PDA

View Full Version : MSR SideWinder 2 Bad Idea?

irritable_badger
02-02-2006, 12:12
I have an MSR Sidewinder 2 that I have carried for about three years on shorter (75-100 mile trips) and I love it, super durable and super cool in the summer with all the netting and great big vestibules. I always assumed it was a fairly small tent but after seeing what some forum users recommend, I feel like this may be too big/heavy for the AT. Total packed weight including tent, fly, footprint, poles and stakes is around 7 LBS. Is this too much; would I be better off spending the money for something like a Clip Flashlight or an MSR Zoid?

K-Man
02-02-2006, 12:53
IMO it is too heavy. Look into a tarp tent or a hammock which weigh around 2lbs. There is tons of info on this website. Search through the forums.

Fiddler
02-02-2006, 12:57
7 pounds is definitely too heavy for a thru. Get as light as you can afford. In any certain size and quality range generally the lighter tents are more expensive. I've got a (small for it's rated capacity) 3 person (for me and my grand-daughter) that weighs 5 pounds. Never been out over 2 weeks though. I will definitely get something in the 2-3 pound range for my thru. I don't care about hammocks, but for those that get along with hanging that would be a good alternative.

MisterSweetie
02-02-2006, 13:44
Too much is only what you're not willing to carry.

longshank
02-02-2006, 14:09
IMO it is too heavy. Look into a tarp tent or a hammock which weigh around 2lbs. There is tons of info on this website. Search through the forums.
Are you looking for shelter for just yourself or for two?

longshank
02-02-2006, 14:10
I have an MSR Sidewinder 2 that I have carried for about three years on shorter (75-100 mile trips) and I love it, super durable and super cool in the summer with all the netting and great big vestibules. I always assumed it was a fairly small tent but after seeing what some forum users recommend, I feel like this may be too big/heavy for the AT. Total packed weight including tent, fly, footprint, poles and stakes is around 7 LBS. Is this too much; would I be better off spending the money for something like a Clip Flashlight or an MSR Zoid?
I use a black diamond lightsabre bivvy, weighs about 1 lb and change....

irritable_badger
02-02-2006, 14:58
I'm doing the AT alone but someone usually goes with me, that's why I have the SideWinder 2. I don't need the space on the trail I guess.

snowhoe
02-02-2006, 17:06
I have the clip flashlite and I love this tent. LET THE BASHING BEGIN.

kyhipo
02-02-2006, 17:37
well 7pounds is heavy for long distant hiking,I would consider a tent under atleast 4pnds they have many bivy tents out their on the ebay ect ect:D ky