners. Get maps and guides. Summer heat/humidity will zap you quick if you not prepared.

HooKooDooKu
07-13-2017, 15:35
I've got a suggestion that is a bit of a stretch for your requirements but would be a fun hike for October. It's a hike in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It includes a fire tower, a bald, and even a small water fall.

Day 1
Drive to Twentymile Ranger Station in the south-west corner of GSMNP.
It's less than a 2 mile hike along a genital slope to reach campsite #93.
Along the way, you will pass the 18' tall Twentymile Creek Cascade.

Day 2
Continue along Twentymile Trail where once you pass an intersection, it becomes a steep climb in 2 miles to the AT.
Once you reach the AT, turn right and you can reach Shuckstack Fire Tower in less than 1/2 mile.
After the tower, return along the AT from the direction you came. In about 1-1/2 miles will be the short side trail to campsite #113.

Day 3
Continue climbing the AT ridge line til you reach the intersection at Doe Knob in about 2 miles. Turn left onto Gregory Bald Trail.
In another 3 miles, you will reach Gregory Bald with a 360º view.
Continue past the bald to campsite #13.

Day 4
Leave campsite #13 on Wolf Ridge Trail.
Along the way, you will pass over the now overgrown Parson Bald.
It's about a 7 mile hike back down to your car to complete the loop.
It's less than a 2 mile hike to campsite #93 for Friday Night.
2. Continue up Twentymile trail to climb to the AT in about 3.5 miles.

saltysack
07-13-2017, 17:56
Standing Indian loop outside franklin good newbie hike.....lil far from R

getz happy
07-13-2017, 18:00
thank you so much!

ZombieDust66
07-23-2017, 09:13
4 day hike I took with my daughter beauty gap to 19E

https://youtu.be/OfVtRVeYDvU

doingtime
07-23-2017, 14:45
I recommend the Mt Rogers area. Start/end at Grindstone campground. Take the Mt Rogers trail to the AT, take the AT through the park (ponies, unreal views and camping spots). You can't camp in the park, but you have plenty of choices before and after.

PM me for more info. I think I have a map somewhere.

doingtime
07-23-2017, 14:47
http://files.meetup.com/751131/Mount%20Rogers%20Map%20with%20our%20Route.JPG

JPritch
07-25-2017, 13:29
Roan Highlands. End of thread. ;)

Rmcpeak
07-25-2017, 16:05
Indian Grave to 19E. 42?? Miles. Or go all the way to Uncle Johnny's in Erwin. Get Mountain Harbour to shuttle you. The kids will like Overmountain Shelter.

Rmcpeak
07-25-2017, 16:27
Indian Grave to 19E. 42?? Miles. Or go all the way to Uncle Johnny's in Erwin. Get Mountain Harbour to shuttle you. The kids will like Overmountain Shelter.

Marie at Hikershuttles.com out of Erwin is also an excellent option.

HooKooDooKu
07-25-2017, 19:51
Why are you providing additional suggestions?
Didn't you see Roan Highlands is closing this thread? ;)

Rmcpeak
07-25-2017, 20:46
Why are you providing additional suggestions?
Didn't you see Roan Highlands is closing this thread? ;)

That section is Roan Highlands.

Rmcpeak
07-25-2017, 20:47
That section is Roan Highlands.

Was trying to trick them into it! But I proposed a bit too much mileage me thinks.

DaddyLongLegs1187
07-26-2017, 17:53
The Standing Indian Loop is a good hike and not too challanging if you go Southbound.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

jfconnolly2
07-28-2017, 13:27
I recommend the Mt Rogers area. Start/end at Grindstone campground. Take the Mt Rogers trail to the AT, take the AT through the park (ponies, unreal views and camping spots). You can't camp in the park, but you have plenty of choices before and after.

PM me for more info. I think I have a map somewhere.I 2nd this suggestion (but also feel the Roan Highlands is a good suggestion as well). The best thing about Mount Rogers/Grayson Highlands (besides the ponies) is the numerous trails, so you can shorten or lengthen your hike depending on how everyone feels and the weather. Hiked this area twice in the last three years, with teenagers and intermittent to pouring rain, and had a great time. The views are tremendous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk