PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Parade Trail Days

waterboy99
02-01-2006, 15:00
I have thought long and hard and talked with many others before writing this post. Last year during the Hiker Parade there were some hikers that behaved very poorly. Some hikers ran up onto residents porches, through their yards, threw water balloons at dogs. Some hikers even snatched water balloons from childrens hands. Several residents complained about their windows being hit. One lady who's husband had just died a few days before was walking down the street with her daughter after the parade was over. She was approached by a hiker with a water blaster, she told the hiker we are not involved in all of this so do not spray us. The hiker told her "We own this town" and sprayed her and her daughter anyway. True, the hiker had no way to know about her husband but should not have done what he did anyway. The parade is a fun part of Trail Days and the water fight that is between the people watching the parade and the hikers is also suppose to be for fun. Hikers should remain in the street and not move into the attack mode and keep it fun for all. I know that it was a small number of hikers that caused the problem but as we all know the effect spreads to all hikers. It would be good if everyone in the parade will stay in the street and remember it is water fun fight not a water fight.

Hope everyone has a great hike this year and hope all thru hikers will stop by our place, the Dancing Bear for their free Mile stone cone. (except during the week of Trail Days) if you see the ice cream cone flag flying, we are home and serving.

Waterboy99

MOWGLI
02-01-2006, 15:08
I heard several stories like that from hikers last year while in town. One hiker bragged to me about stealing water balloons from kids. Another hiker told me about getting punched by a local when he tried to steal their water balloons. The hiker actually thought it was funny. :(

IMO, this is a symptom of a bigger problem. I hope this trend starts to reverse itself in '06. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Or should be anyway.

Footslogger
02-01-2006, 15:10
[quote=waterboy99]I have thought long and hard and talked with many others before writing this post. Last year during the Hiker Parade there were some hikers that behaved very poorly. Some hikers ran up onto residents porches, through their yards, threw water balloons at dogs.
=====================================
I was right there with you waterboy99 and I agree ...it got totally outta hand. Fun is fun and everyone expects getting a little wet but last year's event got dangerous for some.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
02-01-2006, 15:11
It gets worse every year. Trail Days is out-growing the town.

chomp
02-01-2006, 15:29
I thought the same thing last year. A few years ago, I bought 5 water guns in town, and gave 4 of them away to kids on the parade route. OK, I gave away AFTER I had gotten some of those little suckers wet.. :)

But this is supposed to be a fun event. I saw a lot of hikers bombing people sitting way back up against the church. Hikers were involving a lot of people that clearly did not want to be involved. I am not sure how this could be addressed, but I hope that it is.

MOWGLI
02-01-2006, 15:32
Maybe there is a role for ALDHA to play with the Endandered Services Campaign. I think we have some ALDHA Board Members here, both past & present. Better to be proactive than reactive, I always say.

neo
02-01-2006, 15:57
I heard several stories like that from hikers last year while in town. One hiker bragged to me about stealing water balloons from kids. Another hiker told me about getting punched by a local when he tried to steal their water balloons. The hiker actually thought it was funny. :(

IMO, this is a symptom of a bigger problem. I hope this trend starts to reverse itself in '06. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Or should be anyway.

when i was at trail days in 2002 i heard this idiot hiker brag about getting drunk and twisting his ankle and ending up in jail for being drunk and disorderly,this is not what trail days is supposed to be about:cool: neo

Peaks
02-01-2006, 17:55
You know, it takes 2 to tango. So, both the hikers need to should restraint, as well as the locals.

I believe the L Wolf is on the local orgainizing committee. I'm sure that if it's a problem, he can address it. Also, if you want to curtail the activity, probably we should let it be known at the start of the parade that water play isn't going to be tolerated.

StarLyte
02-01-2006, 18:58
Last year I had a hiker run up to me and literally snatched the water bucket out of my hands and took off running with it. I went looking for him later-found him, but he looked intimidating so it wasn't worth the hassle.

I have something better for him this year though :D

Marsha

Frosty
02-01-2006, 20:08
You know, it takes 2 to tango.
Nah, try telling this to driveby shooting victims, rape victims, mugging victims, burglary victims and the woman who asked the hiker not to wet her and her daughter.

When behavior is as described in the first post in this thread, it is pretty clear that some hiker behavior crossed the line, and blaming the townspeople will not help achieve a resolution to the issue.

Disney
02-01-2006, 20:34
You know, it takes 2 to tango. So, both the hikers need to should restraint, as well as the locals.

I believe the L Wolf is on the local orgainizing committee. I'm sure that if it's a problem, he can address it. Also, if you want to curtail the activity, probably we should let it be known at the start of the parade that water play isn't going to be tolerated.

I disagree.

