PDA

View Full Version : Mid Atlantic in October several questions

Gambit McCrae
07-19-2017, 09:14
I am having a harder time finding info from first hand experiences then I did for the southern portions of the trail. I can read Guthooks and my data book but that doesn't give reviews, or a gist of how the trail is/ what to expect.

First 2 weeks of October - Salisbury, CT sobo for 14 days.

Expected Mileage - 206 miles to DWG.

Flying into Hartford, CT from Nashville, TN on a late Friday night flight. Hotel in Hartford, shuttle pickup sat morning to Salisbury.

2 weeks later, George Lightcap (The Bead Man), has agreed that due to the length of trip, and all of our possible ending spots being in his shuttle range, we can work out the specific pickup point a day or 2 before the end of the trip. He will pick us up and drive us to Newark Airport for an evening 8pm flight...Back to Nashville, TN by 9pm.

So logistics are figured out, and I feel pretty good about that aspect of the trip.

Weather looks amazing, day temps in the 60s low 70s...Nights getting down in the 30-40s. From the heat map it looks like we could see some almost peak fall colors during this time?

I have a feeling the terrain is not going to be as easy as the profiles reflect it to be? Looks like the there are only a couple climbs over 1000k, with an average of 500-800ft.

I am having trouble finding a good nero day for resupply and motel at about 90-100 miles in...Any help there would be appreciated.

Any near trail attractions that include food, beer or a nice place to stay are appreciated.

I am a tent dweller vs shelter guy, enjoy tenting by water but don't have to, any stretched with good tent sites, especially right outside of towns would be nice to know in advance (Ex Boiling Springs, PA - Setup camp outside of town, go in for beer and pizza, head back to camp).

Thank in advance!

tdoczi
07-19-2017, 11:00
I have a feeling the terrain is not going to be as easy as the profiles reflect it to be? Looks like the there are only a couple climbs over 1000k, with an average of 500-800ft.

theres basically **just** one rough stretch, from the bear mountain bridge to 17A.

maybe a couple spots in CT, but im less familiar and its been awhile

Just Tom
07-19-2017, 22:32
Only two places on the AT in CT where you will have elevation gain of 1000 feet, and if you are going south bound from Salisbury you are probably skipping Bear Mountain (the CT one) so only one other. That is the section between Kent and Bull's Bridge.

illabelle
07-20-2017, 04:32
Only two places on the AT in CT where you will have elevation gain of 1000 feet, and if you are going south bound from Salisbury you are probably skipping Bear Mountain (the CT one) so only one other. That is the section between Kent and Bull's Bridge.
We hiked Connecticut this spring, SOBO. It was raining when we climbed up the north side of the CT Bear Mountain. Bit of a beast! Up was hard, but down would have been treacherous in the rain.

The second section I guess includes St John's Ledges? Funny, after a long flat walk beside the river, I actually looked forward to climbing up that thing.

gsingjane
07-20-2017, 07:39
Welcome to the great state of Connecticut! Yes, if you are starting at Salisbury, you are most definitely skipping Bear Mountain. But, directly as you head south out of town you will hit Barack Massif which is actually harder than it appears (and not so fun to climb, 15 minutes out!). But you will have a couple of fun surprises "up top," Giants Thumb and Rands View, that will make it worthwhile. The other climb in Connecticut, as Illabelle stated, is St. John's Ledges. It comes right after the easy river walk, though, and leads into the beautiful Macedonia Brook area. FWIW, I also found the climb up to Mt. Algo from Rt. 341 outside Kent to be challenging.

In my view, the southern half of New York state can be a bit of a grind. There are many, many ups and downs, and it seems frustrating that you're not making the kind of progress you would anticipate. You had asked about a halfway point for a break, from what I can tell there are a lot of options right in the Bear Mountain (NY) area. The Stony Point retreat center (http://stonypointcenter.org/book-a-room/athikers) seems friendly and hiker-oriented although you definitely have to book ahead. For re-supply, there are a lot of small stores and delis pretty near the trail - and I'm told that you can get off the trail in Greenwood Lake, NY, for a bigger re-supply or post office visit.

Do be sure to bring along a warm-ish bag and even a hat and gloves. Our weather in October can range from 70's, as you noticed, but get pretty darn chilly at night.

Enjoy the trip!

Jane

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2017, 08:21
Thanks everyone! Really starting to look forward to this trip, sounds like the terrain is about what I expected, ups and downs more like the rollercoaster south of HF, and less like the long big climbs of the southern half.

gsingjane- I am hoping to pack about 4-5 days food, and take advantage of as many pizzas and deli subs along the way - This way making my resupply either late in week 2, or null all together. I am a light eater on the trail out of my food bag, and a real fata$$ in towns lol.

From the video research I have done last night, looks like we have a pretty good chance to see some great fall colors, as well as some heavy frosts. My plan is a light down puffy, winter running leggings, down beanie, running gloves, 15* bag, summer Exped pad, and possibly my tarp depending on if we have gotten some good frosts up in that area yet, I doubt it and will end up carrying my tarptent. A couple placed I have noticed I would like to try and hit are the RPH shelter due to food delivery and the amc Mohican center.

All the info you guys can provide is much appreciated, I am really enjoying the planning side of this trip - I have found that education of a section is much more valuable then a day by day plan when going out for a week or more at a time.

We have 16 days to hike, which puts us at a 13 mpd average to finish. I am thinking if we just take advantage of the flats, and stick to our 13 we will have no problem finishing and if all goes like my last trips, and my previous long trips, we will A) Get to DWG early and B) want to keep going with our remaining time south into PA a few days which will only benefit my completion of PA in the spring.

rafe
07-20-2017, 15:13
Nothing particularly difficult about the terrain, your usual PUDs and lots of green tunnel. Or maybe not so green but brilliant foliage instead.

Beware wet, freshly-fallen leaves, they can be very slippery.

Of the miles you're looking at, I think my favorite is still the short section above Greenwood Lake, and the Kittatinny ridge in NJ.

(Best time to visit RPH shelter was last weekend!)