PDA

View Full Version : How underminding the word "Just" can be....

Gambit McCrae
07-18-2017, 08:05
The more I am out there on the trail, the more I hear it. I am guilty of it but have started breaking the habit. Let me set the scene...

Walking up the trail and pass Mr. or Ms. thru hiker...

Me:"Going to Maine?"
Thru Hiker: "Well I'm trying what about you?"
Me: "Oh I'm just a section hiker, only out for the weekend knocking out some more miles"

... A few minutes later...Arrives Mr. thru hikers friend..

New Thru hiker talking to me: "Hey you a thru hiker??"
Mr. Thru Hiker: "No he's just a section a hiker"

Its not something that aggravates me a great deal but I am tired of hearing it. My trip/ journey is no less important than a thru hikers they are equal, same as any one else out using the trail. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this trend on either side of the coin because I hear it from just as many section hikers explaining their own trip as I do thru hikers talking about day hikers and section hikers.

I feel like a lot of people would give me a weird look around the picanic table if I said - "Oh he's just a thru hiker" :) lol

Pringles
07-18-2017, 08:29
Thank you for saying this. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough.

garlic08
07-18-2017, 08:59
I think you mean "undermining?"

On my trail construction crew, we joke about that word a lot. When the boss starts using it, you know it's going to be a hard day. "Just move these rocks...."

For what it's worth, I thought a thru-hike of the AT was easier than piecing together the logistics of a section hike. Of course, you need to build the kind of life that allows you to take multiple months off, and that can be a different kind of difficulty.

Traffic Jam
07-18-2017, 09:53
My response to questions like that are phrased in a way that don't demean my own journey or give unnecessary information (for safety reasons). I would have replied, "Not today, how about you?" Occasionally I'll say it in a way that makes fun of myself or them.

Section hikers need to respect themselves. It's much more difficult to be a section hiker than a thru hiker.
And thru hikers need to realize that those who are "just" section hikers often have much more hiking experience than they do.

AllDownhillFromHere
07-18-2017, 10:23
Section hikes are harder than thrus.

Also, from years in the IT/Project Management field - the word "just" is ALWAYS a trap. "Well, Mr Programmer, can't you _just_ make it look like THIS?" or "It's JUST a little change..."

BuckeyeBill
07-18-2017, 10:31
I always felt that we are all section hikers until we have hike the entire trail.

Gambit McCrae
07-18-2017, 10:34
I always felt that we are all section hikers until we have hike the entire trail.

I have respect for people when they say "Well I am attempting a thru hike, but am section hiking until I finish" or something along those lines...

saltysack
07-18-2017, 11:07
Try something similar to what the Country boy did here...11:40....https://youtu.be/r94G_i32x2U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evyck da fleet
07-18-2017, 11:13
While I'm sure some thrus say it in a demeaning way, I've always taken it as them looking for other thrus to share their journey with and sections hikers will just be around for a brief period.

I have no problem telling thrus I'm just out for the night. Then again they are mostly dreamers when I run into them. Would you feel better telling them you were a section hiker if you had already thru'd? If so, Why should that matter?

Just Bill
07-18-2017, 11:27
"Just" is a wonderful word in my not so humble opinion.

Works just as well for yer ol pal Bill as it does for any of us... as in "I'm just a hiker"
Also applies in the reverse as in 'Yer just a hiker'

If'n you happen to meet an uppity snot I suggest you just treat them appropriately.

Me: Hey good to see you out here.
Snot: Are you thru-hiking?
Me: No, I plan to hike for awhile still.
Snot: I mean are you going to hike the whole trail.
Me: Yar, I plan on thru-hiking the PCT.
Snot: But this is the Appalachian Trail
Me: Are you quite sure?
Snot: Yes, I have an app.
Me: Well it's going to be a particularly long walk then I suppose. Do I need an app for that or should I just keep walking?

You can also go with LASH as some like to say, explain your naughty bedroom habits and how reading that one book 'fifty shades of grey' really motivated you to take up hiking.

There's also a good reason many call it 'just' walking.

And if anyone deserves a pedestal; it's the hiker who just dedicates year after year of one week's precious vacation time over a decade or two to quietly chip away at completing a trail. The first week of any trip is the hardest. Doing the hardest week 20-25 times once a year is a certain kind of dedication that's just a bit more noteworthy IMO.

Just getting the opportunity to thru-hike is special, as is completing one... plain and simple it's just special.

Often the best plan is just to take a deep breath and just realize that some folks just haven't quite walked enough trail to understand what Just means.

yaduck9
07-18-2017, 11:33
The more I am out there on the trail, the more I hear it. I am guilty of it but have started breaking the habit. Let me set the scene...

Walking up the trail and pass Mr. or Ms. thru hiker...

Me:"Going to Maine?"
Thru Hiker: "Well I'm trying what about you?"
Me: "Oh I'm just a section hiker, only out for the weekend knocking out some more miles"

... A few minutes later...Arrives Mr. thru hikers friend..

New Thru hiker talking to me: "Hey you a thru hiker??"
Mr. Thru Hiker: "No he's just a section a hiker"

Its not something that aggravates me a great deal but I am tired of hearing it. My trip/ journey is no less important than a thru hikers they are equal, same as any one else out using the trail. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this trend on either side of the coin because I hear it from just as many section hikers explaining their own trip as I do thru hikers talking about day hikers and section hikers.

I feel like a lot of people would give me a weird look around the picanic table if I said - "Oh he's just a thru hiker" :) lol

that is very ZEN

http://detoxifynow.com/zen-and-sufi-parables/

tiptoe
07-18-2017, 12:04
When I began section hiking, I felt "unworthy" and referred to myself as "just a section hiker," but after a few hikes, I realized that I had no desire to do a thru. At that point, I called myself a section hiker and continue to do so, proudly. Folks, it isn't a competition; just enjoy yourself out there whatever your plans.

Dogwood
07-18-2017, 12:04
That word just is limiting and in context of a thruhiker saying "youre just a section hiker that certainly can be done in a demeaning attiitude with a big egotistical the hiker chip on their shoulder. I had to check my ego from having that attitude. It came about when I became less ignorant by appreciating the different, in some very real ways harder, aspects section hikers experience. I think it ridiculous so many give greater hiking meaning to named trails or routes anyway as only after a route is named or popular it's worthy of being hiked or recognition.

For those on AT thrus with that thru hiker chip on their shoulder when I want to offer them some humble pie I'll ask "are you JUST hiking the AT between Springer and Katahdin?" If they continue in a condescending haughy thru hikers is only what it's all about attitude I'll than say "ohh that's JUST the shortened EASY version." Really though ive found dont hike with your own or paying undue attention to others over inflated condescending ego is the best attitude. Last thing I want is to have my goallls of peace, patience, love, generosity, faith, onsideration, hope, quest for wisdom, etc side tracked by undue excessive ignorance, anger, fear, bitterness, pride...

Really what is a thru hike? Can't it be defined as completing a hike between ANY two pre chosen pts.

Puddlefish
07-18-2017, 12:05
If you look for a reason to feel minimized, you'll find one. It's up to you how happy you are on the trail. I was walking through Hot Springs after experiencing a terrible night's sleep, and I was whining to another hiker about it. The guy remained entirely positive and flat out refused to commiserate with me. It was awesome, he was awesome!

You're out on the trail for your own reasons. There's very little that's special or noteworthy about hikers as a group. There's a whole lot that's amazing about hikers individually. I can't recall a single hiker putting down another hiker because of the relative distance they planned to travel. Not a single one.

Lone Wolf
07-18-2017, 13:34
it's just walkin'

Traffic Jam
07-18-2017, 14:03
In the thru-hikers' defense, he used the same description the section hiker used. I've done that before when describing someone...with an implied <he said>. Maybe the thru meant, <he said> "he's just a section hiker."

