PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek

Rowdy Yates
07-14-2017, 17:13
I have a sheet of Tyvek that I purchased from SMD. Is there some way to make that sheet a little softer and less stiff? :o

Farr Away
07-14-2017, 17:35
Not sure how big your sheet of tyvek is, but I washed mine in the washing machine.

-FA

hikermiker
07-14-2017, 17:43
Washing it in a washing machine that has an agitator a couple of times or folding and refolding a couple of hundred times will work.

Rowdy Yates
07-14-2017, 18:13
Not sure how big your sheet of tyvek is, but I washed mine in the washing machine.

-FA

Did you use detergent of any kind when washing?

BuckeyeBill
07-14-2017, 19:48
I don't use detergent and don't use fabric softener.

Franco
07-14-2017, 21:12
I roll them up newspaper like and then crunch it (twist the ends in the opposite direction)

Calvin N
07-14-2017, 23:14
Just use it and it will be less noisy over time.

scrabbler
07-15-2017, 00:02
Just as an aside, HardiWrap is similar (they claim better of course) and it's not crinkly.

Toolumpy
07-18-2017, 07:17
Look up Tyvek on Amazon. I purchased a piece for my footprint, real light and no noise at all.
3m (3.2 Yards) of Tyvek 43gsm 1443R Kitemaking Material | Tent Ground Cloths | Durable, Strong, Lightweight, Breathable

egilbe
07-18-2017, 07:36
Look up Tyvek on Amazon. I purchased a piece for my footprint, real light and no noise at all.
3m (3.2 Yards) of Tyvek 43gsm 1443R Kitemaking Material | Tent Ground Cloths | Durable, Strong, Lightweight, Breathable

I bought that stuff to replace my tyvek footprint I bought from SMD. I cut it so it actually fit the footprint of my Haven tarp, rather than just the bugnet.

OCDave
07-18-2017, 08:34
Putting Tyvek in a washing machine is unnecessary and wasteful. Just crumple, twist and manipulate the noise out of it. Vigourously manipulated it will be tamed in a fraction of the time required to run a washing machine cycle without wasting water or electricity.

I shake my head when I read these posts about someone wanting to hike over 2000 miles but can't spend 10 minutes preparinging their Tyvek.

saltysack
07-18-2017, 10:13
Putting Tyvek in a washing machine is unnecessary and wasteful. Just crumple, twist and manipulate the noise out of it. Vigourously manipulated it will be tamed in a fraction of the time required to run a washing machine cycle without wasting water or electricity.

I shake my head when I read these posts about someone wanting to hike over 2000 miles but can't spend 10 minutes preparinging their Tyvek.

Good point.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
07-18-2017, 10:28
Is this Tyvek noise like the mythical Xtherm noise?
Just curious in case I need to replace my plastic solutions.
Has anyone tried the kite material Tyvek?
Wayne

Farr Away
07-18-2017, 10:50

Well since I stuck mine in with a complete load that I was washing anyway, I didn't consider it wasteful.

-FA

saltysack
07-18-2017, 11:05
Is this Tyvek noise like the mythical Xtherm noise?
Just curious in case I need to replace my plastic solutions.
Has anyone tried the kite material Tyvek?
Wayne

Definitely quieter...I ordered it but found the polycro works well and cheaper...

OCDave
07-18-2017, 11:42
Well since I stuck mine in with a complete load that I was washing anyway, I didn't consider it wasteful.

-FA

Still, you qualify for the "I can't be bothered to handle my Tyvek" crowd.

Venchka
07-18-2017, 16:55
Definitely quieter...I ordered it but found the polycro works well and cheaper...

Thanks. I've got enough painter's plastic and window film to keep my 3 tents protected for years.
On the other hand, Tyvek on the ground. Tent floor on Tyvek. Where is the sound coming from?
Wayne

AllDownhillFromHere
07-18-2017, 21:58
It's their water and electricity to waste.

OCDave
07-18-2017, 23:09
It's their water and electricity to waste.

I see things a bit differently than that. I think all the water belongs to all of us. The cost of generating electricity burdens us all beyond the balance due at the end of the month. I think that conservation is everyone's responsibility. I would expect those who share an appreciation for nature and all that it gives us would not waste any of it.

But of course, just my point of view. I'll do my part to save the planet for the both of us.

