PDA

View Full Version : My first backpacking tent! Vargo stove, fatwood, and hiking action!

The_John_Muir_Way
07-28-2017, 22:15
I usually car camp and bring really heavy gear with me, but this summer I decided to venture deeper into the woods and try to see what lies beyond the road. At 5 lbs this tent isn't considered "ultra light" by any means. Next time I'm going to leave the tent pegs and tent footprint at home to save space.

In the video, we backpacked to a place in Southern California called Little Jimmy Campground. The only water came from a natural spring! We found fatwood, the Sikly BigBoy made sawing firewood really easy. I also tested out a Vargo Titanium stove with mixed results.

What I really like about this tent is that it's relatively light, waterproof to a high rating, and lots of ventilation. The rain fly goes all the way down and helps keep the wind out, big plus for me since I get cold easy. Only negative for me is that there's only one door so it's hard not to disturb your tent mate.

For me, it's the perfect size for my me and my girlfriend. I like keeping my gear inside the tent and leave our boots in the vestibule right outside the front door.

If anybody is interested here's the video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HvFpRS2cPQ

Maineiac64
07-29-2017, 15:57
Hi JMW, thanks for taking time to review, I have not heard of this brand. 5lbs+ for a 3 person tent is pretty heavy these days but for <$200 not too bad especially if you are hiking with someone and splitting the weight. A big Agnes fly creek will be a couple of pounds lighter but more expensive. Many in the hikiing community will spend more to save even a couple of ounces in tents, sleeping bags, packs, and pads. you are in some beautiful country out there, enjoy it.

The_John_Muir_Way
07-30-2017, 18:11
Hi JMW, thanks for taking time to review, I have not heard of this brand. 5lbs+ for a 3 person tent is pretty heavy these days but for <$200 not too bad especially if you are hiking with someone and splitting the weight. A big Agnes fly creek will be a couple of pounds lighter but more expensive. Many in the hikiing community will spend more to save even a couple of ounces in tents, sleeping bags, packs, and pads. you are in some beautiful country out there, enjoy it.

@Maineiac64 Thanks for the comment brother! I've been hearing a lot of good things about the FLY CREEK. I'll need to scour REI's garage sale and get one. Backpacking with elevation gains is tough for me, I guess I'm really unfit. So, I'll have to open my wallet and get lighter gear. I think my next investment will be a Z Packs pack.

I never knew how much saving every ounce would help lol.

Thanks for the suggestions and comment! I really appreciate it.

saltysack
08-03-2017, 15:24
@Maineiac64 Thanks for the comment brother! I've been hearing a lot of good things about the FLY CREEK. I'll need to scour REI's garage sale and get one. Backpacking with elevation gains is tough for me, I guess I'm really unfit. So, I'll have to open my wallet and get lighter gear. I think my next investment will be a Z Packs pack.

I never knew how much saving every ounce would help lol.

Thanks for the suggestions and comment! I really appreciate it.

I'd buy lighter gear before you buy an ultralight pack! Could start with that zippo lighter![emoji51]I hadn't seen one of those in years...good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_John_Muir_Way
08-04-2017, 18:55
I'd buy lighter gear before you buy an ultralight pack! Could start with that zippo lighter![emoji51]I hadn't seen one of those in years...good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL i just realized the error in my thinking! lol. doesn't make sense to have heavy gear and put in in an ultralight pack!

Thanks for commenting brother! Yeah the Zippo needs to go!

TTT
08-04-2017, 19:07
Was this the 700 or 1L Vargo Titanium stove?

TTT
08-04-2017, 19:16
Disregard the above question. I was thinking of the Vargo titanium pot/water bottle