PDA

View Full Version : zpacks Hexamid Solo tent vs Duplex tent

blw2
07-30-2017, 07:19
Any comments comparing these two shelters?

I've been leaning towards getting a Duplex for a while now (or maybe their Solplex)
as an effort to seriously reduce my load from my REI half dome tent

but I'm curious about the hexamid. That screen floor idea seems odd....
Duplex probably makes more sense, in case one of my kids wants to come along I could probably squeeze them in.....but more so for the extra space in there for stuff....
but this is an exercise for me in reducing weight.....

Maineiac64
07-30-2017, 09:03
I have a friend with a hexamind and she really likes it. You can add a bathtub floor to it, which I would do. IMO, a duplex is a incredible option in terms of weight, living space, functionality, and versatility. For an extra couple of ounces it seems well worth it. I like the camo version for better privacy and a little more durable fabric.

soumodeler
07-30-2017, 09:22
Duplex for sure. It's great for one, usable for two. Weight difference is worth it in my opinion.

The base fabric weight is plenty strong, as long as you don't abuse it. The privacy "issue" has been debated to death.

blw2
07-30-2017, 10:29
ha ha...yeah, i actually even started a thread asking about that privacy thing a while back. This is only a side note and not really a priority question for me.....but while beat to death as you put it, you know I never have really seen an answer to my question. Well not totally true, written answers, but I have yet to see (photo or video) of how "private" the things are at night with a light on inside.

While I like some of the benefits for the camo, I for some reason just don't care for it. I grew up hunting, and although I haven't hunted in years I'm not opposed to it or anything....and I'm very pro-military too.... so it's not that I'm against camo for some political reasons, it's just not what I want in a tent. I do like the idea of something a bit less obvious in the woods though and wish that they had some other color options for less obvious visual 'impact'.

Anyway, thanks....

Funny thing when I do a youtube search for the hexamid tent, there are many but what I'm finding are all at least a couple years old. Seems like they may not be very popular..... but for a lightweight option it seems like it "might" be good when compared against the solplex (as a more apples to apples comparison than the duplex is)

TTT
07-30-2017, 10:37
There are frosted glass sprays available that might adhere to the cuben fiber inside the tent if privacy is an issue

soumodeler
07-30-2017, 13:29
The hexamid is an older model, while the Duplex and solplex are newer.

cmoulder
07-31-2017, 10:08
Duplex for sure. Extremely flexible option, and very nice to have that total flow-thru ventilation when it's hot and buggy.

And the whole "privacy" issue is IMO astronomically overblown. Unless you do the whole sponge bath backlight show like the one in the Seinfeld episode, lol.

JC13
07-31-2017, 10:23
I was planning to go with the spruce green myself(once I actually decide to pony up the cash). It is a bit more durable as it is heavier and supposedly less transparent. 21oz vs 23-24oz if I recall correctly.

I have the same feelings on the camo, just not what I want in a tent. It automatically makes me think redneck.

saltysack
08-01-2017, 07:39
I was planning to go with the spruce green myself(once I actually decide to pony up the cash). It is a bit more durable as it is heavier and supposedly less transparent. 21oz vs 23-24oz if I recall correctly.

I have the same feelings on the camo, just not what I want in a tent. It automatically makes me think redneck.

That would be the Dale Earnhardt edition....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
08-01-2017, 07:51
I have a friend who has the camo and if you're into stealth it is quite effective... virtually disappears when pitched a very short distance into the woods.

But that's not my thing... I have the .51 "olive" green (although I've never seen an olive that shade!) and it has proven durable enough for me. For a couple of years I also used the Pocket Tarp .34 and if used with care it is a viable option, though definitely not the choice for relentlessly windy places. Darwinian selection has chosen the Trail Star for that purpose.

blw2
08-01-2017, 21:08
zpacks olive is that "silver" shade, right? Looks silver in most of the photos anyway

You story of the camo and stealth camping brings up a point that doesn't seem to get much mention. Kindof leave no trace related..... and that is minimizing the visual impact for other hikers in the area...
Imagine first the most beautiful mountain lake scene you can....
now put a nice bright blue, or neon orange tent over on the opposite shore
now replace that tent with a camo one....

That is really the only reason while camo is somewhat appealing to me. Still, it's just not what I want.....

So how true are those photos of teh zpacks olive color? Is it really that shiny and silver? That's the color I'm leaning towards.... but I don't something to "loud"

jgillam
08-01-2017, 21:26
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170802/84282b3a20e8c27530025462b9a63da0.jpg

The spruce green is very nice and doesn't stand out.

blw2
08-01-2017, 22:10
yes, that spruce is nice.
Looking at pics again, maybe I should have described it as looking shiny white, not silver really. Is that olive color really that white?

Dogwood
08-01-2017, 22:22
Holy trip wire hazard Batman.

Reminds me of Catherine Zeta Jones stealthily making her way through the security lasers in Entrapment .

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/08AV-OrUDvs/maxresdefault.jpg

blw2
08-02-2017, 07:16
ha ha, you've been on the trail too long if the spruce green tent reminded you of that:D

hey....wait, I see it now.... you're right!

cmoulder
08-02-2017, 07:32
zpacks olive is that "silver" shade, right? Looks silver in most of the photos anyway

Yep, in bright light it hardly looks green at all, more slivery/grey. In subdued, overcast light it definitely has a green tint but still nowhere near "olive" in my book.

Whatever, it doesn't matter to me but if someone is a stickler about the color it might be an issue.

I have a HMG Echo tarp in the spruce green and it definitely looks green all the time. :)

Maineiac64
08-02-2017, 10:21
I have the camo duplex, the overall color on mine is quite dark, the contrast between colors isn't dramatic. It doesn't look like the picture on the zpacks web-site which seems much lighter in color.

Calvin N
08-19-2017, 11:27
I have the olive drab. Last time I hiked, a full moon was out and it was a bit bright inside the tent.
If you can't sleep under bright conditions, maybe a thicker cuben or a double wall tent will work.

Engine
08-20-2017, 07:37
Duplex...hands down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk