PDA

View Full Version : Pack weight help

Sparky!
02-03-2003, 20:08
I finally weighed all my gear that I would bring on a thru hike if I left tomorrow. I am not looking at going ultra light but I would like to get down to 35 lbs pack weight at the max. With that said I would like to trim 6 to 8 lbs off of this list Two areas I know I am going to go lighter is the 1) Tent 2) Head lamp. I am also considering leaving behind my Sandman Sleeping bag and going with a down quilt that Raginghampster is talking about. ANY suggestions on how to lighten this load let me have it... But be nice ;)

Thanks,

Sparky!

Equipment Qty oz-each total oz
4 liter platypus 1 2.7 2.7
4 xtra AA batteries 1 3.4 3.4
Blaclava 1 1.6 1.6
Camel Bak hydration sys 1 5 5.0
Camera - Digital 1 14.1 14.1
Compass 1 0.8 0.8
Duo fold shirt 1 6.4 6.4
Fleece 1 16.3 16.3
Food (3 days worth) 3 32 96.0
Gloves 1 3.4 3.4
hygene kit 1 4.4 4.4
Kitchen extra (Spices/Soap) 1 6 6.0
Knife 1 3.3 3.3
Long underwear 1 15.8 15.8
Maps 2 1.5 3.0
Match Kit 1 2.2 2.2
Medical Kit 1 6.6 6.6
Nalgene bottle 1 5.7 5.7
Pack (Gregory Windriver) 1 112 112.0
Pack Cover 1 6.7 6.7
Pack towel 1 1.5 1.5
Pants 1 13.3 13.3
Petzl Zoom 1 10.5 10.5
Playing Cards 1 1.5 1.5
Pot - 1 liter 1 10.8 10.8
Pot grip 1 1.3 1.3
Rain Jacket (Lowe Alpine) 1 30.2 30.2
Rain pants (Campmor) 1 7.8 7.8
Repair Kit (Mcgiver kit) 1 1.4 1.4
Rope (30 ft) 1 2.5 2.5 Shorts 1 4.9 4.9
Silnet stuff sacks 3 1.1 3.3
Sleeping Bag 15 degree 1 64.5 64.5
Sock Liner 2 0.8 1.6
Socks 2 4 8.0
Spork 1 0.3 0.3
Stocking cap 1 2.4 2.4
Stove+bottle+fuel 1 32.6 32.6
Tent 1 67.7 67.7
Water ( 2 liters ) 1 38 38.0
Sleeping Pad/kit 1 32 32.0
Water filter (MSR) 1 16.2 16.2
TOTAL 667.7

Happy
02-03-2003, 20:36
I would reconsider your cooking pot, Rain Jacket, Stove, Sleeping Pad and Water Filter. Why not consider a Wal-Mart Grease Pot at 4.1 oz, a Marmot Pre-cip Jacket at 13.1 oz, alcohol stove, pot support , windscreen & 4 oz of fuel at 8.6 oz, and Z-rest (10.9oz) or 3/4 Ultra-lite pad(16oz) and Aqua Mira(3 oz) instead of filter ?

Sparky!
02-03-2003, 20:58
One of my concerns is about being warm when I get to the shelter. I know that as soon as I get there I can crawl into my bag... but I am one who cools off fast. I was thinking of using my long underwear top, fleece and rain coat to keep me warm instead of my down jacket.... Am I off base on this?

I am looking at the brasslite... Seen a lot of good things on it and a lot of detail on Sgt Rocks site... Something I might swing over to. On the Aqua mira, how long does it last and how available is it in town stops?

Sparky!

Happy
02-03-2003, 21:34
Assuming you are using 200 wt. fleece and depending on WHEN you are leaving, you should be OK with the long underware, fleece and rain jacket....if not, into the bag. How much does the down jacket weight?...my WM down jacket is 11.0 oz. in size large.

The Aqua Mira is readly available and if worried put in bouncebox.

You are right, you will save the most weight, with replacing the bag, tent, and headlamp!

I would also reconsider the knife, Nalgene bottle and pack cover.
You could go with a swiss classic >.07 oz., soda bottle>1 oz., and a pack cover > 2.7-3.7 oz. max.

DebW
02-03-2003, 22:07
Carry lithium batteries instead of alkaline batteries. They are very much lighter and last very much longer. You might put the spares in a bounce box if you have some other backup like a keychain light. Why carry both a Platypus and Camelback? You can use either as a hydration system if you get the correct hose. A 3 liter Platypus Big Zip can be both a hydration system and a watersack for hauling water into camp. 6 oz seem like alot for spices and soap. Either a small 2 oz bottle of campsuds or a small piece cut off a bar of soap should handle all your need for soap.

