PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Vapor Suspension/Frame Stiffener

Deadeye
07-29-2017, 00:07
If you have one of the Granite Gear packs that use any of the versions of their Vapor suspension system, you know that the packs are comfy, but the frame sheet they use is very soft. If, like me, you find it too soft, I found a quick, easy, and cheap way to stiffen it. The pictures explain it pretty well, but here's all I did:

parts & tools needed: 2 graphite arrow shafts, 4" zip ties, 3/32" drill bit, masking tape, beer (optional but recommended), all available at WalMart, total cost under $10

1) lay the frame sheet flat on a piece of plywood
2) trim the arrow shafts to length, tape them to the frame sheet, tapered from bottom to top
3) drill holes right next to the shafts on both sides, wherever there's enough solid plastic - I drilled 7 for each shaft
4) use the zip ties to tightly bind the shafts to the sheet
5) trim the tie ends, and stick the framesheet back in the pack, smooth side facing your back, shaft side towards the inside of the pack
6) finish the beer, mission accomplished!

This hack added less than 2 ounces to the pack, and made the "frame" far more supportive - it doesn't collapse under a load of water for a dry camp. There are other ways to stiffen the pack, such as the air frame or a rolled pad, but I like this option. Hope it works for you!

DownEaster
07-29-2017, 01:50
Interesting, but I don't think this would work very well for my Crown 2. The frame sheet is quite a bit more complex than the one you show; it has an "S" curve that follows the contour of my spine. Stiffening it would also make it flat rather than contoured.

Deadeye
07-29-2017, 07:55
Interesting, but I don't think this would work very well for my Crown 2. The frame sheet is quite a bit more complex than the one you show; it has an "S" curve that follows the contour of my spine. Stiffening it would also make it flat rather than contoured.

Probably right. The Crown 2 has some channels that, at least by appearances, might make it stiffer anyhow, and it has a whole lot more holes. This hack works for my Crown 60, Vapor Trail, and Latitude Vapor. The arrow shafts have quite a bit of flex to them, but yes, it's a flat mod.

rafe
07-29-2017, 09:44
Nice. I may try this some day. I've never messed with the frame sheet of my VT.

Dogwood
07-29-2017, 10:06
Nice hack. Happy it worked for you.

FWIW, I have a suspicion the GG Vapor Trail was designed to offer a slight curve against the back to possibly allow for some air flow. This seems to me much the same goal as several other packs.

What I would have liked to have seen in the Vapor Trail was a mesh shovel pocket for holding up to 4 L water low to the center of gravity on the pack. That seemed to me to account for the suspension sag if for instance I stored a filled 3L Platypus strapped to the top. Where do you store water? Is it in a side pocket?

Deadeye
07-31-2017, 11:40
This hack works for my Crown 60, Vapor Trail, and Latitude Vapor.

I spoke too soon, the Vapor Trail and Lat. Vapor both have the same soft frame sheet, but it's sewn in and not removable like the Crown 60. I went downstairs to start work on the Lat. Vapor and had an oh carp moment. The desire to make it work and knowing the sheet was the same did not translate into practicality.