PDA

View Full Version : Water availability in NJ?

NJScoutLeader
07-17-2017, 16:13
I'm taking my young (12) nephew on his first backpacking trip in 2 weeks - from the Delaware Water Gap to the Brinks Road shelter.

Does anyone know of a site listing water availability along the trail? We're trying to go light since it's his first trip so not sure how much we should start with / how much we'll find on the trail.

Thanks for any info!

Slo-go'en
07-17-2017, 17:27
That's kind of a long hike, 23 miles. Or do you plan to stay at the Mohican center (MOC) one night?

There is no real time reporting of water conditions along the trail. The first good water source you'll find coming up from the Gap is at the MOC.

While you pass a pond and maybe a stream before that, those are not sources you really want to drink from unless really desperate. And that's pretty much also the case from the MOC to Brink Rd Shelter.

So, if it's still hot and humid in Jersey come the first of August, carry a lot of water.

NJScoutLeader
07-17-2017, 17:39
That's kind of a long hike, 23 miles. Or do you plan to stay at the Mohican center (MOC) one night?
There is no real time reporting of water conditions along the trail. The first good water source you'll find coming up from the Gap is at the MOC.
While you pass a pond and maybe a stream before that, those are not sources you really want to drink from unless really desperate. And that's pretty much also the case from the MOC to Brink Rd Shelter.
So, if it's still hot and humid in Jersey come the first of August, carry a lot of water.

Thanks - It's always hot and humid late July in Jersey :) . I guess we'll load up on water - I'll try to keep my nephew to no more than 3 liters and maybe the 2 adults can carry 4-5 to start. I hate running out or pulling from mud puddles.

I used the 2 AT locations as reference points - we're actually coming in / going out on side trails. Probably entering via Douglas or Rock Cores trail and exiting at Buttermilk Falls, so I think the distance should be about right for small legs - i just want to avoid putting too much weight on his back.

NJdreamer
07-17-2017, 20:58
Carry 4 or 5 liters? The adults in your group must be very strong. If it were me, I would be drinking so much more water as a result of carrying so much water. Good luck. When I am not sure about water sources, I also put water in the car at the end point - in case, you run out, so you can at least drink at the car.

NJdreamer
07-17-2017, 21:01

I will be hiking there in the next few months. What is wrong with the water sources you mention? My old data book indicates two locations - blue mountain lakes road, and rattlesnake spring. (Lately I have been using this site for input about the trail, and Guthook, so no, I will not rely on my old data book.) Thanks for the input.

NJScoutLeader
07-17-2017, 22:23
Carry 4 or 5 liters? The adults in your group must be very strong. If it were me, I would be drinking so much more water as a result of carrying so much water. Good luck. When I am not sure about water sources, I also put water in the car at the end point - in case, you run out, so you can at least drink at the car.
On a hot July day in Jersey, I"ll drink close to 3 liters. I won't overload my young nephew so I'll carry some extra for him. We'll also need water to cook. We'll have water at the end point (Buttermilk Falls) so no worries there.

Slo-go'en
07-17-2017, 22:44
I will be hiking there in the next few months. What is wrong with the water sources you mention? My old data book indicates two locations - blue mountain lakes road, and rattlesnake spring. (Lately I have been using this site for input about the trail, and Guthook, so no, I will not rely on my old data book.) Thanks for the input.

Springs often go dry along that ridge so once past the early summer they can be iffy. The pump at Blue Mt lakes road may or may not be working. You don't want to rely on iffy sources. The shelter locations (usually) have the only reliable source of water.

Slo-go'en
07-17-2017, 22:47
I used the 2 AT locations as reference points - we're actually coming in / going out on side trails. Probably entering via Douglas or Rock Cores trail and exiting at Buttermilk Falls, so I think the distance should be about right for small legs - i just want to avoid putting too much weight on his back.

In that case, you just need enough to climb up to the shelter. You actually have a better chance of finding water along the trails coming up the side of a ridge then along the top of it.

sqidmark
07-18-2017, 22:17
There is a spring on Holy Springs trail, but it's not so far from the DWG parking lot, you probably wouldn't even use any by that point.

Mohican has a spigot directly across the rd from the main office.

Rattlesnake spring is on the firetower rd just as you exit the steep rocky downhill before Millbrook rd. Make a hard left up the dirt rd. It's on the left side of the rd. I've never had to get water there, but lots of folks do. The AT criscrosses the dirt rd a few times, but it'll be obvious when you get to the bottom.

The water pump at blue mtn lake rd is no longer maintained, but there is water. Once you hit the rd, turn right and follow it about 200yds, there are a couple of crude signs pointing the way. To the right side of the road, there is a small creek with a plastic pipe running down it. I've always just assumed there is a spring above. I've used it many times (filtered of course) and haven't died yet.

In early June we were heading south from Culver fire tower. We camped over above Crater Lake and had stashed a gallon of water earlier near the beach area. There really isn't any water between blue mtn rd and Brinks. Brinks does have a nice spring though, but you're not going that far.