PDA

View Full Version : Hyoh

zig-zag man
07-30-2017, 14:45
As I plan for my 2018 thru hike, I spend a lot of time thinking about the HYOH concept. I like the thought of hiking my own hike. To me, that means that if I want to stop and take a 5 minute break, I'll do just that. There are times where I may want to hike slowly, and other times where I may feel like I'm going to a fire. The thing is, I want to control that. I don't want to feel pressured to "keep up" or told to "slow down". I am an introvert. As such, as my wife says, I don't play well with others. I love all people for the first 5-10 minutes. Usually, in that amount of time, I can figure out whether this is someone I'm compatible with or not. I would love nothing more than to find a hiking partner that can accept another human being for what and who they are, but honestly, I'm not going to hold my breath. After all, as an introvert, I am, and always have been, my best everything. There's no malice implied in saying that, its just the way I've been all of my life. There are probably a bazillion millennials on here. As I get older, I realize that there is an ever-increasing gap between my understanding of things in life and the millennial mindset. I have 3 sons, 2 of which still live at home. When I was about 12 years old I began dreaming about the day I could leave home and never turn back. And at age 17, that's what I did. I joined the Army in 1972 and never looked back. My 2 sons that live here at home seem to have zero drive to move forward in life. I've lived these past 62 years, and would probably do most of it the same had I to do it over again. For as long as I can remember I've wanted to be able to say that I hiked the AT. Now, as I rapidly approach my golden (?) years, I'm having chance to do it. It will probably be difficult. Although my mind is young and willing, my body has slowed down a bit. So I will take my time on this adventure and enjoy the beauty of the wilderness. And if by some chance, I don't make it, it won't be because I didn't give it my all. I've watched hundreds of you tube videos. I listen attentively to what people have to say and the advice they give. I've nearly driven myself crazy researching the gear weight vs the cost of going lighter, as I'm sure many do. Yet I am so damned excited and can barely wait until next Spring to hit the trail. It's a spiritual thing for me. I want to be a better man because I get this opportunity to do such an incredible thing. I do worry sometimes that the invasion of hundreds, if not, thousands of people my junior will be out there partying it up as though an AT through hike is just another party venue. But even so, I am still looking forward to hiking my own hike. I just hope that that is still possible given the times and mindsets in which we live.

Sailing_Faith
07-30-2017, 15:10
H Y O H.... a concept so resonate for me that I have given away thousands of stickers with the acronym....

very best of luck to you on your hike. I might suggest you consider the projectoins you seem to have about others you will encounter, some of the things you have written (millennials being lazy or unmotivated, younger people seeing this As a party venue... etc) may be less then helpful to you in enjoying the amazing connections you can have on the trail.

HYOH, and understand that others will be doing the same.... it is also unlikely that anyone will be telling you to slow down.... at least I have never heard that advice. :)

CarlZ993
07-30-2017, 16:04
I've heard a comical alternative definition of HYOH: "Hike your own hike... but if you're doing it differently than me, you're doing it all wrong!" :)

Good luck on your trek next year.

tdoczi
07-30-2017, 17:26
it is also unlikely that anyone will be telling you to slow down.... at least I have never heard that advice. :)

lol you'll find it on this board and other hiking boards pretty much all the time.

while actually out hiking the fast ones are going too quickly to be bothered talking to the slowpokes long enough for them to say anything.

Puddlefish
07-30-2017, 17:43
I like the "HYOH, but don't make anyone else hike your hike" version.

There are a lot of competing ideals out there. The kids complain about the old men waking them up in the morning, the old men complain about the kids keeping them awake at night. Recognizing that neither group is entirely right or wrong, I just made a point of never retaliating. I just find a more remote site the following night. That's the great thing, you often have the choice of being as sociable, or unsociable as you choose on any given night. Spend one night around the campfire, spend the following night with five miles between yourself and the shelter, it's all up to you.

Make great mileage one day, spend an hour watching the hawks circle the following day. If someone's bragging about their miles, you can just smile and nod, secure in the knowledge that you watched more hawks per mile. No need to turn it into a competition.

I went into the hike firmly telling myself that I would not attempt to be the trail police. Hiking your own hike is often about letting someone else hike their hike, not about demanding your rights.

