PDA

View Full Version : First Extended night Hike Gear List

Stone1984
08-01-2017, 07:41
I am going on my first really long hike in September. Starting at the approach trail and going as far into NC as makes since.

Need help making sure I am accounting for everything.

https://lighterpack.com/r/eabgj7

There is my gear list for your viewing pleasure. Am I missing anything? To Heavy somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Venchka
08-01-2017, 09:28
Anything you forgot can be bought at Mountain Crossings.
Anything you don't need can be sent home at Mountain Crossings.
Bailing in NC makes sense at Franklin, NOC or Fontana Dam. Any further and you will need a permit from the NPS.
Good luck!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stone1984
08-01-2017, 10:21
Yea I have 10-11 days to hike, and want this to be an enjoyable hike. My girlfriend will be picking us up so it can be very flexible and I don't think I will make the decision on where to get off till day 5-6 at least

soumodeler
08-01-2017, 16:12
Start with 4 days of food from the Approach and you will be fine. It won't be cold, so as Venchka said, you can pick up anything you need from Neel Gap on day 4.

cmoulder
08-01-2017, 16:44
Rather than carry a 14 oz sleeping liner, maybe get a warmer sleeping bag.

2 pounds for a chair is kinda krazy but if you're willing to schlep it, what the hay?

You need 50 feet of duct tape?

OTOH, I'd carry at least 50 feet of 2mm or 2.2mm dyneema cord for a bear hang. (edit; Just saw you have the ZP bear bag setup)

I would definitely add a 150wt fleece jacket and beanie (in addition to the buff), and some sort of rain pants or rain skirt. It's cooler than you might imagine at higher elevations in September.

Stone1984
08-01-2017, 17:33
Rather than carry a 14 oz sleeping liner, maybe get a warmer sleeping bag.

2 pounds for a chair is kinda krazy but if you're willing to schlep it, what the hay?

You need 50 feet of duct tape?

OTOH, I'd carry at least 50 feet of 2mm or 2.2mm dyneema cord for a bear hang. (edit; Just saw you have the ZP bear bag setup)

I would definitely add a 150wt fleece jacket and beanie (in addition to the buff), and some sort of rain pants or rain skirt. It's cooler than you might imagine at higher elevations in September.

The Duct Tape is an estimation, I am not sure how much I am gonna put on my poles. I just know it can be very handy for multiple uses.

The Liner was to keep the quilt clean and also if its warmer weather I could sleep in just the liner. I am a hot sleeper and don't sleep well when I sweat.

I will add a beanie and a light jacket as well, I haven't thought of those yet its been so hot here.

One Half
08-01-2017, 17:49
9 feet of duct tape should be more than enough for anything. If it's not enough, you have bigger problems and should probably get off trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
08-01-2017, 19:29
Every year i replace the 4 ft of duct tape in my fak.
Usually, ive use d an inch or two to keep bandaid on a cut or such
A few times , tarp or pack hole patch for waterproofing

No way in hell you need 50'
Just enough to hold a large bandage in place if needed really

Mountain Wildman
08-01-2017, 23:05
I don't see why you would carry an 11 oz. daypack when you're already carrying a 55L pack but that's your call, Sawyer Squeeze and a 2 liter Evernew bladder totals 4.5 ounces instead of an 11 ounce Platypus system but you do have the Platy already so again, your call, I didn't notice an insulation layer like a fleece or a down jacket, You list your crocs as 1 ounce which I expect is an error since my size 12 crocs weighed over 10 ounces and as previously mentioned, 32 ounce camp chair may be a little much since shelters usually have a place to sit unless you are stealth camping on your whole trip, or if you need a chair with a back so you can recline to ease back pain which I can totally relate to.
Just my observations, HYOH!!!

Tipi Walter
08-01-2017, 23:16
I would take your shelter and sleep system and start using it every night if possible if you have a backyard. Set up the shelter and get used to sleeping outside every night on your sleeping pad---despite the current heat. September won't be much cooler anyway from SC to Georgia. Put up and take down the tent a couple dozen times before your trip. Get used to using your headlamp for night activities . . . like setting up camp in your backyard etc. Fire up the stove periodically for food prep before you head out.

Stone1984
08-02-2017, 06:02
I would take your shelter and sleep system and start using it every night if possible if you have a backyard. Set up the shelter and get used to sleeping outside every night on your sleeping pad---despite the current heat. September won't be much cooler anyway from SC to Georgia. Put up and take down the tent a couple dozen times before your trip. Get used to using your headlamp for night activities . . . like setting up camp in your backyard etc. Fire up the stove periodically for food prep before you head out.

I have done that once but agree I need to do that some more. I have used the stove for preparing food 4 times now but I am used to camping with a stove to make meals for overnighters. I really need some rain on a day I can set up the tent in the rain.

Stone1984
08-02-2017, 06:13
I don't see why you would carry an 11 oz. daypack when you're already carrying a 55L pack but that's your call, Sawyer Squeeze and a 2 liter Evernew bladder totals 4.5 ounces instead of an 11 ounce Platypus system but you do have the Platy already so again, your call, I didn't notice an insulation layer like a fleece or a down jacket, You list your crocs as 1 ounce which I expect is an error since my size 12 crocs weighed over 10 ounces and as previously mentioned, 32 ounce camp chair may be a little much since shelters usually have a place to sit unless you are stealth camping on your whole trip, or if you need a chair with a back so you can recline to ease back pain which I can totally relate to.
Just my observations, HYOH!!!

I guess that is an item I can drop easy, I just figured I might need one for the night or two were in town.

And I am kicking myself for the plat system. I got it on sale and I thought it was a good option. I don't really want to purchase another system now since I have spend a good portion of my funds on the tent.

And yes I corrected the croc error they are 13oz

And yes the chair I know is a bit much and I can drop some of the weight by taking it out of its packaging. I have a feeling I will be sending it back at neel gap. I use it often on my overnights but I understand I might be to heavy for a 10 day.

Stone1984
08-02-2017, 06:14
Ok I am gonna put 3-4 feet on each pole realistically speaking that should be enough.

cmoulder
08-02-2017, 07:04
Realistically speaking you will likely need about 1 square inch of it for repairing that Frogg Toggs raincoat. :sun

I used about 2 feet of it once to wrap my nephew's foot when he was developing a hot spot (soon-to-be-blister!) on his heel. Other than that, my 4-ft piece on one pole has not been used for several years.

In the very unlikely instance that you need to repair that Duplex, do yourself a favor and use the cuben repair tape (on the inside of the tent!) that Zpacks provided. I've seen repairs done with duct tape and they are simultaneously sad, heinous looking and ridiculously unnecessary.