On my (limited) hikes on the PCT, the first thing I noticed is that no one asked me my business. The standard greeting was, "Are you having a good hike?", or "How's your hike?". Maybe it was a coincidence but I really liked that.

Slo-go'en
07-18-2017, 14:05
Them: Are you thru hiking?
Me: Nope, and I hope I'm not threw hiking for a long time come.

10-K
07-18-2017, 15:02
Maybe not take things so personal?

When I say I'm "just hiking a section" that's what I mean. I don't mean to imply that I'm "a lowly section hiker".

If someone else suggests I'm "just a section hiker" and I'm just hiking a section - where is the error in that?

"Just" ≠ "Less than"

Alligator
07-18-2017, 15:07
I've used it as Gambit has to refer to myself when asked variations of these questions "Are you thruhiking?", "Are you a thruhiker", or "Heading to Maine?". Then I sometimes say, "Nope, just a section-hiker". In the past I did to some degree consider section-hiking to be a lesser state for me. This is because I always wanted to thruhike and didn't get to. But over time I have come to realize they are two different experiences with different pros and cons and I am very much at peace with being a section-hiker. I can't recall the just every being reflected back at me negatively. I do recall one time saying I was "just a section hiker" in response to a thruhiker inquiring about my hike and the thruhiker said something along the lines of "we are all just hikers". Nowadays I may still say it but it is only meant to indicate a neutral contrast. I generally use the word just for factual information, I am just stating the facts.

Miner
07-18-2017, 15:18
I'm with 10k on this. It doesn't both me at all and I've said it numerous times about myself. Then again, I've been both a thru and section hiker. Maybe its me that is looking down on the potential thru-hiker since since they haven't actually thru-hiked yet and I have. I do seem to be smile knowingly a bit too much around them. :p

Actually what I've noticed more often in recent years on the PCT (though it just might be the increase in numbers so I see it more often) is some people trying to thru-hike just aren't much interested in any one else who isn't. They have a very strong sense of being part of a community (PCT wannabe Thru-hiker) and you aren't one of us since they clearly have more experience having JUST hiked continuously for several weeks or months and are one of the chosen ones. I just smile and ignore them as they aren't going to ruin my day; never mind that I could have told them that the next water source has dried up due to the drought (not likely a problem people will see this year I suspect). But the overwhelming majority of thrus are very happy to talk to anyone new as they are tired of the same stories from their group and are grateful for a few words of info from personal experience about the trail ahead of them. I do find that SOBOs tend to be more chatty then NOBOs though; I suspect from the higher number of days of isolation.

rocketsocks
07-18-2017, 17:21
I'm a just hiker

Dogwood
07-18-2017, 17:27
When a thru-hiker/LD hiker is condescending to a section hiker/about section hiking I find: 1) it is a new thru-hiker putting thrus on a pedestal, a thru hike attempter that actually perceives thru-hiking as something greater than section hiking, well experienced LD hikers have a tendency to be able to look over the little things, to go with an easier flow concerning trail personalities, there aren't many experienced grumpy currently actively hiking LD hikers I know 2) one not familiar with and appreciative of BOTH the rigors of section hiking over the years, as Garlic and JB stated, and LD hiking/thru-hiking, not recognizing the pros and cons of both - the valid differences and difficulties - as Gator stated 3) a LD hiker with their head up their arse enjoying the aroma

As others said, if I was overly concerned about other's ignorance or others were overly concerned by mine many more people would be side tracked from enjoying their hikes and perhaps not spreading more empowering vibes.

Dogwood
07-18-2017, 17:46
...Actually what I've noticed more often in recent years on the PCT (though it just might be the increase in numbers so I see it more often) is some people trying to thru-hike just aren't much interested in any one else who isn't. They have a very strong sense of being part of a community (PCT wannabe Thru-hiker) and you aren't one of us...
That could be left right there as wanting to be be part of a group regarding anything this can be the case...for example, being a U.S citizen labeling only a U.S citizen as an American assuming that label could only be accurately applied to those from the U.S. ignoring Canadians, Native Americans, Central and South Americans are Americans too.

lonehiker
07-18-2017, 18:11
I am just a LD section hiker that has thru-hiked many, albeit shorter, trails. I generally get respect by the vaunted thru-hikers in my bubble as often they just can't shake me. For the record I do introduce myself as just a section hiker and am not ashamed to do so.

Dogwood
07-18-2017, 18:48
I am just a LD section hiker that has thru-hiked many, albeit shorter, trails. I generally get respect by the vaunted thru-hikers in my bubble as often they just can't shake me. For the record I do introduce myself as just a section hiker and am not ashamed to do so.

LOL. I once heard an exasperated Long Trail Trail Thru-Hiker near Bennington(southern VT) say to a snotty egotistical condescending boastful first time AT Thru Hike ATTEMPTER going on and on about how hard the AT was and how great it was to be a thru-hiker, saying things like "you don't know what it's like until you do it" "Yeah I'm JUST :p a LD section hiker on the AT doing 273 miles on the Long Trail; I see you're JUST a Long Trail Section Hiker." Took a few minutes to compute in the the AT Thru-Hikers mind that he was being scolded.

Old Hiker
07-18-2017, 19:24
So, basically you are getting bent out of shape for someone (who you have no clue what they have done or are doing) REPEATING what you yourself JUST said? According to the first post.

What am I missing?

Traffic Jam
07-18-2017, 19:58
I'm a just hiker

Me too.

Someone asked my plans on my last hike and I responded, "I'm just out tramping". I sure hope that doesn't make me a tramp. :D

Dogwood
07-18-2017, 20:05
What does "they just can't shake me" mean? Are you referring to competing with thru hikers on trail??? pace, MPD, trail routines, etc??? If so that hints at you being a little bit competitive and egotistical yourself that explains much about you being offended when something might have been said to you like "are you just section hiking" when no offense or condescension or a thru-hiker's ego stroking was intended. :rolleyes:

rocketsocks
07-18-2017, 20:24
Me too.

Someone asked my plans on my last hike and I responded, "I'm just out tramping". I sure hope that doesn't make me a tramp. :D:Dnow that's funny...
Don't make ya a bad person

Hikingjim
07-18-2017, 23:27
"just chill bra" is what the teens around here say

I have never found thru hikers or whoever spoke negatively on/about section hikes I've done. Usually their response was just "cool", comments on the section, etc.

lonehiker
07-19-2017, 01:37
What does "they just can't shake me" mean? Are you referring to competing with thru hikers on trail??? pace, MPD, trail routines, etc??? If so that hints at you being a little bit competitive and egotistical yourself that explains much about you being offended when something might have been said to you like "are you just section hiking" when no offense or condescension or a thru-hiker's ego stroking was intended. :rolleyes:

You obviously lack reading comprehension as I've never indicated that I am offended when referred to as just a section hiker. As mentioned, that is how I introduce myself when section hiking a long trail. But, generally I am able to do reasonable mileage out of the gate. This usually means that I leapfrog with some groups and many of them are a bit surprised that they see me as often as they do. They comment on it, I don't. It actually does stroke my ego a bit but that and a buck might buy me a cup of coffee.

I would make this observation about aspiring thru-hikers; many are a bit standoffish when it comes to section hikers. I suspect it is because they don't think that they (section hikers) can relate to them well and generally people gravitate towards similar minded people. This isn't to say that they are condescending. Perhaps some are but I am sure they are a very small minority. What I was attempting to say in earlier post was that I am able to bridge that gap as people become aware of my hiking ability (for lack of a better term).

MuddyWaters
07-19-2017, 07:10
Why would anyone say "just"?
Thats your own judgemental distinction, from your mind
Calling Mr. Freud...

Dont elevate thru hikers. Largely just people bent on having fun, with nothing important happening in lives....

egilbe
07-19-2017, 07:19
Why would anyone say "just"?
Thats your own judgemental distinction, from your mind
Calling Mr. Freud...