George
07-30-2017, 17:50
you will find that finding someone to hike with is more about often ending up at the same place - not continually the same pace

my observation is that unless 2 are intimate they do not walk together much

egilbe
07-30-2017, 18:45
HYOH is the AT equivalent of the South's "Bless his heart"

Maineiac64
07-31-2017, 14:13
HYOH is the AT equivalent of the South's "Bless his heart"
Down here "bless his heart" is said by a person who feels sorry about someone who does not really understand what is going on or is in an unfortunate situation through their own stupidity. It is said to be kind.

Another Kevin
07-31-2017, 14:24
Down here "bless his heart" is said by a person who feels sorry about someone who does not really understand what is going on or is in an unfortunate situation through their own stupidity. It is said to be kind.

Precisely. :)

Seatbelt
07-31-2017, 14:38
I am just a section hiker but I have tried it both ways and would say this about it: The most enjoyable times I personally had on a week or two hike was with no daily agenda or companion. I have enjoyed hiking with groups but not nearly as much as by myself, my own pace, how I feel today, etc. I wish you the best!!

Another Kevin
07-31-2017, 14:58
I am just a section hiker but I have tried it both ways and would say this about it: The most enjoyable times I personally had on a week or two hike was with no daily agenda or companion. I have enjoyed hiking with groups but not nearly as much as by myself, my own pace, how I feel today, etc. I wish you the best!!

I agree with everything in the above except for the word, 'just.' "I am a section hiker..." Don't belittle yourself.

Praha4
07-31-2017, 15:44
wow I like your story
we are same age so I can definitely relate
I could not wait to leave home first chance,
went in the Army in 1976
never had a chance to hike the AT in my younger years
military, then full time job, family, etc
did not get started on the AT until age 56
so we can't complain, we are still hiking

do either of your live-at-home sons have any interest in doing this hike with you?
would be an outstanding way to inspire them to do something besides 'stay at home'
just getting them on the trail for a section hike would maybe give them another outlook on some things

best of luck to you!

Praha4
07-31-2017, 15:46
I relate to your anxiety about hiking the AT
and HYOH and the 'party' groups

the AT is spread out enough you don't have to be stuck with those party groups
HYOH
you will meet other hikers on the trail that maybe have similar goals as you, hike at similar pace
and it can make the hike more enjoyable if you do meetup some other hikers who you can talk to at the end of each day
keep each other motivated on the bad days
and there will be bad days when you question why the heck you are out there
but having somebody else out there with you does help
shared misery is a motivational tool
on those bad days

anyways don't worry you'll be fine

Seatbelt
07-31-2017, 16:10
I agree with everything in the above except for the word, 'just.' "I am a section hiker..." Don't belittle yourself.
Thanks! Actually I was kinda playin with words due at least in part to another exhausting thread on the "just" topic.:)

lonehiker
07-31-2017, 17:09
Reference the party aspect: you control your interaction with all of that. Especially early on there are ample areas to tent just past each shelter. If a party attitude is happening, just keep walking a few minutes and you are away from it. Same goes for the feeds. I keep reading posts of people being called over to partake etc. Hell, just ignore them and keep walking. What do you care if they get butt-hurt...

MtDoraDave
07-31-2017, 20:28
Another section hiker chiming in:
One of the best aspects of the AT, to me, is the social aspect. I often go solo, but end up at camp in the evenings with some of the same people night aftet night.
Some leave camp earlier, some walk faster or slower, some take more time to smell the proverbial roses... It's all good. I enjoy hiking at my own pace during the day, and catching up with fellow hikers in the evenings.
I do bring ear plugs for noisy shelters - not just for snorers and crinkly sleeping pads, but if people are talking and having fun past MY bed time, I don't want to be the grumpy old guy who rains on their parade.
Only out for a week, I barely get to know these people, but thru hikers really get to know each other...so shushing someone late may be taken better...or you may know to hike on, or pitch your tent away from a known chatterbox.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Malto
07-31-2017, 20:35
It also means "I think you are bat $#|+ crazy but if you want to do that knock yourself out". As well as I want to do anything I want so go pound sand.