There is a middle ground that should be sought between banning "water play" completely and something approaching anarchy. The good natured fun involving hikers and locals that most of us were involved in is fine. That type of light hearted fooling around is expected and enjoyed by both sides. The problem comes when people take it to far.
Ripping things out of the hands of children should not be tolerated. When the parade is over and an elderly woman asks not to be soaked, her wishes should be respected. The arrogance behind "we own this town," and the over the top actions that stem from it are part of the reason that some locals are pushing for moving the trail outside of town, and even to ban trail days altogether.
We are in their home, they are not in ours. This kind of problem should be addresed. It's pretty simple too, just say something. Tell the stories at trail days and on the trail about how not to act, that will at least slow the trend towards anarchy.
Perhaps the best solution is to follow the same restrictions that the military faces. Do not fire unless fired upon and don't steal things from children.

JojoSmiley
02-02-2006, 09:16
As a member of the board of ALDHA I will be going to Amicalola Falls this March to address some of the hikers starting out and this is one of the concerns my husband and I will be addressing. We also plan to hang out at the summit of Springer for a couple days doing the same thing. It is a matter of respect the hikers need to have for others. They need to remember that just because they are hiking this great trail does not give them any special priviledges. A lot of us have done a lot of miles and don't expect any kudos for it. I just hope everyone that does encounter hikers anywhere out there help them to remember that.

fishinfred
02-02-2006, 10:27
Yep theres always the few folks that go a bit overboard and its up to fellow Hikers to let their friends know when they are getting out of hand ...I heard last year (wont mention any names) that a Hiker was so bold as to walk in the RESTROOMS at the park after the parade and unload his super soaker on whoever was in there and not just the mens room! Probably the same Hiker that was so RUDE to the Lady mentiomed above. All I can say is "the Parade is a Blast " and alot of fun for all (townspeople too) but this year I hope that the "FEW" will keep the water on the Parade route.
Since this thread is about the Parade what do you all think about having a WhiteBlazers group (with banner) and L.Wolf leading the way on his bike :)
following HOBO CENTRAL and Pirate .... sounds like fun to me !
Almost time to head for the Hills! SEE YA'ALL OUT THERE!
FF

Lone Wolf
02-02-2006, 10:49
I'm all done with the parade. I'd rather sit in Dot's.

Grampie
02-02-2006, 11:20
I have been to several Trail Days in the last few years and marched in the parade. I have to agree, it is starting to get out of hand. Problems should be addressed before they go too far. I'm woundering if it would help if some parade guide lines were drawn up and posted.
If it was done in the proper manner, it may help and it would send a message to the town, that we are concerned.
I still believe that a good part of the unruleness, that takes place during Trail Days, is caused by non thru-hikers.:-?

Singe03
02-02-2006, 12:31
I had a great time at Traildays in 2003, but I remember thinking that it was not going to last, its just too much for a quiet, small town. I also just can not really see how it could be toned down much, if you have that many people and that much alcohol, your going to get a few jerks who simply will not respect the locals and ultimately its the locals who decide whether to host the event or not.

I do not even know if ALDHA's endangered services campaign has the reach to get that many people. Some of the problems I saw (and I did see a number of things I thought were problematic) were underage locals, probabily from surrounding towns, drinking and people who did not seem to really have much to do with the AT. The AT community can cause alot of trouble on its own, but there seems to be alot of outside help at Traildays.

I actually hitched north to get to trail days then went back south to the trail and while traildays was alot of fun, I enjoyed Damascus alot more my second time through when it was quieter. The locals seemed more friendly and relaxed, the folks at MRO and the post office were awesome helping me resolve a problem I was having, even the food at Dots was better. If I get to hike again, Damascus is definately a place I'd 0, but I really doubt I'd make any effort to make Traildays again, its fun and I love a good party, but it was just a bit "much" for my tastes. I really doubt that unless the festivel changes alot, it will last more than a few more years.

Lilred
02-02-2006, 21:03
As a member of the board of ALDHA I will be going to Amicalola Falls this March to address some of the hikers starting out and this is one of the concerns my husband and I will be addressing. We also plan to hang out at the summit of Springer for a couple days doing the same thing. It is a matter of respect the hikers need to have for others. They need to remember that just because they are hiking this great trail does not give them any special priviledges. A lot of us have done a lot of miles and don't expect any kudos for it. I just hope everyone that does encounter hikers anywhere out there help them to remember that.

Sorry JoJo, but if I were one of the hikers you were lecturing to on top of Springer, I think I'd be more than a little irritated at some stranger telling me how I should or should not behave while I'm hiking. Yes, I agree that some behaviors are not acceptable, but I am an adult and I don't need anyone telling me these things. Those of us that don't cause trouble, won't. And those that get drunk and out of hand won't listen to you anyhow. Save your lectures for in towns and keep them off the trail. Talk about throwing a wet blanket on the start of someones thru-hike. Most of these things are addressed in the many hiker guides that are out there to begin with. If you really want to make a positive impact, then inform them of the proper way to bury their poop so we don't have TP gardens sprouting around all the shelters.