PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a gps/ hiking app for Android for the AT

Impostormaxx
07-19-2017, 17:51
Hello, I am looking for information about which gps app to use on my phone while hiking the AT. I found one app called Alpinequest and was wondering if all the maps I would need for the AT would be available for download and work offline with this app? Or if you have used a different app for Android which one and how was it for the trail. Thanks

ZombieDust66
07-19-2017, 17:59
Hello, I am looking for information about which gps app to use on my phone while hiking the AT. I found one app called Alpinequest and was wondering if all the maps I would need for the AT would be available for download and work offline with this app? Or if you have used a different app for Android which one and how was it for the trail. Thanks

I just took a 4 day hike on the AT in June. I used the Guthook app. It shows the trail in map view or elevation view. Has pictures and comments of most of the water sources, shelters, campgrounds, scenic views, etc. You can use the app in airplane mode so your phone battery doesn't drain to fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZombieDust66
07-19-2017, 18:06
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.highsierraattitude.atcomplete&hl=en

JC13
07-19-2017, 18:35
Guthook as mentioned above.

David Miller
07-19-2017, 18:57
Is there another app for the AT that has similar functions? I have never heard on any.

Slo-go'en
07-19-2017, 20:16
Is there another app for the AT that has similar functions? I have never heard on any.

I believe there was another guy promoting his version here on WB not too long ago. I forget the details.

For what it costs, the Guthook app is well worth the money. Although you save a little by buying the whole set, you can buy as you go.

There are a bunch of apps which you can down load topo maps which would have the AT on them, but you don't get the points of interest data and distance between. Knowing where the reliable water sources and established camp sites are (and how far away the next one is) is valuable data.

ZombieDust66
07-19-2017, 20:21
I believe there was another guy promoting his version here on WB not too long ago. I forget the details.

For what it costs, the Guthook app is well worth the money. Although you save a little by buying the whole set, you can buy as you go.

There are a bunch of apps which you can down load topo maps which would have the AT on them, but you don't get the points of interest data and distance between. Knowing where the reliable water sources and established camp sites are (and how far away the next one is) is valuable data.

I hiked Beaty Spot to 19E (TN/NC) and Guthook was super accurate and detailed.

ldsailor
07-21-2017, 15:36
I used Guthook for over 1,000 miles on the AT and it's great. Not only does it give trail specific info, but also has a handy guide for off trail resources. It makes a printed guide almost unnecessary (I use the AWOL Guide for planning).

However, there is a new app for Android that is in beta and free to download the app and maps. The name is Hikerbot. I have it and plan to try it on my continuing hike north on the AT in September.

MtDoraDave
07-22-2017, 07:00
I understand how nice the guthook app can be, and don't wish to deter anyone from using it - but - what if the phone gets wet, dropped, or the the battery dies? It is prudent to have a paper backup, imo.

I understand not wanting to carry the whole book with you as you hike. Some people cut the book into half or quarters to reduce the weight of what they are carrying, swapping out the parts of the book they need in a mail drop. I've only done sections of the trail, a week at a time, so I photocopy the applicable pages of AWOL's guide and keep them in a ziploc bag.

Questions about guthook's app and working in airplane mode: Does it work in airplane mode on all phones?
Over the years, on some of my phones Google Maps GPS worked in airplane mode, while on some of them it doesn't. My current phone, the Moto Z, Google maps GPS does NOT work in airplane mode. Would the Guthook app work in airplane mode even though Google maps does not?

Venchka
07-22-2017, 08:02
MtDoraDave,
Guthook and Airplane Mode vs. Google Maps and Airplane mode:
The same is true on my iPhone 5S. Guthook works in airplane mode because the base maps are stored locally on the phone. Google maps are online and you need a cell signal to retrieve them. You don't have to be in airplane mode to loose Google maps.
So, in theory, the Guthook app will work for you in airplane mode. You can download the app and test it in airplane mode before buying any of the trail maps.
Good luck.
Wayne

DownEaster
07-22-2017, 12:38
I understand how nice the guthook app can be, and don't wish to deter anyone from using it - but - what if the phone gets wet, dropped, or the the battery dies? It is prudent to have a paper backup, imo.
I've got to disagree here. It might also be prudent to carry a second sleeping bag in case your primary one gets wet. How many people do that? You need a sleeping system on the AT. Having a guidebook is nice, but not strictly necessary.

The AT is extremely well marked, and highly traveled. You can take reasonable precautions to keep your phone going (tough case, zipper bag to keep it dry, and a power bank to recharge your headlamp and other electrical devices). If your phone fails despite precautions you can follow the white blazes, and talk to other hikers about upcoming terrain and resupply points. Ordering a new phone sent overnight to you in the next trail town would be a known financial risk, but one without additional weight penalty. Paper (which also needs to be protected against getting lost, soaked, or otherwise damaged) as a backup is an ongoing drag in your pack.

DownEaster
07-22-2017, 12:46
Google maps are online and you need a cell signal to retrieve them.
That's the default, but you can download the maps and store them on your phone in advance. I'm going to grab the map data onto my PC and then copy it onto a microSD card and also store it in the cloud. If I lose the data on the Trail somehow I just need to buy a replacement microSD card, pop it into the phone, and gain WiFi access for a bit to download the map data again.

Venchka
07-22-2017, 12:54
Why not carry a copy on a card in your phone? Your way is several hoops to jump through.
Where is this Google map download explained? I would like that to use with Argus in airplane mode. On an iPhone.
Thanks for your help.
Wayne

Venchka
07-22-2017, 12:56
Ok, I get the spare card is in the phone.
Wayne

DownEaster
07-22-2017, 13:09
Yeah, the iPhone makes things harder because of no removable storage. I've only read up on the Android Google Maps app procedures, so I know the theory of how to assemble the map data on my PC and write it to a 128 GB microSD card, then pop that card into the phone. I think you ought to be able to write to your iPhone's nonremovable storage direct from your desktop, but I'm clueless as to the details.

