PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a longer trail to thru-hike near me in NorCal

trinsic
07-27-2017, 14:04
Hi every one I posted a message in the PCT board about thru-hiking the PCT from where I am at in Sebastopol CA to Mexico. Someone suggested I try a shorter hike for my first thru-hike I was wondering if anyone knows about trails that are longer than one or two day hikes. I was looking at hike books for trials I'm my area but they all have short hikes, I'm having trouble finding longer hikes. If anyone can point me in the right dir. that would really help.

Thank you

Scott Larson

Dogwood
07-27-2017, 14:26
OMG. You're in NoCal. This is your backyard. Already gave you three well more than 2-3 day options. Pt Reyes Nat Seashore(with connections to other trail systems), Lost Coast Trail, other parts of the Cali Coastal Tr, the huge trail system around San Fran. Keep looking. You're looking in the wrong places. You can't tell me in No Cal, of all places, you can't put together a wk long hike.

Venchka
07-27-2017, 19:48
PCT. Donner Summit (Interstate Highway between Sacramento and Reno). Northbound as far as your inclination and funds allow. There are no pesky quotas going north as there are going south through Yosemite.
Scrub the Thru Hike term from your brain. It means nothing. Go hike. Have fun.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
07-27-2017, 19:51
I'm guessing there are hiking and outdoor meet up groups in your backyard. Google knows how to find them. You'll get more info than you need.
Wayne

Malto
07-27-2017, 20:47
You have one of the premier backpacking trails in the world in your backyard, the John Muir Trail. There are countless routes that you can hike, it doesn't have to be a named trail. I started my serious backpacking by hiking close to a thousand miles in the Sierra on trails without three letter names. Get a map of any mountain area near you, find the little dotted lines and hike. It really is that easy and you can pick any distance you want.

trinsic
07-28-2017, 15:42
Ok the winner is John Muir Trail. Thank you.

Venchka
07-28-2017, 20:29
Ok the winner is John Muir Trail. Thank you.

It's easier to get a permit south to north. There is a connector trail from SEKI NP, the High Sierra Trail.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/high-sierra-trail.htm
Apparently SEKI and the High Sierra Trail are served by public transportation and park shuttles.
Now that you have discovered the most popular trail in North America, treat it right.
Good luck.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
07-28-2017, 21:20
always the bigfoot trail too
Not sure the state of marking, etc on it

Spirit Walker
07-29-2017, 10:44
Tahoe-Yosemite Trail might be easier to get permits than the JMT. Tahoe Rim Trail for a loop hike. Pt. Reyes is great hiking for a short trip. Big Sur/Ventana Wilderness has some good hiking as well.

Venchka
07-29-2017, 11:46
The TRT seems like a perfect training ground for anywhere in the Sierras. You can even get a taxi for a shuttle. There might be a spot or two where water is scarce. The TRT Association can get you sorted on all of that.
Wayne

trinsic
07-30-2017, 15:38
Thanks guys, look at info and planning a trip for next year. It looks like you have apply for a permit 168 day before your actually travel date. I was thinking of going in mid augest of 2018. I will check out the Tahoe rim trail as well.

kestral
07-30-2017, 16:14
Don't know how close it is, but I walked around crater lake last fall. Magical place, very few people except at visitor centers.

Venchka
07-30-2017, 19:21
Thanks guys, look at info and planning a trip for next year. It looks like you have apply for a permit 168 day before your actually travel date. I was thinking of going in mid augest of 2018. I will check out the Tahoe rim trail as well.

Permit:
As I said earlier, starting in the south and hiking North Bound is less crowded. Using the High Sierra route is also very viable and more easily accomplished. Be flexible. Don't pick one start date and live or die with it. August is also the popular month. Earlier could be snow packed. September is also popular but maybe not as busy as August.
Get over your infatuation with popular designated trails and you can hike without hassles. Budget for a bear can and a pack to carry it.
Good luck.
Wayne

Venchka
07-30-2017, 19:29
Don't know how close it is, but I walked around crater lake last fall. Magical place, very few people except at visitor centers.
A greener, wetter version of the TRT. Truly unique in North America.
Mt. Ranier's Wonderland Trail is another west coast classic.
Wayne

Venchka
07-30-2017, 19:57
If the JMT permit process gets you down, there is an alternative. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone.
https://backcountrypost.com/threads/the-theodore-solomons-trail-southern-portion-sierra-nevada-july-6-2017.6993/
Enjoy!
Wayne

trinsic
07-31-2017, 17:53
Thank you ��

If the JMT permit process gets you down, there is an alternative. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone.
https://backcountrypost.com/threads/the-theodore-solomons-trail-southern-portion-sierra-nevada-july-6-2017.6993/
Enjoy!
Wayne

Venchka
08-02-2017, 08:50
Pick a Wilderness Area. Piece together a loop.
Enjoy!
https://backcountrypost.com/threads/sierra-2017-ansel-adams-wilderness.7004/
A few WhiteBlaze members are doing something similar in the Wind River Range soon.
Too many trails. Too little time.
Wayne