PDA

View Full Version : Testing hammock at home

skylark
02-01-2006, 17:50
How do you hang the hammock at home to test it? How do you put hooks in a room to hang from? I have a typical midwest wood frame house.

I'm don't want to damage the drywall too much. Any ideas on what type of hook or bolt to put in a wall to hang from?

Seeker
02-01-2006, 17:54
How do you hang the hammock at home to test it? How do you put hooks in a room to hang from? I have a typical midwest wood frame house.

I'm don't want to damage the drywall too much. Any ideas on what type of hook or bolt to put in a wall to hang from?

i only do mine outside... between a tree and a very solidly set 4x4 post that is also anchored on top... no chance of pulling anything down that way...

i'd be really cautious about setting up inside... your weight can generate some enormous leverage on the walls...

hammock engineer
02-01-2006, 18:35
I lucked out and have 2 trees that are just about right. If I did not I would pit some posts in.

You might want to look into hammock stands. You may be able to set one up inside or out.

neo
02-01-2006, 19:53
a cloth line pole and a tree:cool: neo

Just Jeff
02-01-2006, 20:24
I couldn't find any good trees, so I got the Vario hammock stand to use inside or outside. A bit heavy but it works great...I even take it to the drive-in movie sometimes.

peter_pan
02-01-2006, 20:29
A home without trees is reason to move IMHO...

Pan

Just Jeff
02-01-2006, 20:47
Haha...actually we have several trees, they're just on the other side of the fence and I don't want to sleep near the road. They do a pretty good job of blocking the view into the house, though...pretty private lot considering the area. The few trees inside the fence aren't really suitable for hammocking.

But we're not in Monterey for long anyway!

gdwelker
02-01-2006, 22:33
I hang mine from the posts supporting the second story deck.

Just Jeff
02-01-2006, 23:16
Back in Charleston, I hung mine in the corner of a 6' privacy fence from the 4x4 posts. It worked fine, but I could see the stress on the fence when I sat down.

attroll
02-02-2006, 01:33
I can hang mine outside also. But I also am able to hang it on my spare bedroom. I went to The Home Depot and bought two large hooks. I was able to screw them into the very corner of the room when the 2x4 is at the wall corner in each corner and then I strung my hammock from it. The hooks have to be heavy duty hooks you can not use the plastic covered utility hooks. I found out the hard way.

ScottP
02-02-2006, 02:09
did the same in my dorm room, it worked fine. Most hooks rate for weight, make sure to check.

River Runner
02-02-2006, 03:32
I test in my backyard - I'm fortunate enough to have two trees just barely far enough apart.

Smooth
02-02-2006, 12:09
Skylark,

I know just what you mean. Winter blues, how to test stuff without spending a cold night out.

I installed two nice large screw eyes into the wall and several screws into the wood floor with picture hanger hooks. I painted the wall screw eyes the wall color. I live in a cheep wood frame house, so cheep I call it a cabin.

Obviously, I live alone.

With this set up I can pitch any tent, hammock, tarp, or laundry drying line that I want. Really helps to choose what to go with and "is that really big enough?" type questions.

In better weather times, I just go outside as I choose to live in the woods.

I can here the Guys laughing and the Girls cringing. Oh well, it does not look as bad as it sounds.

Jonas4321
02-02-2006, 12:13
Skylark-

I, too am "blessed" with no trees to hang from, so I built a hammock stand designed by Risk. I have taken this with me to (car) camping trips and Scout leader training activities where there were no trees. It disassembles easily and fits into my Mazda Protege (I actually measured the car specifically for this stand before I signed the purchase agreement- the salesman thought I was nuts).

It cost me $30 to build. I think Risk shopped for cheaper lumber <grin>. Also, since I didn't own a pipe cutter, I asked my local lumber store to cut the top pipe and they did for $1.

Also, I added a "foot" under the 2x4 bottom "beam", because I step on it when getting out, and the means for interconnecting the two halves of this "beam" don't like being stepped on.

Here's his website with complete instructions:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm

Good luck!

Jonas

farpost
02-03-2006, 01:44
How do you hang the hammock at home to test it? How do you put hooks in a room to hang from? Skylark,
When we returned from Brazil in the 80s, the family demanded a place for hammocks. After one near disaster, we now have hooks in 3 rooms. I used heavy duty eyebolts, at least 3 in long, screwing them into studs in places where there are at least 2 studs together, such as near door or window frames. They are positioned so that the hammock hangs at a 45 degree angle from the wall to minimize the perpendicular force on the wall (think vector addition). For our cloth hammocks, an S-hook attaches to the eyebolt and the hammock's rope loop hooks on the S. For the HH, I just tie the straps to the eyebolt.

Hana_Hanger
02-03-2006, 02:19
Thanks farpost for that info...I have been trying to get dear sweet hubby to hang up hammocks in the house for years...now with this info....no more excuses :)