Dont elevate thru hikers. Largely just people bent on having fun, with nothing important happening in lives....
Except, almost without exception, they are no longer having fun by the time I meet the nobos. I prefer the company of sobos who still gaze at the woods and lakes with awe and wonder, who are amazed they are on a grand adventure, who take the time to socialize. Nobos jst want to finish so they can end the misery.

evyck da fleet
07-19-2017, 08:34
Except, almost without exception, they are no longer having fun by the time I meet the nobos. I prefer the company of sobos who still gaze at the woods and lakes with awe and wonder, who are amazed they are on a grand adventure, who take the time to socialize. Nobos jst want to finish so they can end the misery.
That was me. But it wasn't misery. The wide eyed adventurer who began at Amicalola was gone and I was just a hiker nearing completion of a trail. Did I have an epic celebration or cry at Katahdin? No, there was just a quiet confident smile. Was it as fun as the first half of the trail? No. Did I want to quit and go home? No. Was I ready to go home? Yes. Did I appreciate the efforts of section hikers and those finishing where they left off the prior year who were nearing their goal. Yes. Could I have appeared dismissive to section hikers and those claiming to be thrus before Damascus? Possibly.

gsingjane
07-19-2017, 08:49
I "just" had this conversation on my last trip! The other section hiker I met and I decided that we would (at least personally) outlaw use of the word "just" to describe what we were doing.

I think what I find difficult is the patronizing attitude manifested in such comments as "well, it's better than nothing" (about section hiking). I do understand that most thru's are on a mission, and certainly if that was my everyday reality maybe I would feel differently about it when I met someone who was on a relatively short break from real life and soon to return to a soft bed, good food, regular showers etc. As one of the posters above said, most of the thru-hikers I meet in my neck of the woods have been at it for a good long time already. Maybe the status of being a thru-hiker (such as it is) is one of the things that "gets you thru"!

Jane

TexasBob
07-19-2017, 10:14
This discussion reminds me of when I was a kid working as a busboy in a restaurant and a lady asked me to take her order and I said "I not a waiter, I am just a busboy". She gave me a 5 minute lecture on how every person is important and special and I shouldn't minimize myself by saying I was "just" a busboy. I listened politely and then got her a waiter because I was still just a busboy. My young life wasn't shattered and my sense of self-worth wasn't scarred because I referred to myself as "just". I can see how it might be annoying to be called "just a section hiker" but is it really something to get upset about?

Gambit McCrae
07-19-2017, 10:33
I see some people get this thread and others have taken it the wrong way. As I mentioned in my original post, I am not butt hurt or emotional scarred from the word "Just". I bring it up as a conversation piece which due to the amount of responses is a noteworthy, and non redundant subject. Think of the topic as this. Is the word just, in the context of separating people into different groups A) Needed to describe peoples intent or is it an additional non needed word. and B) Is it a more positive, or negative word. Benton Mackaye had dreams of using the trail to bring people together. And I think we can all agree that "Back then, it did". But in todays times of a much more separate world of every day reality to the trail life there becomes more separation in people on the trail. And I see that people perceive their shorter trip as inferior to a thru hike and in return many use the word just to downplay their time spent on the trail.

I think it is interesting to hear peoples input that have experience hiking the AT as well as other long trails and how it seems that the AT is a stand alone in the way people talk, what they ask, and the emphasis people put on their personal label of what kind of hike they are pursuing. Why is that? Why is it enough on other trails that people are all hiking, yet on the AT peoples opening salutations are based around thru hiker, section hiker, day hiker etc.

Maineiac64
07-19-2017, 10:43
The one thing we own outright is our insecurities and self doubts.

rocketsocks
07-19-2017, 11:22
Just friends...little rascals

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zM39UgXjP4

Emerson Bigills
07-19-2017, 11:42
I think generalizing about section hikers or thru hikers is inaccurate. Both groups run the gambit from PHD's and Wall Street Bankers, to lost souls who are living on the trail and the goodwill of those on and adjacent to it.

On my recent hike I identified more with thru hikers, but I had meaningful and enjoyable relationships with section hikers as well. Two of the most knowledgeable and efficient hikers I met, were a couple (man and wife) of LASHERS from MI. I spent almost 3 weeks on the trail with them and learned plenty. While section hiking requires timing and planning, and more often than not does not provide enough time for the hiker to "get their legs", I would refute that it is more difficult. The long and arduous journey of a thru hike exposes the hiker to many more risks and opportunities for injury. A thru hike requires equipment adjustments as the seasons change and the emotional aspects of a thru hike, far outweigh what one faces on a section hike. The duration makes a difference..... a big difference. 80% of the people who go out on a section hike do not go home before they reach their goal.

Having said that, thru hikers are not higher on the food chain than section hikers and often times, the only difference is the opportunity to get the extended period of time away from work and family commitments. Some people do not have that luxury. Both co-exist on the trail, facing some similar challenges, but each group also has some differences in what they deal with while in the backwoods.

yaduck9
07-19-2017, 12:26
that is very ZEN

http://detoxifynow.com/zen-and-sufi-parables/

The Gift of Insults There once lived a great warrior. Though quite old, he still was able to defeat any challenger. His reputation extended far and wide throughout the land and many students gathered to study under him.
One day an infamous young warrior arrived at the village. He was determined to be the first man to defeat the great master. Along with his strength, he had an uncanny ability to spot and exploit any weakness in an opponent. He would wait for his opponent to make the first move, thus revealing a weakness, and then would strike with merciless force and lightning speed. No one had ever lasted with him in a match beyond the first move.
Much against the advice of his concerned students, the old master gladly accepted the young warrior’s challenge. As the two squared off for battle, the young warrior began to hurl insults at the old master. He threw dirt and spit in his face. For hours he verbally assaulted him with every curse and insult known to mankind. But the old warrior merely stood there motionless and calm. Finally, the young warrior exhausted himself. Knowing he was defeated, he left feeling shamed.
Somewhat disappointed that he did not fight the insolent youth, the students gathered around the old master and questioned him. “How could you endure such an indignity? How did you drive him away?”
“If someone comes to give you a gift and you do not receive it,” the master replied, “to whom does the gift belong?”

:rolleyes:

Dogwood
07-19-2017, 23:46
...I would make this observation about aspiring thru-hikers; many are a bit standoffish when it comes to section hikers. I suspect it is because they don't think that they (section hikers) can relate to them well and generally people gravitate towards similar minded people. This isn't to say that they are condescending. Perhaps some are but I am sure they are a very small minority. What I was attempting to say in earlier post was that I am able to bridge that gap as people become aware of my hiking ability (for lack of a better term).

I don't think it's abilities that are that incompatible between section hikers and thrus making this the primary cause of any perceived condescending. But, I agree you may gain some respect that way from a few.

Much of what the world, and surely the U.S.' culture, rewards and promotes is the notion that more is always better. Society buys into this, actually gaining their self worth and self esteem by it. Sometimes it results in a haughtiness(overly prideful hubris) as you might have experienced. More speed, more money, more material possessions, more looks, more fitness, more experiences...more miles hiked, more bag nights, etc are looked at is having greater value. What I'm saying is what you experienced is nothing new. NOR did it begin and end and arose solely out of some thru-hikers mind or within some in the thru-hiking community. MANY, if not more, non thru hikers put thru-hiking and thru hikers on a pedestal than highly experienced regular(non first time) thru hikers.

Another thing that goes into putting thru-hikers on a pedestal, and again this is not just coming from people in the thru-hiking community, is the societal and cultural idea placing higher value on someone(or a group) who does it all, is actively currently engaged in finishing or completing something.

Dogwood
07-19-2017, 23:50
...Maybe the status of being a thru-hiker (such as it is) is one of the things that "gets you thru"!
Jane
It has for me.

