PDA

View Full Version : Sudden change in Employment Status

Captn
07-23-2017, 23:05
I recently unexpectedly found myself laid off. This gives me the opportunity to spend 4 o5 weeks on the trail starting mid to late August. I have completed Georgia and Maryland and was considering Damascus to Harpers Ferry, or at least as close to Harpers Ferry as I could. What can I expect hiking VA in August and September in terms of bugs, Weather, how many people might I expect hiking though VA this time of year, and any other details you would share ...

Pastor Bryon
07-24-2017, 00:07
August can be a month of extremes, from blazing heat/humidity to almost chilly at night. Have some dry clothes you can change into pretty soon after you quit hiking for the day.

Water can become an issue. Any source listed as seasonal/questionable may well be dry, depending on recent rains.

Number of people is pretty thin, I've gone a day without seeing anyone.

Gnats and mosquitos, yes, and plenty of them. Recommend a head net, personally, unless you have strong patience or don't mind waving your had in front of your face constantly.

I'm near the halfway point; if you need any help, just hit me up.

Captn
07-24-2017, 06:07
Thanks! I waited until October/November to do Georgia, Warm the first week and freezing the next. Maryland I did mid June and it was pretty warm. Would I be better waiting until the first or second week of September?

Venchka
07-24-2017, 07:42
Have you ever considered going west?
Wayne

LittleRock
07-24-2017, 08:57
Have you ever considered going west?
My thoughts exactly. Unless you go up to New England, it's gonna be hot and humid every day on the AT.

Venchka
07-24-2017, 09:34
August in New England was no picnic either as I remember. Climate change may have fixed that.
Meanwhile, morning lows in the 30-40 range, lots of water and no crowds a day and a half west of Houston.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
07-24-2017, 09:37
I hiked PA to central VA between early August and mid September in 2007. High temps in the low to mid 80s most days, till early September. Main issue was lack of water.

Captn
07-24-2017, 15:18
I hiked PA to central VA between early August and mid September in 2007. High temps in the low to mid 80s most days, till early September. Main issue was lack of water.
I am flexible ... if I left September 1st would that make a big difference?

Dogwood
07-24-2017, 15:27
You can do better cherry picking out of so many sectional options. Consider 4-5 wks further north on the AT for your timeframe. Lend greater consideration wt to the Damascus HF segment for early to mid spring and mid to late fall/possibly even early winter for cooler temps, leaf peeping, wildflowers, flowering trees and plants and less human competition.

Captn
07-24-2017, 19:20
Thanks ... how far North would you suggest?

Dogwood
07-24-2017, 21:53
Somewhere north of Houston. :D It's your hike HYOH.

What are your priorities? Do you want to finish the AT? If so does it have to be finishing at Mt K or can you finish elsewhere? R U willing to do sections in different directions? Do you want to or willing to hike within or through any AT thru-hiker bubbles or not? Would you be physically ready to start a ME SOBO on one of the AT's more difficult climbs of Mt K or do you want to somewhat more so work your way into a 4-5 wk trail life shape?

Captn
07-25-2017, 07:46
Somewhere north of Houston. :D It's your hike HYOH.

What are your priorities? Do you want to finish the AT? If so does it have to be finishing at Mt K or can you finish elsewhere? R U willing to do sections in different directions? Do you want to or willing to hike within or through any AT thru-hiker bubbles or not? Would you be physically ready to start a ME SOBO on one of the AT's more difficult climbs of Mt K or do you want to somewhat more so work your way into a 4-5 wk trail life shape?

And this is why I came to whiteblaze for advice! What fantastic questions! I do have a goal to finish the AT via section hiking, although I've still got a lot of miles yet ahead. I love being around the thru hiker bubble, although I doubt I can log enough miles to stay with one group without getting in better hiking shape. I've been working out for over a year now weight lifting and walking at least 4 to 5 miles a day. Since leaving work I've been hiking the local arroyos here every day with a 25 lb pack. Would I be ready for mount K? Although I'm in better shape than any of my previous hikes including Georgia, I really have no idea what to expect. North or South, doesn't matter. I guess I had always just assumed that I would finish at Katadin ...

