PDA

View Full Version : Stream Crossings.... AT in Georgia

blw2
07-31-2017, 16:59
Are there any streams in the Southern sections, Georgia, say from Amicalola to Dicks Creek Gap...that require any thing more than dry foot rock hoping?

Another thread about shower camp shoes, and mention of dual purposing something also for fording creeks got me to wondering what I'll run into on that front when i finally get up there....

Emerson Bigills
07-31-2017, 17:24
The first time my feet got wet was crossing a brook in Conn. I think there had been a heavy rain the night before and it was running heavier than normal.

Most of the fording occurs in Maine. Not uncommon to have a couple brook or river fords almost every day during the last two to three weeks on the northern end. Depending upon the rainfall, they can really get your attention.

Dan Roper
07-31-2017, 18:11
There are bridges across any stream of size in Georgia: Stover Creek comes to mind. The biggest stream that isn't bridged (at least as of 2015) was Justus Creek. At very high water levels it could be an issue, just as anything at very high water levels can be. But most hikers won't get their feet wet walking through Georgia.

The AT crosses a number of rivers in North Carolina and Tennessee: Nantahala, Little Tennessee, Pigeon, Nolichucky, French Broad, Watauga. All crossings are bridges or dams. No getting feet wet. But small stream crossings are more frequent in NC and Tenn. At very high water there could be areas of concern. For instance, there is a high water route for Laurel Creek near Hampton, Tennessee.

I've done the trail from Spring to the Grayson Highlands. I've gotten my shoes wet - in thunderstorms and while walking across dewy meadows in the early morning. I've never gotten them wet while crossing a stream.

cneill13
07-31-2017, 20:00
Short answer. No

blw2
07-31-2017, 20:03
good to know, thanks everyone

soumodeler
07-31-2017, 21:02
You are much more likely to get your shoes wet after it rains and some sections of trail turn into creeks.

MtDoraDave
08-01-2017, 06:19
...and mud. After it rains, the mud remains for several days. Since it usually doesn't go "several days" between rains, there is usually mud. Sometimes it is more difficult to walk around it than just to walk through it.