Big Meadows Wayside March 17
Big Meadows Campground March 24
Lewis Mountain Campstore April 14
Lewis Mountain Campground April 21
Dundo Campground April 14
Loft Mountain Wayside May 5
Loft Mountain Campstore May 19
Loft Mountain Campground May 19

Hot food is available at each of the Waysides, Skyland Resort and Big Meadows Lodge. Resupply available at the Campstores and Elkwallow and Big Meadows Waysides.

Alcohol and Coleman fuel will be sold by the ounce at the Big Meadows Service Station adjacent to the Big Meadows Wayside.

Web Breaker
SNP Ridgerunner

QHShowoman
02-02-2006, 09:46
I was in SNP a couple weekends ago. It's funny how it is totally empty during the winter, yet the views are better than any other time of year!

the goat
02-02-2006, 09:49
I was in SNP a couple weekends ago. It's funny how it is totally empty during the winter, yet the views are better than any other time of year!

ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh! (keep that on the D-L):D

Skyline
02-02-2006, 10:21
Thanx Web Breaker. This is the earliest I can recall BM Wayside opening in the past dozen or more years. It usually opens the same day as Skyland Lodge at the end of March or first of April. Good to know! It also seems the opening dates are more staggered this year, probably a good thing. I know ARAMARK has a new regional general manager--you think maybe it's part of his new policies?

Now, if they can just keep Skyline Drive open and passable during late winter/early Spring.

anneandbenhike
02-02-2006, 10:52
It would be nice if Aramark would sell denatured alcohol for stoves. All we could find in the park was HEET and had to travel a ways to get it. We were told at Loft Mt. Wayside by an Aramark employee "well, they are trying to get it. The thruhikers have been asking for it for FOUR years, but the powers that be say they need a 'policy' to make all the Aramark facilities dole it out the same way and all have to have it or none can have it." Ridiculous!!! A very kind camground host at Big Meadows took my husband to get at an in-park gas station about a mile away while I did the laundry.

jlb2012
02-02-2006, 11:04
Are the waysides/camping stores going to be open 7 days a week right from the start in the spring or are they only open on weekends for the first month as was seen in previous years?

BTW Web Breaker - good to see you around here and I'm looking forward to seeing you again this year in the park

jhedrick
02-02-2006, 17:00
Hog On Ice it's good to hear from you. I'll be watching for you in the South District working with your crosscut.

As far as operating hours, it appears that the facilities will be open 7 days a week from the initial opening. This is a change from last year and could be because of the new ARAMARK manager. Hopefully, some other things will change for the better.

The gas station at Big Meadows is the only place I know of that sells alcohol by the ounce. This was not well known last year and we will try to publicize it better this year.

Web Breaker
SNP Ridgerunner