Trail Yeti
02-04-2003, 00:48
Some of these things others have already covered, so if I am repeating someone sorry...
batteries- you don't need to carry extra batteries...put them in your bounce box
knife-get a leatherman micra or a small swiss army...that's all the knife you need
med kit- what's in it? anything more than some neosporin moleskin and ibuprofen and maybe a small gauze pad? if so ditch it.
headlamp- recommend a blackdiamond ion (all you need) or a princeton tek aurora...
rain jacket-get a Marmot precip...or if you don't want to spend the money buy red ledge...its about 30 bucks cheaper
rain pants- either ditch the rain pants or the regular pants, you don' need both
camel back and platypus-get a hose attachment for the platypus and ditch the camelback
stove- alcohol!!!!
shorts-ditch the shorts WEAR A KILT!
gloves- the best thing for gloves is a light liner and some kind of shell....your hands will get hot hiking in big gloves

I assume you don't want to buy another pack...that would shave a lot of weight.
Definately ditch the tent and go for lighter shelter.

sli74
02-04-2003, 00:54
You can cut weight a number of ways depending on how much money you want to spend. Start with looking for lighter tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, headlamp and water containers. You can get a 2-3 pound tent, a 3 pound sleeping bag, 1 pound sleeping pad, 3 oz headlamp and just carry 1 nalgene and a empty gatorade bottle or soda bottle. If you have a bunch of money to spend (not that any of us really does :) ) you can consider the Nunatak Raku (might be spelled wrong) which will work as a sleeping bag and warm camp clothing/jacket all in one. Good luck. :)

Sparky!
02-04-2003, 12:48
I have to admit, I don't have a lot of money to buy new gear. I went with the thought of buying the best gear I could afford at the time I needed it.

So here is what I understand...

1) look for a 2 - 3lb sleeping bag ( savings 1 lb)
Any suggestion for one that has plenty of shoulder room? I toss and turn.. thus I need something that I don't feel confined in and why I NEED a tent!
2) New headlamp ( .5 lbs )
3) Nalgene replaced and Camelbak gone ( .5lbs)
4) New tent ( 2 lbs)
5) New rain jacket ( 1 lb )
6) Trim Medical kit (.25lb)
7) leave out the Town pants ( 1 lb)
8) Switch to Alcohol stove (1.5 lb)
*( I am looking at the brass light but wondering about a soda can stove... how reliable are they?)

Total savings: 7.75 lbs
Possible pack weight would be a respectable 34lbs...
This was worth weighing all my gear and weeding through it! Thanks! Any more suggestions?

Specific notes:

I have to keep the filter because I was out once and took a swig of water and ended up with a mouth full of leaves and other things I have no idea what they were... I vowed .. NEVER AGAIN!

Got to keep the Guidelite... I sleep like a baby on that thing....I would rather lug it rested than a lighter one tired.

I am looking at a new pack though... It will be a Gregory that is for sure. I seen on that was 2lbs lighter and they are coming out with one that is about 3lbs. I wonder if I brought in all my gear if they would let me try to fit it in the new packs? Hmmmm I will have to ask them that this weekend.

As a knife goes, Leatherman just came out with a 2 oz mini knife called the squirt. I might get that as well.

HAPPY: I should be leaving Mid March to the last week in March in 2005, what do you think about the clothes... warm enough?

Thanks a lot!

Sparky!:D

Blue Jay
02-04-2003, 13:39
You could lighten your hygene kit to just toothbrush, film canister of tooth powder, floss (also good for repairs) and some Dr. Bonners. What is a Match Kit? If it's more than a lighter or two lose it.

Sparky!
02-04-2003, 14:54
My hygene kit consists of a tooth brush, travel size toothpaste, hand washing goo ( perel?) and about 3 feet of dental floss.

I am triming down my match kit. That WAS a fire starter, two boxes of matches. I am just going to go with a see through lighter and that should be all I need. Someone emailed me off list and said ditch the fire starter... that is what your fuel and TP is for!

Sparky!

Happy
02-05-2003, 09:00
The weather is impossible to predict in Georgia during March, as the changes can go from summer type weather to snow within days.

March is normally a heavy rainfall month also. After around March 15th, most people believe that we have passed the point of any heavy snow or extreme low tempertures. But, it will still be very cool and possibly windy.