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 00:02
@Lonehiker

This categorizing of what kind of hiker one is doesn't just happen on the AT. It happens on the other TC trails too...This categorization goes further than two categories though...thru hiker or section hiker. And being slightly shunned isn't just about being a section hiker in a group of thru-hikers. A good example of this was last yr on the PCT at Crater Lake NP where I was a PCT section hiker but making known to this year's PCT NOBOs and SOBOs that I had two previous PCT thru-hikes. They accepted me asking some questions but I wasn't part OF THAT YEAR'S PCT CLASS. I was still a bit of an outsider.

Let's get one thing straight after reading all the section hiker stereotyping. Section hiking for the vast majority of section hikers is a hike...period. We start applying adjectives. Most section hikers are out for - A HIKE - not definitively out to finish all of a trail! This plays into perceptions...all around!

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 00:09
Perhaps, why all the talk about categorizing thru and section hikers on the AT 1) as said earlier more first time thrus on the AT compared to either the PCT or CDT, joined a new club with another label/adjective - the thru hiker club - goes to some folks head!, again, I don't see this lofty attitude among many of my LD hiker friends
2) the AT is prolly the most recognized and talked about LD trail in the world, with all the talk the topic of thru-hiking will come up
3) culture and society in general placing vaunted status on the character of what a completed thru-hike entails

MuddyWaters
07-20-2017, 00:36
Perhaps, why all the talk about categorizing thru and section hikers on the AT 1) as said earlier more first time thrus on the AT compared to either the PCT or CDT, joined a new club with another label/adjective - the thru hiker club - goes to some folks head!, again, I don't see this lofty attitude among many of my LD hiker friends
2) the AT is prolly the most recognized and talked about LD trail in the world, with all the talk the topic of thru-hiking will come up
3) culture and society in general placing vaunted status on the character of what a completed thru-hike entails
Yep

And people differentiate the same way for short trails too
Even under 200-300 miles
To make themselves feel superior to others that are just section hikers.

And join a "elite club" of "thru hikers" in their mind

Which is absolutely asinine

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2017, 10:55
Actually thru hikers are unquestionably given preferential treatment, as they should be. Local, state and federal law encodes this favoritism, depending on the location, but most notably they can camp where others can not. Also it is in society in general, the trail magic is for the thru hikers, others may glom some, but if there were no thru hikers there would be no such trail magic, it's because and for the thru hikers. So the argument that trail magic should be for any hiker and not exclusive for thrus just doesn't hold any weight, as without thrus there is no trail magic in it's common form along the AT. And they deserve it, They are doing something wonderful, something few people dare to do, but so needed in society - to leave it for a long time to pursue their dreams.

Weekenders are more of the vacationing problem, thru hikers are experiencing live, not escaping it.

As for the shelters, the thrus will get the nod and people who violate this will be looked down upon if they take it with a self righteous attitude. It's unofficial, but karmically correct, a show of respect.

This is from another thread but I think it fits well as primary evidence in this thread lol I ccd the whole post, but not all may pertain for the intent I posted it

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 11:32
It is larely an opinion based website. Lol and we know what is said about opinions.

Bronk
07-20-2017, 11:52
Its not that thruhikers are better than section hikers, its just that section hikers aren't as good as thruhikers. Its a subtle difference, but anyone who has been out there knows that thruhikers are more spiritually evolved, and as a result the section hikers stand out.

rickb
07-20-2017, 12:20
Its not that thruhikers are better than section hikers, its just that section hikers aren't as good as thruhikers. Its a subtle difference, but anyone who has been out there knows that thruhikers are more spiritually evolved, and as a result the section hikers stand out.

This is very true, but the evolutionary track is somewhat complicated.

I won't go into all the scientific details (they would beyond the comprehension of most on this list) but WRT spiritual evolution, a thru hike is like a seed.

Like a couple generations of Cicada, this seed lies dormant for 34 years.

Then and only then, is the evolution complete -- with the seed not only bearing fruit of an evolved spiritual state, but also a great wisdom which others should recognize and cherish.

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 12:27
Yeah section hikers caN be a lowly bunch. There're the ones responsible for all the garbage left behind, trail erosion, attracting bears and rats to shelters with their poor food handling and storage, all the darn rain, and taking my duly deserved Gatorade - the last one - from a trail magic cooler that is clearly marked for thru hikers.

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 12:33

I won't go into all the scientific details (they would beyond the comprehension of most on this list) but WRT spiritual evolution, a thru hike is like a seed.

Then and only then, is the evolution complete -- with the seed not only bearing fruit of an evolved spiritual state, but also a great wisdom which others should recognize and cherish.

Eureka. One has to know their limitations. When section hikers finally accept their lower ranking in the hiking pecking order, as it seems you have, the trail will be a better place.

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 12:34
This is ridiculous.

Lone Wolf
07-20-2017, 13:17
Yeah section hikers caN be a lowly bunch. There're the ones responsible for all the garbage left behind, trail erosion, attracting bears and rats to shelters with their poor food handling and storage, all the darn rain, and taking my duly deserved Gatorade - the last one - from a trail magic cooler that is clearly marked for thru hikers.

This is ridiculous.

yup. your take is ridiculous

rafe
07-20-2017, 14:07
Weekend warrior, thru hiker wannabe, section hiker. I've been in all these roles. Happy to say that this sort of discussion just doesn't come up much on the trail, in my experience at least. Thru hikers, heck, most hikers, are just plain good people.

I'm mostly past the need to compare my hiking CV with others I meet on the trail. The thru hikers I meet are in their moment, and I respect that. Mine is a long term commitment, theirs is an intensity, at least for one season.

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 15:11
yup. your take is ridiculous
Of course it's ridiculous. It was meant to be. It was meant tongue in cheek. Those ridiculous labels attached to section hikers are just as ridiculous sounding as different generalized labels applied to thru hikers or other hikers. Should we now debate the stereotyping of FKTers, ULers, those hauling 100 lb packs, those after a fast hike, SOBOs vs NOBOs, weekend warriors, foreign hikers, low income hikers, the Boy Scouts, those that avoid shelters like the plague, those that embrace them as a necessity, ....?

That's what is ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
07-20-2017, 15:32
Should we now debate the stereotyping of FKTers, ULers, those hauling 100 lb packs, those after a fast hike, SOBOs vs NOBOs, weekend warriors, foreign hikers, low income hikers, the Boy Scouts, those that avoid shelters like the plague, those that embrace them as a necessity, ....?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Isnt that the primary point of this site?

But you left out dogs and guns...

Dogwood
07-20-2017, 23:59
Isnt that the primary point of this site?

But you left out dogs and guns...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....Not another gun or dog thread. :datz

Dogwood
07-21-2017, 00:40
Why isn't it generally said section hikers are out on vacation or going through a "transitional phase" as can so easily be the situation or regularly said they too are out just walking? What is a section hiker anyway? Isn't a section hiker most often simply one doing a hike - a hiker? Is section hiker not another hyped up word that might imply greater or a different significance than simply "hiker?" So it seems saying "I'm a hiker" JUST isn't good enough for many section hikers.

And revisiting what Old Hiker said earlier "so, basically you are getting bent out of shape for someone (who you have no clue what they have done or are doing) REPEATING what you yourself JUST said? According to the first post?" Think about what happens on the AT according to thru-hiker stats. 6-8 out of every 10 thru-hikers - those professing to be thru hikers - don't make it! That very well could mean 60-80% of condescending professing chip on their shoulders AT thru-hikers acting like narcissistic A holes to section hikers are themselves section hikers. That doesn't include those professing to be thru-hikers when in fact they know they are not seeking an end an end hike yet want that thru-hiker status recognition or those that intentionally short cut the AT by skipping parts not "making an honest effort to walk the whole trail" yet claiming it.

These are whom you feel slighted by as a hiker whether you call yourself a section hiker, thru hiker, FKTer, "just" a one eyed Pirate with a pink eye patch on a pogo stick hiker, or any other type of hiker? :confused:

LittleRock
07-21-2017, 07:29
I JUST wasted 15 min. of my life by reading this thread...

Traveler
07-21-2017, 08:07
Interesting thread.

Categorizing things like the type of hike one is on really has no bearing or function on anyone but those who need to pigeonhole others, usually to feel better about themselves.

Day hikers, weekenders, section hikers, or thru hikers are all pretty much doing the same thing in the time they have to do it. If one has 6 months off and no other obligations I cannot think of a better way to use that time than to walk from GA to ME. To the dad who has a day to take young children to see a view they have to work for on a trail, I cannot think of a better way to use that day. Using earned vacation days to repeatedly return to the trail in order to complete it over a lifetime, I cannot think of a better use of time engaged in determined accomplishment.

Claiming one type or another is befouling the landscape with their presence or is not in a "transitionary" experience mode couples well to the notion none of us have the competency to grasp scientific facts unless fed to us in small, single syllable words.

Elitism by any other name would still look the same.

As Wolf is fond of saying, "its just walking".

A.A. Milne had some perspective: "While Eeyore frets ...... and Piglet hesitates... and Rabbit calculates... and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is."

TexasBob
07-21-2017, 08:23

Thru hikers do undergo an evolution - their feet get bigger, they are always hungry and they don't seem to have any meaningful employment - sounds like they change into Hobbits.

dudeijuststarted
07-21-2017, 09:52
As a thru hiker, I spend more time demonizing the thru hike and more time praising section hiking when opportunities such as this arise. I can't help wanting to digest long trails all at once, but that is simply gluttony. The section hiker walks the middle, and wiser path.

BuckeyeBill
07-21-2017, 11:19
Thru-hiker, section hiker, weekend hiker and over night hiker have one thing in common. They are all hikers. Doesn't matter how long or how far. If you section hike the entire trail, you still get a patch. I've done the PCT twice and the CDT once. I have sectioned hike much of the AT and have set my mind to a thru hike in the future. So because I haven't done a thru hike on the AT, should I be looked down on? I thought I have pretty good credentials. Another Kevin states in all his advice about being "Just a section hiker" but I would trust any advice he has to offer. There are several others whose advice I would trust as well.

To Texas Bob, I trust your advise as well as some others on here, but to say thru hikers don't seem to have meaningful employment was stretching things. I have met quite a few thru hikers that got sabbaticals and leave of absences from their jobs to hike the trail. I personally own my own business and have a great group of people working with me that I trust well enough to leave for either a thru or section hike. Granted not many people can do this but there is some that can. I only say this, as your statement sounded all inclusive of thru hikers.

rickb
07-21-2017, 11:42
Edit -- Posted to wrong thread

yaduck9
07-21-2017, 11:56
Thru hikers do undergo an evolution - their feet get bigger, they are always hungry and they don't seem to have any meaningful employment - sounds like they change into Hobbits.

I have worked for some of the largest corporations on the planet along with a company that was one of the fastest growing in the state.

I can say that, while the employment was well compensated, in monetary terms...........I would never say that the experience was meaningful :-?

Dogwood
07-21-2017, 12:06
You are aware post #51 and #52 were made tongue in cheek? I said so in post #53 and again in post #56 they were ridiculous assertions and we were going down a ridiculous path of debate(kinda what you said , no?) in a misguided attempt to categorize and generalize individuals and groups. Unfortunately, JUST AS so many ridiculous assertions are levied against thru hikers, or for that matter ULers, FKTers, etc, so are also made in attempting to label section hikers.

Indeed sterotyping, some might profiling or a type of reverse discrimination, can happen against thru hikers from others such as section hikers that feel slighted.

A lot to digest then saying this but I liked your Pooh quote.

[QUOTE=Traveler;2160729]Interesting thread.

Categorizing things like the type of hike one is on really has no bearing or function on anyone but those who need to pigeonhole others, usually to feel better about themselves.

Day hikers, weekenders, section hikers, or thru hikers are all pretty much doing the same thing in the time they have to do it. If one has 6 months off and no other obligations I cannot think of a better way to use that time than to walk from GA to ME. To the dad who has a day to take young children to see a view they have to work for on a trail, I cannot think of a better way to use that day. Using earned vacation days to repeatedly return to the trail in order to complete it over a lifetime, I cannot think of a better use of time engaged in determined accomplishment...

Yup ^;)

BuckeyeBill
07-21-2017, 16:36
To me elitism borders on bigotry. Just remember we are all section hikers until we start at a terminus and walk to the opposite terminus in a calendar year. "Thru-hikers" out for the first time aren't thru-hikers until they have done a full end to end hike, so should they be entitled to special privileges? It has been said many times before that trail magic should be for everyone, because no one is special. Also "thru hikers" are actually on vacation, as are LASHers. Am I grateful for the trail magic? Yes, but I normally only get the items they have a lot of (i.e. diet sodas and coffee), and I stay away from food as much as possible, but the smell of a greasey cheeseburger makes it hard not to indulge.

TexasBob
07-21-2017, 20:54
To Texas Bob, I trust your advise as well as some others on here, but to say thru hikers don't seem to have meaningful employment was stretching things. I have met quite a few thru hikers that got sabbaticals and leave of absences from their jobs to hike the trail. I personally own my own business and have a great group of people working with me that I trust well enough to leave for either a thru or section hike. Granted not many people can do this but there is some that can. I only say this, as your statement sounded all inclusive of thru hikers.

I have worked for some of the largest corporations on the planet along with a company that was one of the fastest growing in the state.I can say that, while the employment was well compensated, in monetary terms...........I would never say that the experience was meaningful :-?
Forgive my poor attempt at humor, no offense intended toward thru hikers. I thought Bronk and rickb were joking as well.

scrabbler
07-21-2017, 21:58
It's all relative. I've gotten chastised for saying that our trip was "just 18 miles". For folks that barely walk around the block, "just" can come across as arrogant I guess.

BuckeyeBill
07-22-2017, 00:08
Forgive my poor attempt at humor, no offense intended toward thru hikers. I thought Bronk and rickb were joking as well.

All is forgiven. I just didn't want to get into a heated discussion where I lose that little part of my brain that shuts me up before I say something that would p**s someone off.

Alligator
07-22-2017, 02:48
Why isn't it generally said section hikers are out on vacation or going through a "transitional phase" as can so easily be the situation or regularly said they too are out just walking? What is a section hiker anyway? Isn't a section hiker most often simply one doing a hike - a hiker? Is section hiker not another hyped up word that might imply greater or a different significance than simply "hiker?" So it seems saying "I'm a hiker" JUST isn't good enough for many section hikers.

...I use the term section hiker to indicate a person attempting to become a 2000-miler over a period of time longer than one year. It's a term that developed in relation to thruhiker. I don't see it as a hyped up term for a person who hikes. Most of the time, people don't even pick up on the nuance (the 2000-miler goal). Now if you need an example of a word that demonstrates how people just don't find it good enough to be a hiker, consider the word thruhiker as it came first. Thruhiker is so cool it gets abbreviated."Yo I'm a thruhiker not a through hiker." The significance is hyped up too, because, well, we know roughly 75% don't make it but they get the fancy moniker anyway. Section hiker is a practical term as one is a section hiker until you finish or you die, or you quit. Quitting isn't really required though when you can take a twenty year break. There isn't really a lot of boasting by section hikers. Year after year after year, thrus start and finish before you. It's a multi-year exercise in humility. A section hiker reaches their moment of Zen when they realize it's about the journey not the destination.

Every section hiker knows it's a vacation and we use the time to clear our heads. It should also be understood that there is a very good chance a section hiker is transitioning, hiking is the first thing we do in the absence of responsibility.

Traffic Jam
07-22-2017, 08:20
Are you just a thru hiker if you've never hiked before, complete a thru hike, and never hike again?

cmoulder
07-22-2017, 08:51
I actually prefer it if, right out of the gate, somebody uses the word "just" (or "only" or "merely") in a condescending way because they immediately identify themselves as jerks so I know right away to avoid them.

And as far as having one's personal ego damaged by someone displaying this attitude... seriously, how does this in any way affect your self esteem?

Things like this bother you only if you allow them to. :sun

Dogwood
07-22-2017, 20:25
I use the term section hiker to indicate a person attempting to become a 2000-miler over a period of time longer than one year. It's a term that developed in relation to thruhiker. I don't see it as a hyped up term for a person who hikes. Most of the time, people don't even pick up on the nuance (the 2000-miler goal). Now if you need an example of a word that demonstrates how people just don't find it good enough to be a hiker, consider the word thruhiker as it came first. Thruhiker is so cool it gets abbreviated."Yo I'm a thruhiker not a through hiker." The significance is hyped up too, because, well, we know roughly 75% don't make it but they get the fancy moniker anyway. Section hiker is a practical term as one is a section hiker until you finish or you die, or you quit. Quitting isn't really required though when you can take a twenty year break. There isn't really a lot of boasting by section hikers. Year after year after year, thrus start and finish before you. It's a multi-year exercise in humility. A section hiker reaches their moment of Zen when they realize it's about the journey not the destination.

Every section hiker knows it's a vacation and we use the time to clear our heads. It should also be understood that there is a very good chance a section hiker is transitioning, hiking is the first thing we do in the absence of responsibility.

I get that's how you and some define being a section hiker. I have no problem with how you're defining terms. It helps clarify where you are coming from. However, quite often upon asking some questions of those that self identify as section hiker I find the term section hiker being applied to someone who's simply hiking not seeking to achieve the goal of ultimately completing an end to end, the entire trail,...a thru hike.

"A section hiker reaches their moment of Zen when they realize it's about the journey not the destination."

That's nicely stated. I like being around that type of environment no matter how one is currently labeling their hiking. It can also be said about thru-hikers too. Look at what Snorkel said as a thru-hiker: "When each step becomes a thing to celebrate in itself, that’s when the beauty of hiking really shines through." Liz further quotes Robert Pirsig who said of hiking, "You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you’re no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn’t just a means to an end but a unique event in itself….To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountains which sustain life, not the top.” I can't agree more. It's how I personally approach hiking also. No forced death marches for this hiker.

Making statements like "hiking is the first thing we(?) do in the absence of responsibility" I couldn't disagree with you more. It's a typical misconception of hikers particularly thru hikers that they are not being responsible or lacking or free of off trail responsibilities when they hike. Hog wash. It's as false as saying thru-hikers are lacking FT gainful employment or are Hippies or "druggies." It's because of unfitting misconceptions like these many hikers have to unnecessarily contend with assumptions about their character.

Alligator
07-22-2017, 23:20

Making statements like "hiking is the first thing we(?) do in the absence of responsibility" I couldn't disagree with you more. It's a typical misconception of hikers particularly thru hikers that they are not being responsible or lacking or free of off trail responsibilities when they hike. Hog wash. It's as false as saying thru-hikers are lacking FT gainful employment or are Hippies or "druggies." It's because of unfitting misconceptions like these many hikers have to unnecessarily contend with assumptions about their character.You misquoted me. I was answering your why question which was directed towards section hikers.

I harbor no misconception about people recreating. (As opposed to work where you get paid.) I applaud for every hiker (doubly so if you actually get paid to do it). By my own definition, section hikers have a goal in mind. My answer to your question was in regard to transitioning, and my answer was not absolute. A common lament among section hikers is not having as much time to hike the AT as we would like. It becomes difficult to finish sections further away from one's home base. Travel time, cost, available vacation time, and one's personal responsibilities do interfere with the completion goal. I'm not saying a section hiker can't be free all those things, retired for instance or independently wealthy.

None of what I said above is a misconception about anyone's character. All I see is a hiker when I pass somebody on the trail. Unless you spill your life story over the campfire I have no idea whether you are meeting or shirking your responsibilities. It doesn't really cross my mind much. About all that really crosses my mind is whether I expect to see the person(s) at my evening destination and whether I might get the whole shelter to myself or should I find a campsite.

Dogwood
07-23-2017, 10:16
The "we(?)" was wondering who are the we to whom you were referring... all hikers, section hikers, thru-hikers. When I reread over your initial post where you said "it should also be understood that there is a very good chance a section hiker is transitioning, hiking is the first thing we do in the absence of responsibility" it now becomes clear that your were referring to section hikers. That was my error for reading too quickly. But, do you not recognize how saying "hiking is the first thing we do in the absence of responsibility" can easily be misinterpreted as hikers lack responsibility - they are irresponsible - leading to such cultural stigmas as hikers are hippies, druggies, drop outs/escapists from that which is expected by society, having questionable anti-social American Dream goals, out having one big party, bums without gainful employment, dark characters, "just" recreating for pure recreational entertainment, entitled behaving, non benevolent, not submitting to authority, not concerned about furthering paid careers or education or, in a sense, market networking, building resumes, gaining meaningful social and biz and LIFE skills, during and after one hikes?

Bansko
07-24-2017, 07:14
Thanks to the OP for bringing up this topic, it's obviously an issue based on the number of responses. I remember running into a guy at a hostel in Maine last year who had a great attitude. While everyone else was talking about start dates and projected finish dates he stated that he started out as a thru hiker and then came to his senses. He had skipped some sections, gone blue blazing on others, and really didn't care what anyone thought about it. He was hiking his own hike and doing what he wanted.

sore ankle
07-27-2017, 08:38
Most of the thrus I have run into on the trail over the last 13 years say that they have more respect for section hikers than for thrus. The section hikers I meet have more respect for the thrus. Ironic.

rafe
07-27-2017, 09:04
Most of the thrus I have run into on the trail over the last 13 years say that they have more respect for section hikers than for thrus. The section hikers I meet have more respect for the thrus. Ironic.

I understand both points of view.

Gambit McCrae
07-27-2017, 09:12

"He always wants what he can not have!" lol

Heliotrope
07-27-2017, 09:17
Though I am just a section hiker so far I identify as a thru hiker.

rocketsocks
07-27-2017, 11:15
Though I am just a section hiker so far I identify as a thru hiker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalktheres a special rest area for you :D

Heliotrope
07-27-2017, 11:30
theres a special rest area for you :D

LMAO! Too funny

Alligator
07-27-2017, 14:02
The "we(?)" was wondering who are the we to whom you were referring... all hikers, section hikers, thru-hikers. When I reread over your initial post where you said "it should also be understood that there is a very good chance a section hiker is transitioning, hiking is the first thing we do in the absence of responsibility" it now becomes clear that your were referring to section hikers. That was my error for reading too quickly. But, do you not recognize how saying "hiking is the first thing we do in the absence of responsibility" can easily be misinterpreted as hikers lack responsibility - they are irresponsible - leading to such cultural stigmas as hikers are hippies, druggies, drop outs/escapists from that which is expected by society, having questionable anti-social American Dream goals, out having one big party, bums without gainful employment, dark characters, "just" recreating for pure recreational entertainment, entitled behaving, non benevolent, not submitting to authority, not concerned about furthering paid careers or education or, in a sense, market networking, building resumes, gaining meaningful social and biz and LIFE skills, during and after one hikes? I don't recognize that it should be misinterpreted from my statement. "hiking is the first thing we do in the absence of responsibility" implies that if we are hiking we are being responsible.

I'm not 100% sure but in your lengthy list, in times that I have said that I was section hiker, I think only the just recreating for pure recreational entertainment may have come up.

I've had all the rest of that said about me personally:datz though not in the context of being a hiker, but that's what friends are for right;)?

