PDA

View Full Version : Section hike #1

Suzzz
07-28-2017, 13:07
I made it!

It was years in the making but I finally completed my FIRST section of the AT. It was tough but so rewarding and I'm very happy to report that I came home with no injuries of any kind, not even a blister!

The difficulty of the terrain did surprise me however. I knew Maine was going to be tough but I though I was ready for it. As a result, I ended up going a lot slower than I had expected and wasn't able to complete the entire section I had planned to do from Stratton to Monson. I only managed to do about half of it from East Flagstaff Rd to Moxie Pond. Thanks to Paul's suggestion at Caratunk House B&B, I decided not to do the Bigelows and it was, in insight, an excellent decision. Being as slow as I was, if I had done the Bigelows, I wouldn't have had enough time left for much else.

I also learned quite a few things. I was so worried about running out of food that I carried enough to survive the apocalypse... probably one of the reasons why I was so slow. A Steripen is a great tool but if floaties in your water gross you out you're better off with a filter. Although fuel canisters are not reusable they're way faster and more efficient than Esbit. And last but not least, quilts are great but I think I'm more of a sleeping bag kind of person... I like to have my toes nice and cozy inside a toe box instead of waking up 10 times a night because they wandered off outside of the quilt.

Of all this, what I'm most proud of is the fact that I did manage to sleep alone in my tent with no one around for one night. I was able to set up at a shelter or campsite all of the other nights but on that one night in particular I was simply too tired to continue on, and to be quite honest I was just too tired to care whether anyone else was around or not, I just wanted to stop and go to sleep, so I did. And guess what? I slept like a baby. I'm sure the fear of sleeping alone in the woods will probably never entirely go away but at least now I know that I can do it and it's very empowering!

I'm very happy with what I accomplished on this hike and I'm hoping to return next year for another section.

imscotty
07-28-2017, 13:26
Suzz, congratulations. Sounds like the hike was a success. Good lessons learned. Did the hiker food taste better the more you hiked? :)

Many quilts come with ties you can use to cinch up the bottom and create a longer toe box. You should give this a try.

Suzzz
07-28-2017, 13:40
Suzz, congratulations. Sounds like the hike was a success. Good lessons learned. Did the hiker food taste better the more you hiked? :)
Many quilts come with ties you can use to cinch up the bottom and create a longer toe box. You should give this a try.

Actually, I had very little appetite if any for the entire hike and had to make myself eat a decent meal before going to bed every night, which was very foreign to me. Appetite, or lack there of, is not usually a concern. I did bring some dehydrated hiker meals but I had also brought some pasta from home so I ate that instead of the hiker food.

Traffic Jam
07-28-2017, 13:41
Awesome. Glad to hear you had a great trip. I have a big smile on my face right now thinking about your accomplishment. :)

Old Hillwalker
07-28-2017, 13:45
Welcome to hiking in Maine Suzz. Many happy returns. Glad everything went well.

Traffic Jam
07-28-2017, 13:53
Actually, I had very little appetite if any for the entire hike and had to make myself eat a decent meal before going to bed every night, which was very foreign to me. Appetite, or lack there of, is not usually a concern. I did bring some dehydrated hiker meals but I had also brought some pasta from home so I ate that instead of the hiker food.

I have this problem when hiking and have to force myself to eat also. You'll figure out what works for you.

What helps me is very, small snacks during the day and a normal-sized, hot dinner at night. Fritos always taste good to me so I have a handful with every meal.

Riocielo
07-28-2017, 23:05
Congratulations, Suzz, on your first section hike!
Like you, I always take more food for the two of us than we eat. I just don't have that much of an appetite.

You post resembles something I try to do after each hike, write down what worked, what didn't, and anything I need to do differently next time. Then I review it when I start planning the next hike.

I hope you have many, many more great hikes in the future!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suzzz
07-28-2017, 23:29
Thanks for the kind words guys. It does feel good to be finished and yes, Riocielo, I am taking notes for next time.

MuddyWaters
07-29-2017, 03:29
Now dont you feel foolish for worrying about nothing?

Its just walking, eating, sleeping. No big deal

BuckeyeBill
07-29-2017, 03:57
Sounds to me Suzzz like you learned a lot about some gear and yourself. Congrats on your first of many section hikes and then the big thru hike.

Maineiac64
07-29-2017, 06:43
Nice! Glad you had fun.

MtDoraDave
07-29-2017, 06:45
Congratulations on your first section hike!
I wish I would have known about whiteblaze before mine [emoji14]
The knowledge and experience that is so freefully given or shared here is awesome

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Suzzz
07-29-2017, 09:33
Sounds to me Suzzz like you learned a lot about some gear and yourself. Congrats on your first of many section hikes and then the big thru hike.
Not sure if I have it in me to live out of a backpack for 6 months but you never know, it might happen one day. For now however, family and work are my priority so I'll stick to section hikes.

cdk4091
07-29-2017, 10:26
ATTA-GIRL! Suzzz!