You will be fine while hiking...I wear only a long sleeve Zip-tee and a Marmot windshirt unless it is heavy rain/snow. I only wear mid weight tights and shorts and with any increase in temperture the tights come off. You can add your rain suit during cold breaks or stops on exposed windy areas.

You will need lightweight fleece or down jacket, etc for nights as it is cool to cold. It seems like you are prepared for the hike...Good Luck !

Sparky!
02-05-2003, 15:35
Thanks Happy... I plan on taking a run here in two weeks with some of my gear. It will be a little nippy since it will still be in February and in Pennsylvania ... I will be out for three nights and I am going to give a try of what I plan on bringing... finners crossed!

Sparky!

Sparky!
02-05-2003, 21:35
I just put together the price tag to change out my gear.... ( swallowing HARD ) $625!!!!!

That is the bad news... the good news is that I have $335 already saved for the tent and already bought the head lamp today , so I need to come up with $256.... here in the next 18 months, doable if I continue to save my loose change.

What I plan on getting a new rain coat ( Red ledge $56 ), new tent ( Nomad 242, $335, I already saved the money for this ), New Sleeping bag ( $200, have not decided but that is my MAX price range and max 3 lbs) and a new head lamp ( Aurora $33 already bought)... that does not include possibly a new pack which I know will run me about $250. Thank the man upstairs I can make my own alcohol stove!!!!

With these changes, I calculate that my pack weight will be roughly 35 1/2 lbs. If I get a lighter pack it could be down to 33lbs.

Be looking on ebay for some well cared for HEAVY gear! LOL
Thanks a million for all your help, suggestions and humerous ways to make me look at my gear twice...

Sparky!
:D

sli74
02-06-2003, 02:08
Well here are a couple of other suggestions, they may or may not help . . .
I think the TNF Cat's Meow Polyguard Delta is under $200, try campmor.com or REI.com, it frequently comes on sale and you can also keep your eyes open for this bag on ebay. I have the older version of this bag with the 3D fill and it is slightly heavier than the delta version but has given me 7+ years of GREAT service.
As far as the raincoat, this is a personal preference of mine and won't work for everyone but I use a large lightweight poncho, it weighs a couple of ounces costs under $2 and covers both me and my pack. I also hike in quick dry clothes and get changed ASAP when I get into camp so getting a little damp doesn't bother me. Once you get into camp you can also use the poncho as a temporary tarp for a cooking area using your tent guylines or your foodbag rope. As far as the backpack, try this website, they tend to have great deals on high end gear, it is called www.northernmountain.com
Good Luck, it looks like you've made some very helpful changes. :)

Dirtyoldman
02-06-2003, 05:25
well before you start your gear buying spree.....

hennessy hammock, 130.00 - weight 28 oz
thruhiker.com sells down blanket kits for about 150 i think
moonbow sells their gearskin at about 125.

pepsi stoves have no moving parts and can be made on the trail so I would consider them easily replaced. (any metal cup will do the job in a pinch)

consider also a tarp if your not into tree swinging, practice in back yard first before you try it in the feild tho...see also sgt rocks sil nylon poncho/tarp

raging hampster I believe is using just the prefilter and pump potion of his filter and the treating with aqua mira.

SGT Rock
02-06-2003, 06:44
Originally posted by Sparky!
Equipment Qty oz-each total oz
4 liter platypus 1 2.7 2.7

I assume this is still with a hose. Get rid of the hose. I've got a 3 liter Platy that only weighs 1.5 and is plenty with my 1 liter soda bottle.

4 xtra AA batteries 1 3.4 3.4

Why 4? Carry 2 Lithiums. It would weigh about 1 ounce.

Blaclava 1 1.6 1.6
Camel Bak hydration sys 1 5 5.0

A Camal Bak and a platy? Overkill. Loose it.

Camera - Digital 1 14.1 14.1

Just my humble opinion, but since digitals are power hogs and heavy, I would stick to 35mm for a long trip. Maybe one that can date/time stamp on the image if there is such a thing. You could probably get down to about 7 ounces.

Compass 1 0.8 0.8
Duo fold shirt 1 6.4 6.4
Fleece 1 16.3 16.3
Food (3 days worth) 3 32 96.0
Gloves 1 3.4 3.4
hygene kit 1 4.4 4.4
Kitchen extra (Spices/Soap) 1 6 6.0
Knife 1 3.3 3.3

Sounds like more knife than you need. Letherman Micra is great and weighs 1/2 that, there are even lighter 1 bladed knives that can do the job.