DownEaster
07-19-2017, 00:11
I think all the water belongs to all of us.
So you're going to start at the south end of the PCT without water and just take it from other hikers? That is what your "belongs to all of us" claim advocates.

Nuts!

Traffic Jam
07-19-2017, 08:32

-FA
Shame on you. Don't you know you're supposed to warsh your clothes in the crik with a board?

saltysack
07-19-2017, 08:39
I see things a bit differently than that. I think all the water belongs to all of us. The cost of generating electricity burdens us all beyond the balance due at the end of the month. I think that conservation is everyone's responsibility. I would expect those who share an appreciation for nature and all that it gives us would not waste any of it.

But of course, just my point of view. I'll do my part to save the planet for the both of us.

Agree wish more folks actually gave a ****.....

Traffic Jam
07-19-2017, 09:01
Agree wish more folks actually gave a ****.....

saltysack
07-19-2017, 10:03
People can give a **** and still use modern conveniences. Those people will do their part in other ways. There's no one on this forum, including you, who lives 100% without those things that make life a little easier. So lets lambast the person who uses a washing machine but has been bike commuting to work for 5 years and religiously recycles, spins her own yarn, knits and weaves articles of clothing for her family and home out of discarded clothing and linen...and on and on. :)

I should have been clearer.....I'm not pointing fingers...I've washed tyvek before...god help me...just referring to some people's lack of caring and when it comes to conservation and preservation of our natural resources....

Smithereens
07-19-2017, 22:49
So you're going to start at the south end of the PCT without water and just take it from other hikers? That is what your "belongs to all of us" claim advocates.

Nuts!

The Earth is a closed ecosystem, it's just a big (actually, a very, very small) bubble floating in the vacuum of space. What we have now is all that we will ever have... there's no space convoys trucking stuff in for us. The water in your soda and coffee? It's billions of years old... most likely older than the earth itself. We don't own it, but we do all share it.

MuddyWaters
07-20-2017, 00:12
The Earth is a closed ecosystem, it's just a big (actually, a very, very small) bubble floating in the vacuum of space. What we have now is all that we will ever have... there's no space convoys trucking stuff in for us. The water in your soda and coffee? It's billions of years old... most likely older than the earth itself. We don't own it, but we do all share it.

+No shortage of water
Just excess of people.that
- choose to live where it isnt
,- allow what have to be polluted

Farr Away
07-20-2017, 16:40
Shame on you. Don't you know you're supposed to warsh your clothes in the crik with a board?

I actually have a wash board, but no, I wouldn't want to use it for all our laundry. I did try it once, although not in the crik. ;)

I guess I could have used it for the tyvek, but I also have a lot of other stuff that needs to get done. On the other hand, I do drive an electric vehicle, and we do generate our own electricity. :)

Trade-offs.

-FA

HooKooDooKu
07-20-2017, 17:06
I think all the water belongs to all of us.
Check into water rights laws and you'll find that, at least legally, you are wrong.

The only water that belongs to you is...
1. The water you've paid for, or
2. The water you have legal rights too.

And you might be surprised as to what water you DON'T have rights to under option #2 above.

As an example, I'm sure that it would surprise many people to learn that in Colorado, you don't have rights to the water that falls (i.e. rains) on your property. Yes, it is illegal to collect rain water that falls on your house.
(Actually, it was just last year that that was slightly amended by law... Colorado residence may now collect and store up to 110 gallons of rainwater... as long as they put it back in the ground on their property).

Traffic Jam
07-20-2017, 18:04
I actually have a wash board, but no, I wouldn't want to use it for all our laundry. I did try it once, although not in the crik. ;)

I guess I could have used it for the tyvek, but I also have a lot of other stuff that needs to get done. On the other hand, I do drive an electric vehicle, and we do generate our own electricity. :)

Trade-offs.

-FA

yep, it's a trade off...

Those hand-powered washing machines look cool and supposedly only take a few minutes.

Traffic Jam
07-20-2017, 18:07
I should have been clearer.....I'm not pointing fingers...I've washed tyvek before...god help me...just referring to some people's lack of caring and when it comes to conservation and preservation of our natural resources....

yeah...sorry. A case of untimely post plus "angry old lady". ;)

(Which is why I deleted it but you quoted me too quickly.).

