PDA

View Full Version : Where to hike near Massie Gap

funtohike
07-17-2017, 03:49
I'm looking for suggestions on a section hike approx 20-25 miles for 2 nights near Virginia Highlands. I have a shuttle arranged from Damascus.

illabelle
07-17-2017, 04:57
From Massie Gap to Damascus is just over 30 miles. Maybe that's your section?
Or if you want to go in the other direction, Troutdale is about 18 miles north of Massie Gap.

10-K
07-17-2017, 07:33
Fox Creek to Summit Cut - 24.1 miles.

LittleRock
07-17-2017, 07:51
If you're not set on hiking the AT the whole time, consider taking the AT from Massie Gap over to Pine Mtn, then taking the Pine Mtn trail back over to the AT on Wilburn Ridge, possibly taking a side trip over to Thomas Knob and Mt Rodgers before descending back down to Massie Gap. I think it's around 20 miles including the side trip.

The first 20 miles of the AT north of Damascus really isn't that interesting, IMO.

funtohike
07-17-2017, 08:27
Thanks for the suggestions. Last summer my group hiked from North Carolina into Damascus. I heard the Highland area was a scenic area to hike, but wasn't sure where. I was thinking of tempoarily skipping the section just above
Demascus but wasn't sure if the AT trails near Massie Gap and Grayson State Park were scenic or if I needed to plan for some side excursion. I love accomplishing another section of the AT but I'd hate to miss a beautiful hike for the sake of accomplishing a goal.