PDA

View Full Version : Water Sources on Mount Bigelow Maine?

sqidmark
07-19-2017, 08:36
About Aug 3-4. Out and back heading up from Flagstaff Lake campsite. Goal is to hit Avery, West and the Horns. Obviously, I don't want to carry more than necessary.

red5
07-20-2017, 05:07
There's a small spring in a box somewhere in between Avery and West I believe. It looked a bit questionable so I skipped it. Perhaps it was just low at the time. Then there is the Horns Pond which I use to refill my bottles (treated, of course).

egilbe
07-20-2017, 06:16
Avery col campsite has a spring buried in the rocks about three feet off the ground. Its in a cave, kinda. Horns pond campsite has a spring and Horns pond. Im assuming you are coming up the Safford brook trail from Flagstaff? That has water on it and at the tentsite at Safford Notch. I see no reason to carry more than two liters of water. Can probably get by with one liter, depending on your fitness level and the temps.

sqidmark
07-20-2017, 08:31
Perfect, thank you. Sounds easy, this should be a piece of cake, eh? :D I'm used to the NJ section of the AT and clearly expecting this to be much more challenging. Hamburger feet and crunchy knees will be my major concerns. Hopefully preventitive measures taken will be sufficient, if not, I turn around.