People do think we (hikers) are crazy with all the bugs, snowstorms, torrential downpours, snakes, wolves, bears, and violent criminals behind every tree in the woods. I sometimes try to gently dissuade them but the looks of disbelief I get are often too difficult to overcome so I just smile and look off into the distance. I just go to my hiking zone.

Dogwood
07-27-2017, 14:34
Gator, if we were face to face able to include physiology in our communication we would easily be clearer in our intentions. Too much typing and too much is easily lost and misunderstood here. :)

Gambit McCrae
07-27-2017, 14:54
Gator, if we were face to face able to include physiology in our communication we would easily be clearer in our intentions. Too much typing and too much is easily lost and misunderstood here. :)

Agreed,
Like how in person Lone Wolf is ACTUALLY a pretty nice guy LOL

Dogwood
07-27-2017, 15:00
Agreed,
Like how in person Lone Wolf is ACTUALLY a pretty nice guy LOL

....:D....

Speaks what he believes. Not a car salesman. I like pushing him though to get a reaction.

Lyle
07-28-2017, 13:27
And thru hikers need to realize that those who are "just" section hikers often have much more hiking experience than they do.

Excellent point and sooo true. Unfortunately, very seldom does anyone (hiker or service providers) recognize this fact. Many section hikers also have incredibly more "long distance" hiking experience than "thru hikers". Alas, I just smile and go about my hike. Mildly annoying, but not worth debating.

Another Kevin
07-28-2017, 15:08
Thru-hiker, section hiker, weekend hiker and over night hiker have one thing in common. They are all hikers. Doesn't matter how long or how far. If you section hike the entire trail, you still get a patch. I've done the PCT twice and the CDT once. I have sectioned hike much of the AT and have set my mind to a thru hike in the future. So because I haven't done a thru hike on the AT, should I be looked down on? I thought I have pretty good credentials. Another Kevin states in all his advice about being "Just a section hiker" but I would trust any advice he has to offer. There are several others whose advice I would trust as well.

You give me too much credit. I'm a clueless weekender. :)

I learnt a long time ago that words such as 'just' (when not referring to justice), 'only' (when not meaning 'solitary'), 'merely', are dangerous words. It's a good habit of thought that if you intend to use one of those words, you review your sentence without it, to see if it carries the same meaning. You'll often discover that the sentence means something else - and something considerably more interesting - without the word.

"Why don't you just frobnicate the veeblefetzer?" -- dismisses any other action. "Why don't you frobnicate the veeblefetzer?" -- invites an actual discussion of how to solve the problem.

"He's just a programmer," so couldn't possibly have my rarefied understanding of the job at hand. "He's a programmer," and so can bring computer skills to the table.

"It's just walking." That it is. I suppose. Sometimes it's walking thigh-deep in beaver swamp, or walking up a treacherous, slick rock slide, or postholing in three-foot drifts [1] or putting on a too-heavy pack and walking fifteen miles, knowing that you'll be doing the same thing the next day, or walking those same miles on a torn-up foot or a sprained knee because that's the only way you'll get back to a town and be able to get it fixed up. Well, that's certainly walking. Is it "just" walking? Depends on what you're comparing it with, I guess.

I remember a quote from Judith Martin: "I used to be just-a-secretary, but I got a promotion and now I'm a full secretary."

Me, I'm a short-distance hiker. (No 'just' about it.) I never have time to do more. Life gets in the way. The longest trail I've attempted was the 138-mile Northville-Placid, which is pretty easy; the greatest challenge is how wet it is, and how remote. I sometimes say I thru-hiked it. That's not quite the truth. I started out planning to finish it in 12 days plus two zeroes. I wound up finishing it in 12 days - plus about two hundred zeroes. Illness, winter, and injury delayed me. That's fine. I hiked the whole thing. I got the patch. I had fun - way more important than hiking the whole thing or getting the patch. I got some good pictures and some interesting stories out of it. I managed to give back to the community with a reasonably accurate GPS track and mileage table.

Now, I'm not up even to that; in fact, I haven't been around here a lot lately simply because it reminds me of what I'm missing out on. I lost about a year and a half of hiking from some medical problems, and I'm really frustrated with how slowly I'm having to work back into it. I did a day trip last weekend and was sucking wind over a lot of a 1900-foot elevation gain on a jeep road, for Finagle's sake! (I used to pride myself that even if I was very, very slow, I'm stubborn enough to go anywhere.) But there's no 'just' about it, except that it's 'just' how it is. I don't meet all that many folks my age out there, and the young 'uns have taken to telling me that they think it's great that I'm still hiking at my age.

So, I'll defend that 'clueless weekender' moniker, because I am and will always remain clueless about long-distance hiking, which seems to be the focus of this site. However, I might have learnt a thing or two about hiking in fifty-odd years of occasional weekend trips. But I'll let others decide that. I take my own advice with a grain of salt.

I always come out of a trip, or indeed almost anything, feeling as if I've taken more than I've given, which isn't quite fair. I'm an unjust clueless weekender aspiring to be a just clueless weekender - but never just a clueless weekender.

[1] Obligatory LNT: Please don't posthole. It's inconsiderate to hikers behind you. When I'm out on snowshoes, I hate tripping over other people's postholes.

Riocielo
07-28-2017, 22:59
This thread reminds me of something that happened on our last section hike in May. We were on our way from Woody Gap to Neels Gap and were approaching Dockery Lake Trail. At the same time a group of Day Hikers (yet ANOTHER hiker term!) were approaching the AT. It was then I tripped on a root and went stumbling down the trail. The gentleman in the other group asked me, "Are you a thru-hiker?"
I responded that I was not and he chuckled and said, "I didn't think so. You don't look like it!"

I am still not quite sure what he meant by that! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
07-28-2017, 23:05
Im frequently mistaken for a thru hiker when out on AT fall walks. Thin, beard, small pack, dirty.

What irks me is when people ask....for sole reason of offering their "trail magic", only to thru hikers.

pablo081002
07-30-2017, 07:55
Dunno, never really thought of it that way. I don't have the time to thru hike. I have always JUST hiked my own hike on many different trails.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
07-30-2017, 13:15
Im frequently mistaken for a thru hiker when out on AT fall walks. Thin, beard, small pack, dirty.

What irks me is when people ask....for sole reason of offering their "trail magic", only to thru hikers.

i like to set up a feed station and ask as the hikers walk by, if they're through hiking. if they say yes, i say i'm just feeding section hikers

Fredt4
07-30-2017, 17:07
It's a shame that hikers get categorized as "just a section hiker" or any other manner that reduces their status. As a 2011 AT thru hiker I never thought them as less worthy just because they weren't going for the thru hiker experience. Maybe they weren't physically capable or mentally situated to thru hike, it just wasn't my situation to judge their lesser status. Trail Magic belongs to no one and no one should expect to receive it. If someone is offering Trail Magic and your just a section hiker don't be offended if the person offering excludes you. It's merely their attempt to exclude those not worthy of the Trail Magic. If you feel the sting of a thru hikers wrath because you've taken some Trail Magic intended for them it's because they're a thru hiker and you're not. There nothing to to get upset about, it's just life. As a thru hiker I found life was easier as I didn't have to worry about food's excessive calories, just had to avoid the "lite" and "sugar free" versions as they didn't have enough calories to keep me from losing too much weight. I get it that you don't feel worthy about Trail Magic and are just want some extra food to help your excessive diet, but it's probably for the best that you avoid Trail Magic. So, don't feel bad that you're just a section hiker, it's part for the course, and give the thru hikers the respect and status the deserve. Plus, it's a tradition to share with them the excessive weight of food you have as you'll never eat the food that rightfully belongs to thru hiker. Accept that you can share your food with the thru hikers and that they accept your gift of food, just don't get worked up.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2017, 17:11
thru-hikers deserve NO respect or status. they're just walkin'

George
07-30-2017, 18:12
Snot: Are you thru-hiking?
Me: No, I plan to hike for awhile still.
Snot: I mean are you going to hike the whole trail.
Me: Yar, I plan on thru-hiking the PCT.
Snot: But this is the Appalachian Trail
Me: Are you quite sure?

