PDA

View Full Version : New York & New Jersey

Green Bean
02-02-2006, 00:06
Planning a section hike starting up in NY and probably hiking down to Pa. Just seein how the trail is through NY and NJ thanks!! ~GB

theurbansuburban
02-02-2006, 00:21
When are you planning on leaving? I'm probably doing that area late march.

Green Bean
02-02-2006, 11:37
aaahh.. probbaly somtime in August, im still in school so summer break is when i plan the long hikes!! ~GB .HAPPY TRAILS.

jackiebolen
02-02-2006, 11:42
I loved New Jersey....generally easy walking, lots of water, beautiful, good hostel stops. It was prob. my favorite state.

New York, however was quite the different story. When I hiked it, it was scorching hot, had crappy water sources and the trail had these giant slabs of rock to walk on that was hard on the knees and ankles.

You'll have a great time!

K-Man
02-02-2006, 12:23
Jersey Rocks....But I am a bit biased since I live here. Def check out the secret shelter near Vernon and the west mountain shelter in Harriman!!

Mouse
02-02-2006, 12:39
From NJ to the Hudson NY started with a high rocky ridgewalk with beautiful view but hot and dry, then ups and downs until the Hudson. Hudson to CT did not seem so bad.

NJ Water Gap to High Point rocky, then a long lower meadow walk through bottomlands then climbing up to ridge.

jamarshall
02-03-2006, 20:51
Did NJ last spring and I agree that it's one of the nicer stretches of trail. Not what I expected for NJ, that corner of the state was great. Water was a little hard to come by at Mashipacong Shelter (the pump at Deckertown Pike is gone). There were notices warning about it if you were heading north, but I was southbound.