OCDave
07-20-2017, 20:17
Sorry folks, didn't mean to offend. The point is, Tyvek is easily tamed manually. Certainly, you are all within your rights to utilize any appliance or resources you wish to do the job.

Franco
07-26-2017, 18:49
I'm sorry I suggested a simple and fast no cost solution.
For some reason I keep forgetting that people prefer complex and costlier versions because simple seems like cheating or something... well I don't know what.

Hosh
07-26-2017, 21:31
Check into water rights laws and you'll find that, at least legally, you are wrong.

The only water that belongs to you is...
1. The water you've paid for, or
2. The water you have legal rights too.

And you might be surprised as to what water you DON'T have rights to under option #2 above.

As an example, I'm sure that it would surprise many people to learn that in Colorado, you don't have rights to the water that falls (i.e. rains) on your property. Yes, it is illegal to collect rain water that falls on your house.
(Actually, it was just last year that that was slightly amended by law... Colorado residence may now collect and store up to 110 gallons of rainwater... as long as they put it back in the ground on their property).

You are on the mark. Living in the the east or southeast is a whole different world from the Western states. In "bad" snow years, reservoirs shrink by hundreds of feet. I remember when you could not see Dillon Reservoir, a major Denver water supply, from the I70 interstate. This year the reservoirs are full and the rivers are still rip'in late into July. Google Lake Powell water levels to see how dramatic the spring runoff effects storage levels, unless you think Hoover Dam should be destroyed and the Colorado River returned to it's "natural" state.

Legend has it, a land owner above Central City dug out a small catch basin pond to capture runoff. Lawyers from Coors Brewing showed up threatening to sue their socks off if they didn't remove the basin. Guess who owned the water rights.

Many have died in the old west, stealing or protecting water rights.

Personally, I only wash my Tyvek with my Arc'teryx brand clothing or my Western Mountaineering sleeping bags in my computer controlled LG $1200 washer. I wish Apple had an app so I could start the washer from Long's Peak.

Another Kevin
07-28-2017, 16:02

Does your assessment change when the Tyvek is soiled? About half the reason that I carry mine is to have a clean place to lay out gear or bathe. Eventually it's dirty enough that I have to launder it to have a clean place again.

OCDave
07-28-2017, 16:15
Does your assessment change when the Tyvek is soiled? About half the reason that I carry mine is to have a clean place to lay out gear or bathe. Eventually it's dirty enough that I have to launder it to have a clean place again.

No, shake it off, spray with a hose or wipe it with damp rag. Any soiling is superficial not intergrated into the fibers as with cloth so your Tyvek isn't significantly cleaner after a 30 minute wash cycle than a 30 second hose down.

AllDownhillFromHere
07-28-2017, 16:51
Hard thread to follow with all the blocked posts and quotes of quotes, but for those in the "the water and electricity and air belong to everyone" camp, just curious - you're vegan, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hosh
07-28-2017, 17:00
I am not vegan, but opposed to cow flatulence.

I am now using my dishwasher to poach some wild salmon, line caught of course.

OCDave
07-28-2017, 18:12
Hard thread to follow with all the blocked posts and quotes of quotes, but for those in the "the water and electricity and air belong to everyone" camp, just curious - you're vegan, right?...[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Your blocking me and will not receive my response... but no, I am a meatatarian. That does not preclude me from being frugal and attentive to enviromental issues.

Dogwood
07-28-2017, 18:20
I am not vegan, but opposed to cow flatulence.
I am now using my dishwasher to poach some wild salmon, line caught of course.

LOL. You must be an Uler... washing the dishes and poaching salmon at the same time... :cool:

Dogwood
07-28-2017, 18:24
Peeing on new Tyvek softens it up. :D

If you do wash it don't dry it in a dryer on high heat or it gets hard, balled up, and shrinks. I periodically measure Tyvek ground cloths after drying in the hot sun and even that can result in shrinkage. Same for window wrap.

bret
08-16-2017, 08:33
I liked Tyvek (1443) a lot for a footprint until it got soaked from heavy rain and went from 4oz to 12oz (weighed when I got home). Now I'm going to use thin plastic that will not soak up water. YMMV but holding a half pound of rain is a deal breaker for me.

Franco
08-17-2017, 20:55
Standard Homewrap Tyvek is much better as a groundsheet.
just roll it up, twist the ends and it is soft enough to use without that loud sound it makes when new.