With all that said, my priorities would be: Be around at least a few people at shelters (even though I hammock I still enjoy being around other hikers), beautiful scenery, which I haven't been disappointed on the AT yet. Nights above 40 degrees, days in the 60's/70's would be ideal. I can certain see myself coming back east in the spring to do a section down south. I left the AT near Fraklin, NC and still want to hike north through NC and the Smokies.

So any help picking a section is appreciated!

Venchka
07-25-2017, 08:52
A greenhouse Backpacker. I hope you find what you're looking for. Have a great hike.
I'll be leaving the Upper East Side of Texas soon bound for higher elevations, cooler weather, no shelters and no crowds.
Wayne

Scrum
07-25-2017, 09:07
With all that said, my priorities would be: Be around at least a few people at shelters (even though I hammock I still enjoy being around other hikers), beautiful scenery, which I haven't been disappointed on the AT yet. Nights above 40 degrees, days in the 60's/70's would be ideal. I can certain see myself coming back east in the spring to do a section down south. I left the AT near Fraklin, NC and still want to hike north through NC and the Smokies.

So any help picking a section is appreciated!
Go to Hanover New Hampshire, and start walking north on the AT and see how far you get. This will give you a little time to get used to the hiking before hitting the White Mountains. In August, days will be hotter than your idea, especially lower down. Lots of people around at the shelters, as you will be mixed in with NOBOs, section hikers and lots of folks just out for a hike that happen to end up on the AT part of the time. Great scenery.

Alternatively, start at Katahdin and head south. There will be a few late starting thrus, and you will run into the NOBOs at shelters. Your workout regime should have you in good shape to take on the 100 Mile Wilderness - maybe set up a food drop along the way. This way you can work out all the logistics and permit for BSP before you start.

Good luck and have fun.

Dogwood
07-25-2017, 10:00
I helped you get some clarity without needing to overwhelm with all the excruciating details. You had these answers in you all the time. It's a hike. Don't be paralyzed seeking perfection because you think with so many options there's always a better one than the one you currently chose. Don't succumb to info overload. You already have been given two viable possibly legit suggestions. If you don't like those field a few more that have YOUR individual parameters met. THEN choose. Enjoy the journey. ;)

Shutterbug
07-25-2017, 19:38
I recently unexpectedly found myself laid off. This gives me the opportunity to spend 4 o5 weeks on the trail starting mid to late August. I have completed Georgia and Maryland and was considering Damascus to Harpers Ferry, or at least as close to Harpers Ferry as I could. What can I expect hiking VA in August and September in terms of bugs, Weather, how many people might I expect hiking though VA this time of year, and any other details you would share ...
Since you have to travel anyway, why not hike a section of the PCT? August and September are prime time to hike in Washington. You could start at Highway 12 and hike south. Temperatures would be comfortable and you would hike through some of the most beautiful parts of the USA. Nothing on the AT compares with that part of the PCT for beauty. Hiking south, you would meet a lot of thru hikers who are headed North.

ChuckT
07-25-2017, 19:58
PCT in August/September - outstanding!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Venchka
07-25-2017, 21:10
Or the CDT with half the travel distance.
But
Some folks are hooked on the AT. They just won't listen.
Have a great hike! Get out of Houston in August and September.
Wayne

Captn
07-25-2017, 21:53
Or the CDT with half the travel distance.
But
Some folks are hooked on the AT. They just won't listen.
Have a great hike! Get out of Houston in August and September.
Wayne

I set a goal years ago to section hike the AT to completion... Just carrying through with my plan

Driver8
07-26-2017, 01:26
Captn: Consider Maine or VT/NH. Much cooler. Getting into the best time of year, and the trail is beautiful up this way.