PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Damascus from Georgia

mikecordes
02-01-2006, 19:38
What is the best way to get from Georgia ti Damascus to begin a 3 month hike north? We don't want to drive a car and leave it because it will be easier to get back home to Cleveland, Ga from New York or farther north.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2006, 20:20
Greyhound bus to Marion, Va. which is 30 miles from Damascus. I can pick y'all up for nothing.

Tim Rich
02-01-2006, 20:23
What is the best way to get from Georgia ti Damascus to begin a 3 month hike north? We don't want to drive a car and leave it because it will be easier to get back home to Cleveland, Ga from New York or farther north.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's about 250 miles to drive between Cleveland and Damascus, so a ride with a friend would be best for this 4.5 to 5 hour drive. Greyhound has service from Gainesville to Kingsport for $53 one way (7 day advance rate), but it's a marathon 15 hour trip to get there, including two transfers and a five hour layover in Charlotte. That's probably your cheapest option, though.

You could also hitchhike, although I'm not comfortable with that except from road crossings into towns.

Good luck on your hike and in your trip to the trail.

Once you have a good idea of when you'll get off the trail, it'll be cheapest to get back to Georgia by flying. Drop into a town and check the internet sites of Airtran and Delta to get their sale fares. If you plan three weeks or more in advance (occasionally as little as 14 days), you can usually fly to Atlanta pretty cheaply from a number of east coast markets.

Current Airtran sale fares one way:

Baltimore $84
Boston $84
New York (LaGuardia) $89
Newark $89
Newport News/Williamsburg $69
Philadelphia $84
Pittsburgh $84
Richmond $69
Washington, D.C. (Dulles) $79
Washington, D.C. (Reagan National) $79

Take Care,

Tim

Tim Rich
02-01-2006, 20:24
Greyhound bus to Marion, Va. which is 30 miles from Damascus. I can pick y'all up for nothing.

Forgot about Marion, it's probably the same $53 as Kingsport.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2006, 20:25
Or you could fly into Tri-Cities Airport which is 45 miles from Damascus. I can pick you up.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2006, 20:26
Forgot about Marion, it's probably the same $53 as Kingsport.
Kingsport is too far away.

mikecordes
02-02-2006, 17:15
Thank you for the offer Lone Wolf. We will start the first week in May. I'll contact you closer to that date if I can't find a ride to Damascus.

general
02-02-2006, 19:10
Thank you for the offer Lone Wolf. We will start the first week in May. I'll contact you closer to that date if I can't find a ride to Damascus.

if you wanna wait until may 18, i'll be driving from cleveland, ga to damascus va for trail days. i think i have 2 empty seats in a grand cheorkee.

mikecordes
02-03-2006, 09:19
We need to start no later than May 8..Thanks for the 2 tickets.. We are neighbors.. I live in the Woods just off the intersection of Post Rd and Old 75...