Venchka
07-22-2017, 13:47
Thanks. Welcome to the Legion of the Clueless! I'll investigate.
Wayne

Traveler
07-22-2017, 14:56
Much easier to use electronic "find me" systems than map and compass as well. Probably a better deal for a lot of folks.

ldsailor
07-22-2017, 23:38
You can download Google maps directly to your phone's internal storage (Android & IPhone) or directly to an SD card (Android).
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en&oco=0
Once an area map is downloaded, put your phone in airplane mode to save your battery.

Both Guthook and Hikerbot download maps to a designated location (internal or SD storage). Once that is done, the programs will work in airplane mode. Hikerbot's download takes a while because of their slow Internet connection. It's also a big download. Do it where you have a reliable wireless connection and a lot of time.

If you have an Android phone, check out Hikerbot. It really looks like it might be a great app once it comes out of beta testing.

Fredt4
07-22-2017, 23:56
Backcountry Navigator is my choice for Android. It isn't necessarily AT app, but I consider that to be it's best feature, you learn how to use it and it'll work for any trail. I used it for my 2011 AT thru hike and have used it since on many different trails.

ChuckT
07-23-2017, 06:43
"Legion of the Clueless" (I must be a charter member) when do I get my Merit Badge?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ChuckT
07-23-2017, 06:45
Guess I'm too old-school I have carried a GPS and paper maps. And for a cellphone app I much prefer Gaia.

egilbe
07-23-2017, 07:46
I use the Gaia app when not hiking the AT. Download the map layers of the area I plan on hiking. Plot my waypoints if I need to. Use my phone to occasionally check where I am, use a waterproof paper map and compass, if I have one of the area.

on the AT? Guthook works.

MtDoraDave
07-23-2017, 08:21
I've got to disagree here. It might also be prudent to carry a second sleeping bag in case your primary one gets wet. How many people do that? You need a sleeping system on the AT. Having a guidebook is nice, but not strictly necessary.

The AT is extremely well marked, and highly traveled. You can take reasonable precautions to keep your phone going (tough case, zipper bag to keep it dry, and a power bank to recharge your headlamp and other electrical devices). If your phone fails despite precautions you can follow the white blazes, and talk to other hikers about upcoming terrain and resupply points. Ordering a new phone sent overnight to you in the next trail town would be a known financial risk, but one without additional weight penalty. Paper (which also needs to be protected against getting lost, soaked, or otherwise damaged) as a backup is an ongoing drag in your pack.

My first thought was that you were just being argumentative - but after the ever important pause - I realized that I was the one who injected the paper argument into the thread specifically targeted at finding info for a gps hiking app. Ha!

I'll just shut up and maybe learn something. :)

joefryfry
07-23-2017, 09:46
I have done a good bit of work in Google Earth marking waypoints along sections I am hiking. I mainly use guthooks, but I would like to be able to view my own KMZ or KML that I have created. I have not found a good app though, to use offline for importing and displaying KMZ or KML. Anyone know of any?

I can view my data in Google maps, but there's no labels and there's generic symbols.

mitchs1224
07-27-2017, 14:52
I used Guthook for over 1,000 miles on the AT and it's great. Not only does it give trail specific info, but also has a handy guide for off trail resources. It makes a printed guide almost unnecessary (I use the AWOL Guide for planning).

However, there is a new app for Android that is in beta and free to download the app and maps. The name is Hikerbot. I have it and plan to try it on my continuing hike north on the AT in September.

not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me why when you select a point on the map lets say just for example a shelter icon it will open a information window that shows the closest waypoint, water source, and the shelter in each direction. Sometimes it will say for ex. next water source 4.2 miles but then on the map you'll see a water icon only 1 mile away?? hope this makes sense i just bought the app and im still trying to get to know it.. thank you for your help

ldsailor
07-28-2017, 12:28
not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me why when you select a point on the map lets say just for example a shelter icon it will open a information window that shows the closest waypoint, water source, and the shelter in each direction. Sometimes it will say for ex. next water source 4.2 miles but then on the map you'll see a water icon only 1 mile away?? hope this makes sense i just bought the app and im still trying to get to know it.. thank you for your help

Guthook gives you distances from your position to whatever waypoint you select. If you look at the shelter information and it reports the next water source, it is reporting the distance from that shelter - not your current position.

I hope I interpreted your question correctly. If I did, then you have your answer.

Another Kevin
07-28-2017, 15:20
Backcountry Navigator is my choice for Android. It isn't necessarily AT app, but I consider that to be it's best feature, you learn how to use it and it'll work for any trail. I used it for my 2011 AT thru hike and have used it since on many different trails.

Another vote for BackCountry Navigator. It works fine with downloaded maps. I also do my own maps for it. PM me if you use BCN or Gaia and want to try to download a section. It would help me to learn what I need to do to improve (with the caveat that whatever I do has to be done with the data I have or can get).

Another Kevin
07-28-2017, 15:20
"Legion of the Clueless" (I must be a charter member) when do I get my Merit Badge?

I didn't know we had a legion! Tell me more!

Venchka
07-29-2017, 14:52
I didn't know we had a legion! Tell me more!

Lots of us. The older I get the more clueless I become.
Unless I'm conversing with...
Never mind. I may be clueless, but I haven't forgotten my manners.
a vast host, multitude, or number of people or things.
"legions of photographers and TV cameras"
synonyms:horde, throng, multitude, host, crowd, mass, mob, gang, swarm, flock, herd, score, army, pack
"the legions of TV cameras"
Wayne

ChuckT
07-29-2017, 14:58
May be an honorarium?