PDA

View Full Version : Last minute family car camping trip to western NC recommendations.....

saltysack
07-19-2017, 10:51
Thinking about heading to NC for 3-4 days late next week....

Thinking about car camping Standing Indian campground and heading to NOC to raft and zip line as kids love it...any other spots should check out..sliding rock lil far so looking for other similar spots or camping areas..probably do a few day hikes but likely nothing too long. Any ideas or great spots...don't have to stay at SI just a thought as my kid loved playing in the streams catching critters....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
07-19-2017, 11:09
One thought that comes to mind strictly because you list western NC and I've been hiking dealing with the summer heat...

Balsam Mountain Campground in GSMNP. (Yea, what a surprise... I would recommend something in GSMNP... but that's what I know).
The campground is at an elevation of 5,300' (yea, over a mile high). It's a relatively small 1st come 1st serve campground located off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Other than a front country campground, there isn't too much right near by.
There is driving the Balsam Mtn dirt road (sort of like taking a back country hike in a car).
If you got the money to spend, there's the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad train excursions down in Bryson City not too terribly far away.

Gambit McCrae
07-19-2017, 11:10
Salty, sounds like a good plan so far...Other spots that are high on my "love to go to spots" that would be car camping friendly:
Hot Springs, NC..You Got Hot Springs Rafting company right in town A++ to them on the French braud, good eateries in town that are family friendly(Iron Horse station is my favorite, and sitting on the deck at spring creek tavern), also is Max Patch right down the road.

Next on the list is Brevard, NC.. .Quick jump up to black balsam for a sunset and tenting right on the Mountain to sea trail at the X with Art Loeb Trail makes for a convenient camping spot 100 yards from the car.

Of course if you can get reservations in GSMNP there is great activity in the park right now with the fireflies.

Venchka
07-19-2017, 11:14
Linville Gorge? Not sure where you car camp. There must be somewhere. The drive from Marion to Grandfather Mountain is nice.
Have fun.
Wayne

rocketsocks
07-19-2017, 11:16
Kitty hawk if ya like airplanes and history.

saltysack
07-19-2017, 11:57
lots of great ideas....Hoo...as far as Balsam mtn do you need permits or pay on arrival since it's in the park? Its actually shorter drive than Franklin...Gam..like hot springs also may check out rafting there vs NOC as done NOC several times...Wayne...haven't been to the gorge in many years a true lu beautiful place...so many choices..thx again

Ashepabst
07-19-2017, 12:07
They started requiring reservations for Balsam Mtn a while back.

saltysack
07-19-2017, 12:22
They started requiring reservations for Balsam Mtn a while back.

Not what it says on the nps website.....

NC Hiker/Angler
07-19-2017, 12:40
I would second the Art Loeb/Shining Rock Wilderness area off the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's been toasty in NC so the 5,000 foot elevation makes a difference for enjoyable hiking. Lots of great day hike options that can be long or short and offer mountain crest hikes or streams. As others have mentioned you can car camp off Black Balsam Road near the Art Loeb trailhead but it gets crowded. You could also try Mt Pisgah Campground which about 5-10 miles north on Blue Ridge Parkway.

Gambit McCrae
07-19-2017, 12:44
Something on my to do list is a BRP/Skyline Road Trip with the accommodations of living out of the car for an extended weekend. Startup at clingmans at sunrise and head to SNP, return trip straight down i81 to i40

HooKooDooKu
07-19-2017, 13:02
Balsam Mountain is a front country campground. No permits needed. However, it is exclusively first-come first-served. They don't take reservations. You pay in advance (cash might be required) $14/night at a kiosk.

You go to the campground, find an available campsite, unload your stuff. Then go to the kiosk at the entrance to the campground and fill out a registration form. You indicate the number of days you plan to stay and then place your payment in an envelope and drop it in a deposit box. The part of the registration form that you keep, you clip to the stand at your campsite that marks your camp number. When you look for an available campsite, you have to pay attention to these registration forms on the marker stands as someone might have already paid for a site but be away for the afternoon without leaving anything behind. The camp caretaker comes around to these registration forms and writes the exit dates on the form so you can read it as you drive by. If you find an empty site with a registration form with today's date on it, you know it's an available site and the previous occupants have left forgetting to remove the registration form.

The only GSMNP front country campground that REQUIRES a reservation is Cataloochee.
Others, like Cades Cove, take reservations, but if you just show up and there are unreserved spots available, you can get them.

saltysack
07-19-2017, 13:05
Something on my to do list is a BRP/Skyline Road Trip with the accommodations of living out of the car for an extended weekend. Startup at clingmans at sunrise and head to SNP, return trip straight down i81 to i40

Sweet idea.....

Dan Roper
07-19-2017, 13:53
Graveyard Fields on the Blue Ridge Parkway is spectacular high-country - open areas, forest, mountain streams. You can day hike or backpack. There are pools suitable for swimming for the intrepid (water is cold). Waterfalls too. This is south of Asheville.

Tennessee Viking
07-19-2017, 14:46
Bear Den campground near Spruce Pine is always a popular multi-service campground along the parkway.
Near Linville Gorge, Mt Mitchell, and Wilson Creek backcountry.

Or do South Mtn SP, and you can do all the loops you want.

daddytwosticks
07-20-2017, 07:07
My neighborhood. Definitely do some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Your kids may enjoy the train that goes between the NOC and Bryson City. Your wife may love checking out the shops in Franklin, Bryson City, Dillsboro, etc. Hope you have a great time. I simply love living in this area. :)

dmax
07-20-2017, 10:06
If you want primative car camping, consider Cable Cove on Fontana Lake.

importman77
07-21-2017, 05:05
I recommend the Mt.Pisgah Campground right on the BRP. It's across from the Pisgah Inn. I enjoyed a short stay there one time. The restaurant at the inn is excellent and has a deck with really nice views across the mountains. It's between Asheville and the Maggie Valley area. Pretty sure it's reasonably close to sliding rock too. Also close to numerous trails including Graveyard Fields.