I am going to pirate some of this line of BS

Malto
07-30-2017, 18:27
This thread reminds me of something that happened on our last section hike in May. We were on our way from Woody Gap to Neels Gap and were approaching Dockery Lake Trail. At the same time a group of Day Hikers (yet ANOTHER hiker term!) were approaching the AT. It was then I tripped on a root and went stumbling down the trail. The gentleman in the other group asked me, "Are you a thru-hiker?"
I responded that I was not and he chuckled and said, "I didn't think so. You don't look like it!"

That especially ironic given Woody gap is about 25 miles from the start. I suspect that most Just Section Hikers have more miles and more diverse miles than than the average "thru" wannabe at Woody Gap.

George
07-30-2017, 18:55
. The gentleman in the other group asked me, "Are you a thru-hiker?"

I do not ask, but I do speculate based on observations - of course as others said woody gap is early

so on what observations would I base my speculation?
gear is the easiest:
after the smokies too much gear (before neals too much is probably attempting )
worn gear in line with spot on trail

unkept grooming
fragrance
type of group
type of food

Heliotrope
07-30-2017, 22:05
i like to set up a feed station and ask as the hikers walk by, if they're through hiking. if they say yes, i say i'm just feeding section hikers

Do it! I'll be hiking sobo through the 100 MW in late August if you need section hikers to feed ;)

kestral
07-30-2017, 22:22
It's a shame that hikers get categorized as "just a section hiker" or any other manner that reduces their status. As a 2011 AT thru hiker I never thought them as less worthy just because they weren't going for the thru hiker experience. Maybe they weren't physically capable or mentally situated to thru hike, it just wasn't my situation to judge their lesser status. Trail Magic belongs to no one and no one should expect to receive it. If someone is offering Trail Magic and your just a section hiker don't be offended if the person offering excludes you. It's merely their attempt to exclude those not worthy of the Trail Magic. If you feel the sting of a thru hikers wrath because you've taken some Trail Magic intended for them it's because they're a thru hiker and you're not. There nothing to to get upset about, it's just life. As a thru hiker I found life was easier as I didn't have to worry about food's excessive calories, just had to avoid the "lite" and "sugar free" versions as they didn't have enough calories to keep me from losing too much weight. I get it that you don't feel worthy about Trail Magic and are just want some extra food to help your excessive diet, but it's probably for the best that you avoid Trail Magic. So, don't feel bad that you're just a section hiker, it's part for the course, and give the thru hikers the respect and status the deserve. Plus, it's a tradition to share with them the excessive weight of food you have as you'll never eat the food that rightfully belongs to thru hiker. Accept that you can share your food with the thru hikers and that they accept your gift of food, just don't get worked up.

I so hope you are kidding.

Right now now I am just a person reading white blaze, wish I was currently an exalted section hiker.

Fredt4
07-30-2017, 23:27
I so hope you are kidding.

Right now now I am just a person reading white blaze, wish I was currently an exalted section hiker.

Heh,heh. Perhaps I am, but it's difficult to post about a thread that's invites one side to an argument that's pointless. Perhaps "just a section hiker" is intended as a downer or perhaps it's not. Why get upset either way. There's a lot to be said about hiking that's important and such trivial nonsense is far from worthy discussion. But I understand some wish to complain about slights that justify their continued existence. I'm just not going to feel the need to worry about them as there's real issues we can discuss, such as bears & guns. OK perhaps that's not a real set but it's a lot more fun than whether someone slighted you by a name reference. So, all you section hikers get a grip and provide the food thru hikers justly deserve.

dzierzak
07-31-2017, 13:41
Heh,heh. Perhaps I am, but it's difficult to post about a thread that's invites one side to an argument that's pointless. Perhaps "just a section hiker" is intended as a downer or perhaps it's not. Why get upset either way. There's a lot to be said about hiking that's important and such trivial nonsense is far from worthy discussion. But I understand some wish to complain about slights that justify their continued existence. I'm just not going to feel the need to worry about them as there's real issues we can discuss, such as bears & guns. OK perhaps that's not a real set but it's a lot more fun than whether someone slighted you by a name reference. So, all you section hikers get a grip and provide the food thru hikers justly deserve.

I guess he forgot the smilie again...

Another Kevin
07-31-2017, 14:28
thru-hikers deserve NO respect or status. they're just walkin'

Thru hikers deserve as much respect as any other hiker. No more, no less.
Uhm, make that 'thru hikers deserve as much respect as any human being.' Everyone deserves respect until proven otherwise.
But I know that's what you meant.

MtDoraDave
07-31-2017, 21:52
I've used it as Gambit has to refer to myself when asked variations of these questions "Are you thruhiking?", "Are you a thruhiker", or "Heading to Maine?". Then I sometimes say, "Nope, just a section-hiker". In the past I did to some degree consider section-hiking to be a lesser state for me. This is because I always wanted to thruhike and didn't get to. But over time I have come to realize they are two different experiences with different pros and cons and I am very much at peace with being a section-hiker. I can't recall the just every being reflected back at me negatively. I do recall one time saying I was "just a section hiker" in response to a thruhiker inquiring about my hike and the thruhiker said something along the lines of "we are all just hikers". Nowadays I may still say it but it is only meant to indicate a neutral contrast. I generally use the word just for factual information, I am just stating the facts.So much of this I can relate to.
I have said many times that I'm "just a section hiker" in a self deprecating way, because I wish I could take the time to do a thru. I have been envious of the hundreds of guys and gals I've talked to who are living the dream. Living MY dream.

I am embracing the "the journey IS the destination" philosophy more and more. My journey has given me over 3 years of pleasure and experience of hiking the AT, a week or so at a time, two or three times a year.

When I get to spend time with a group of thrus, they sometimes learn that I have hiked as much or more of the AT as they have, they sometimes appreciate the one week at a time challenge or commitment ... Sometimes they don't, and sometimes they don't care one way or another.

I have noticed that by keeping an open and friendly attitude, the number of people I encounter who exhibit a negative or derisive attitude has been negligible.

When asked if I'm a thru hiker or if I'm heading to Maine, my answer is often: I'm on the ten year plan.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lnj
08-01-2017, 15:00
Seems like this entire discussion is based on the perception of others of "YOUR" hike. Who the flip cares? Hike with a friend or spouse or someone in your same shoes and be friendly with those who are friendly to you and ignore those who ignore you along the way and enjoy the hike. If every other person on the trail thinks you are an absolute joke.... WHO CARES? Why does anyone need the respect or approval of random strangers? If everyone else on the entire trail, in the hostels, hotels, cars and shelters thinks you are a rock star.... WHO CARES? Would that make you a real rock star, in fact? Nope. It's all just white noise in the head. Sounds like you need to take a walk and clean out the cob webs.

Another Kevin
08-01-2017, 18:04
Seems like this entire discussion is based on the perception of others of "YOUR" hike. Who the flip cares? Hike with a friend or spouse or someone in your same shoes and be friendly with those who are friendly to you and ignore those who ignore you along the way and enjoy the hike. If every other person on the trail thinks you are an absolute joke.... WHO CARES? Why does anyone need the respect or approval of random strangers? If everyone else on the entire trail, in the hostels, hotels, cars and shelters thinks you are a rock star.... WHO CARES? Would that make you a real rock star, in fact? Nope. It's all just white noise in the head. Sounds like you need to take a walk and clean out the cob webs.

I think you and I are in violent agreement. Purging that four-letter word 'just' is refraining from judging others, when applying it to them, or from inviting others to judge us, when applying it to ourselves, It's exactly what you're recommending.

Mr. Bumpy
08-01-2017, 19:53
This is entertaining. I wonder what Dave TV would have to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-4lX0QyZc