PDA

View Full Version : Uses for a not-so-dry bag?

DownEaster
07-20-2017, 05:53
I ordered a cheap 8L "waterproof dry bag" from China (labeled "TRINKA") via eBay. I put it to the test by filling it halfway with water, and moisture started beading up on the outside of the fabric. It's a slow leak, but this is not a waterproof bag.

I can't use it for food, because odors would escape to attract animals and any accidental spills would seep through the bag and mess up my backpack. I can't rely on it to keep my clothes dry in a heavy rainstorm. I'm not sure what to use this for. (It was too cheap to make it worthwhile shipping it back overseas.) I've only had a couple of thoughts so far:

It could suffice for washing clothes (add water and Dr. Bronner's soap, then shake to agitate), because the leak is slow.
If I'm collecting a lot of water to take to a nearby campsite, a slow leak wouldn't be too annoying as long as I got on with bathing or filtering fairly quickly.

Can you folks suggest other uses for what's essentially a very water-resistant stuff sack?

Hikingjim
07-20-2017, 07:43
8l seems bad for a food bag anyway? If you already use a trash compactor bag or a cover for your pack, then it could be fine for clothes as a second protection, and a pillow case if you don't bring a pillow (assuming it's pretty light)

Ashepabst
07-20-2017, 10:27
gear storage at home?

Slo-go'en
07-20-2017, 10:32
Because of the pressure, water will leak out of the sack a lot easier then it will leak into the bag. Unless you fall into a stream, it's unlikely the sack will get submerged. And even then, if the sack is sealed properly at the top, air pressure will tend to keep the water out. Test it out by putting a towel or the like in the sack and dunking it in a bathtub or bucket of water. Or simulate a rain storm in the shower.

It's main purpose is to protect from incidental wetness, like wet ground or in the pack next to your wet tent or to protect from splash which gets into the tent during a heavy rain.

If you have any liquids in your food bag which might leak, it should be in a zip lock or other well sealed container. Waterproof or not, a cloth bag isn't going to stop food odors. For that you need special odor proof storage bags. Their like a heavy duty zip lock bag with a more robust zip lock.

saltysack
07-20-2017, 11:16
Because of the pressure, water will leak out of the sack a lot easier then it will leak into the bag. Unless you fall into a stream, it's unlikely the sack will get submerged. And even then, if the sack is sealed properly at the top, air pressure will tend to keep the water out. Test it out by putting a towel or the like in the sack and dunking it in a bathtub or bucket of water. Or simulate a rain storm in the shower.

It's main purpose is to protect from incidental wetness, like wet ground or in the pack next to your wet tent or to protect from splash which gets into the tent during a heavy rain.

If you have any liquids in your food bag which might leak, it should be in a zip lock or other well sealed container. Waterproof or not, a cloth bag isn't going to stop food odors. For that you need special odor proof storage bags. Their like a heavy duty zip lock bag with a more robust zip lock.

+1...I've used my fair share of various dry bags i.e. Cheap Wally World brand, Sealine, STS etc....the pvc/plastic types are true DRY bags but heavy and unnecessary for backpacking...even on extended multi day SUP trips the fabric type that leak as OP described work fine even on long wet ocean trips...if it's critical to remain dry simply line with a compactor bag..I've never had an issue ON THE WATER....personally I can't imagine using one hiking as a compactor or nyloflume bag has never failed me.....and I don't use a pack cover.....

DownEaster
07-20-2017, 12:19
a pillow case if you don't bring a pillow
I've got the pillow handled: my puffy jacket with a buff as pillow case; that's a lot softer than a nylon dry bag.

Time Zone
07-20-2017, 16:48
I ordered a cheap 8L "waterproof dry bag" from China (labeled "TRINKA") via eBay. I put it to the test by filling it halfway with water, and moisture started beading up on the outside of the fabric. It's a slow leak, but this is not a waterproof bag.

Is it possible you had cold water in the bag, in an environment of warm, moist air? That would then be condensation, like you'd see on a glass of iced tea, not a leak.

saltysack
07-20-2017, 18:25
Waaaay over worrying about it...as SLO said .....not designed to hold water....will keep splash out don't sweat it...i Did same test as you many years back with these old S2S dry bags..I still use these for multi day open ocean sup distance trips without any issues even containing a down items...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170720/cd58bbbef8bb8ec5a429d9ebbb22c98b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170720/ffe7bb77b06fbade5c34231934863731.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
07-20-2017, 19:56
My annual reminder to avoid eBay. Thanks!
Wayne

DownEaster
07-20-2017, 21:20
Is it possible you had cold water in the bag, in an environment of warm, moist air? That would then be condensation, like you'd see on a glass of iced tea, not a leak.
Nope; I'd thought of that ahead of time and filled with the faucet set to hot. The kitchen is farthest from the water heater in my house (great design there!) so the water starts cold and when I stopped filling the bag was a bit warmer than body temperature. It was a slow leak.

My only previous dry bag use was with expensive "sea bags" from L.L. Bean. Those could be filled to the brim at the nearby lake and hung up at camp; they never leaked.

DownEaster
07-21-2017, 05:02
After I left neutral feedback for this mostly waterproof bag on eBay, the seller offered a partial refund to revise my rating and boost their long-term reputation. So my cheap but not waterproof bag became cheaper still. Now I'm probably obligated to carry it to Maine, likely for dirty laundry. ;)

saltysack
07-21-2017, 09:13
Nope; I'd thought of that ahead of time and filled with the faucet set to hot. The kitchen is farthest from the water heater in my house (great design there!) so the water starts cold and when I stopped filling the bag was a bit warmer than body temperature. It was a slow leak.

My only previous dry bag use was with expensive "sea bags" from L.L. Bean. Those could be filled to the brim at the nearby lake and hung up at camp; they never leaked.

Are those the heavy pvc/plastic type like cascade designs Sealine brand? Those can be submerged but heavy and over kill for backpacking....

saltysack
07-21-2017, 09:14
My annual reminder to avoid eBay. Thanks!
Wayne

True buy quality brands.....buy once....we've all made that mistake.....

DownEaster
07-21-2017, 13:31
Are those the heavy pvc/plastic type like cascade designs Sealine brand?
No, they were nylon bags, just with heavy fabric (like 420D) and similarly heavy PU coating. Roughly the same capacity and weight (also cost) as a modern long-distance backpack. The waterproof zippers were pretty impressive: you could zip along the length for normal gear access, or zip across one end and you could fill these huge duffel bags with enough water that two grown men would strain to carry one.