PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks Duplex / Door Mod

jgillam
07-25-2017, 10:50
I thought I'd share this for current and future Zpacks owners as I've found it useful.

In an attempt to give myself a little more privacy in group settings and increased rain protection while still leaving the doors partially open for ventilations sake, I purchased 2 sets of Zpacks peel and stick toggles and mounted them midway up the downwind doors, in-line with the stock door toggles and the lower corner of the door. Now I can roll two of the doors half way up if I so desire. I've been in two decent downpours so far with at least one side of the tent set up like this, and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170725/8d842e096fba597652b689921447ad11.jpg

soumodeler
07-25-2017, 14:28
Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

Now I'm off to ZPacks website to place an order...

DuneElliot
07-25-2017, 15:55
I like it. Thanks. I'll have to look into doing that on mine...when I have some money!

greensleep
07-25-2017, 16:01
I also think this is a good idea; just went to the ZPacks site and couldn't fine them though. Any idea where to buy them?

SteelCut
07-25-2017, 16:08
I also think this is a good idea; just went to the ZPacks site and couldn't fine them though. Any idea where to buy them?

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tape.shtml

Look for: Stick-on Loop and Stick-on Toggle

jgillam
07-25-2017, 16:59
I like it. Thanks. I'll have to look into doing that on mine...when I have some money!

It's a $10 project in case you hadn't looked into it.

Rex Clifton
07-27-2017, 13:58
Been thinking about this. I'm gonna take a piece of shock cord, tie a mitten hook on one end, a loop on the other, larkshead the loop around the trekking pole and attach the mitten hook to the open door. Should have the same result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kaptainkriz
07-27-2017, 17:53
I like this too...will be adding that to mine. :)

Stone1984
07-30-2017, 06:43
Dang just placed an order at zpacks too lol
But taking the Duplex out for 10 days in september this might be useful

jgillam
07-30-2017, 13:20
Just a note to those who attempt this mod. When I did mine, I put both parts of the toggle, exactly opposite of each other. Depending on how I roll up the door, it's a little tight to fit the toggle through the loop. It's not bad but, could be easier.

Anyway, I camped last night and was looking at the relationship of my toggles vs. the relationship of the standard factory door toggles (top of the doors) and realized that they had offset there's. Doing so may make it a little easier on you to feed the toggle through the loop.

Best of luck.

Drkshdw
07-31-2017, 12:39
that is a really great idea, can't believe that never even occurred to me

bigcranky
08-01-2017, 07:09
Our previous tent was the SMD Lunar Duo (awesome tent!!!), which has the same sort of 2-part door over the vestibules, but it has a zipper so the door can be opened or closed MUCH more easily, and also can be partially zipped for more rain protection while still ventilating. I have been mulling over how to make the Triplex doors work better, and this mod looks pretty good. Thanks for the note on the offset, too.

I see why you put it only on one side, of course, since the tie out for the door is at the end -- but I wonder if one could rig a tie out from the middle toggle on the door, and thus be able to add this mod to both doors on the same side? Does this even make sense? It would allow more ventilation and views, and keep the privacy and rain protection.

Thanks again for posting this.