Long underwear 1 15.8 15.8
Maps 2 1.5 3.0
Match Kit 1 2.2 2.2
Medical Kit 1 6.6 6.6
Nalgene bottle 1 5.7 5.7

A 4 liter playty, a Camel Bak, and a Nalgene? Way too much. Get a 3 liter bladder, a 1 liter soda bottle, and an insulated cup - or better yet make a Lemonade container cup. Instead of the 13.4 ounces you are carrying, you can cut it down to about 5.2 ounces.

Pack (Gregory Windriver) 1 112 112.0

A lot of weight can come off for your pack, 7 pounds - WOW!. You can get a Gearskin which will still haul big loads for about 22-32 ounces depending on options.

Pack Cover 1 6.7 6.7
Pack towel 1 1.5 1.5
Pants 1 13.3 13.3

I've seen shorts and a shirt on the list, I'm assuming those are in your pack. I've also seen rain pants. If this is all in there, You may be over packing. Loose the pants and use the rain pants if you need pants.

Petzl Zoom 1 10.5 10.5

Unless you plan some heavy night hiking, this is overkill. Get an LED that weighs about 0.4 ounces.

Playing Cards 1 1.5 1.5
Pot - 1 liter 1 10.8 10.8

You could get a Grease pot or a Snow Peak titanum pot that weighs about 1/2 that.

Pot grip 1 1.3 1.3

Loose the grip and get a bandana

Rain Jacket (Lowe Alpine) 1 30.2 30.2

Look at the Redlesge Thunderlight jackets at abut 1/2 that weight.

Rain pants (Campmor) 1 7.8 7.8
Repair Kit (Mcgiver kit) 1 1.4 1.4
Rope (30 ft) 1 2.5 2.5 Shorts 1 4.9 4.9
Silnet stuff sacks 3 1.1 3.3
Sleeping Bag 15 degree 1 64.5 64.5

Another place for huge savings. There are a lot of choices, Just as a general rule, try to stay at or below 2 pounds.

Sock Liner 2 0.8 1.6
Socks 2 4 8.0
Spork 1 0.3 0.3
Stocking cap 1 2.4 2.4
Stove+bottle+fuel 1 32.6 32.6

Go alcohol. You can save AT LEAST 1/2 that weight.

Tent 1 67.7 67.7

Another ouch! I prefer a hammock, but if you don't at least look for a shelter under 2 pounds. Tarps, solo tents, etc. Again, I have to reccomend a hammock :D

Water ( 2 liters ) 1 38 38.0
Sleeping Pad/kit 1 32 32.0

If you go hammock, then a pad system may still weigh this, but if you are sleeping on the ground, you may be able to at least 1/2 this.

Water filter (MSR) 1 16.2 16.2

Loose the filter and go to Polar Pure or Aqua Mira - 4 ounces at the most.

TOTAL 667.7

My reccomendations would weigh about 16.5 pounds less than your packing list.

Bianchi Veloce
02-06-2003, 09:43
If you are in the market for a North Face Cat's Meow sleeping bag, mountainsports.com has them for sale right now for $135 (regular) and $145 (long). No shipping charge for orders over $50 and no sales tax unless you live in Texas. I ordered a regular size one on Monday (2-3-03).

Haiku
02-06-2003, 10:50
This could also go in the "Gear for Sale" forum, but I have a Cat's Meow that I'd like to get ride of. It's been used only 7 times before I decided to go with a down bag instead. Drop me a PM or email to [email protected] if you're interested.

Haiku.

Trail Yeti
02-07-2003, 16:55
Sparky, If you are looking for a down bag, Marmot Arroyo is an excellent choice. The other good thing about it is they are on sale all the time at certain outfitters. I bought mine from REI outlet.com and got it for like 160 bucks!

Sparky!
02-08-2003, 16:09
I am looking for a bag that had a lot of shoulder room. The my first bag I felt like I was strapped in. Thus I went with the sandman... but at 4lbs I NEED a lighter bag. How is yours with "wiggle room"?

Virginian
02-08-2003, 23:12
Sparky,
1. 30 ft Rope. is it 550 or para cord? If not get some.
2. Lose the compass
3.Combine hygene and med, all you need is small bottle of camp soap, tooth brush and paste, maybe clippers.advil and some duct tape/ blister pads
4.Lose the kitchen extras. Carry half a green scrubby
5.Keep the knife small and simple. I carried one of those plastic 7-11 ones for 700 miles
6. A good light rain jacket for me was the RedLedge($50.00)
But if you feel that there are things that you want to carry, then carry them. By looking at others and comparing notes on the trail, you will see what you need and what you dont.