PDA

View Full Version : Darn toughs

BadWolf42
08-01-2017, 14:53
Everyone sings their praises, alow me to join the chorus. AWESOME! I expect them to last me forever. Super comfy and warm (wool). I'm now in the expensive process of replacing asl my socks with them.
If they made underwear and t-shirts I'd be sold too. Anyone have a real good company like Darn tough for undies?
I got some ice breakers but dont care gor them.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dogwood
08-01-2017, 16:54
I promise you DT's will will not last forever...just like anything humans make in the material world. They eventually wear in the Achilles heel or in seamed areas. They are one of the longest wearing socks I've come across though...which factors into a host of characteristics one might desire in a sock.

TTT
08-01-2017, 17:14
The trouble with soliciting advice on clothing is that you will eventually look like everyone else and have no uniqueness or style. For that reason alone I wear Saxx underwear and not that tacky Under Armour stuff that will assist you in your quest to buy expensive goodies ;)

Stone1984
08-01-2017, 17:37
I switched all my underwear out for ExOfficio after buying them for hiking. I have thought about doing the same with the socks.

Kaptainkriz
08-01-2017, 17:42
These silk boxers are fun: http://www.theunderwearguys.com/thai-silk-boxers-p-261.html?osCsid=fhdmsdked5vhhri9mh9uccr9f4

The trouble with soliciting advice on clothing is that you will eventually look like everyone else and have no uniqueness or style. For that reason alone I wear Saxx underwear and not that tacky Under Armour stuff that will assist you in your quest to buy expensive goodies ;)

Another Kevin
08-01-2017, 18:00
As far as the undies go, I most often hike in Champion C9 (the all-synthetic, not the 60%-cotton) from Target.

They wick well enough, they don't chafe too badly. They don't last as long as, say, Under Armor or Ex Officio, but when the elastic goes, I shed no tears and replace them. Mags agrees with me (https://pmags.com/gear-review-champion-c9-clothing-target).

I agree with the rest of the world about the Darn Tough socks.

Bansko
08-01-2017, 18:29
I switched all my underwear out for ExOfficio after buying them for hiking. I have thought about doing the same with the socks.
+1. After my sock purchases have been darn tough and all of my underwear purchases have been Ex-Officio. So, to answer the OP's question, IMHO Ex-Officio is the Darn Tough of underwear.

Bansko
08-01-2017, 18:31
I sure wish I could edit my posts. insert "my thru hike" between After and sock purchases.

Odd Man Out
08-01-2017, 19:52
You don't need many DT socks. I wear the same pair for a week or two while washing the other. They do wear out but have had a few replaced by their warrantee. But eventually I buy a pair.

As for underwear, I'm not as fond of my synthetics (including ExOfficio). I tried about 5 different pairs of merino wool boxer briefs. Ibex were the best by far, but very expensive.

Uncle Joe
08-01-2017, 20:26
Socks: Darn Tough. No brainer.
Undies: Either Ex-Officio's (or as my friend calls them: Man Panties) or UnderArmour.

DownEaster
08-01-2017, 21:23
Bought the Darn Tough socks. My hiking underwear is Reebok Performance Boxer Briefs (https://www.boscovs.com/shop/prod/reebok-performance-boxer-brief/473049.htm) w/ 5" inseams.

HighlandsHiker
08-02-2017, 10:03
I have a few pairs of DT socks and they are great. That said, I've recently been snapping-up pairs from Farm-to-Feet, particularly their "Damascus" 1/4 crew. 100% US made, all merino wool, and every bit as tough as DT's socks. FTF is NC-based/owned, and are big supporters of our mountain-to-sea trail, the AT, as well as other conservation and sustainability issues. The socks are great and I like that my $ stay local and support causes I endorse.

http://www.farmtofeet.com/

Rmcpeak
08-02-2017, 10:09
I wore a small hole in the heel of my first pair of DTs in about 200 miles. I like them enough that i bought another pair though, and I plan to send in the old pair for a replacement.

Venchka
08-02-2017, 11:18
The problem with socks is that there are about a zillion varieties from each manufacturer.
In Darn Tough socks I have 2 different ankle high and 3 different crew height.
The DT AT logo sock is a good middle of the road height and weight.
Wayne

Odd Man Out
08-02-2017, 15:01
The problem with socks is that there are about a zillion varieties from each manufacturer.
In Darn Tough socks I have 2 different ankle high and 3 different crew height.
The DT AT logo sock is a good middle of the road height and weight.
Wayne

I have the AT logo DT socks. They are the micro-crew cushion variety. "Micro crew" refers to the height. "Cusion" refers to the weight. That is my favorite height and weight combination for hiking. I got the "crew" height once by mistake. That is taller.

dudeijuststarted
08-02-2017, 15:10
Fredericks Of Hollywood or Victorias Secret. Just add body glide.

Venchka
08-02-2017, 16:58
I have the AT logo DT socks. They are the micro-crew cushion variety. "Micro crew" refers to the height. "Cusion" refers to the weight. That is my favorite height and weight combination for hiking. I got the "crew" height once by mistake. That is taller.

You're right. I have 3 weights of Micro Crew. The AT logo being the heaviest.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTT
08-02-2017, 17:15
If you want your feet to breathe and stay cool, try some Mohair socks

Uncle Joe
08-02-2017, 18:26
Fredericks Of Hollywood or Victorias Secret. Just add body glide.

Self-identify, do we? :D

Driver8
08-02-2017, 19:44
When I first bought DTs, didn't like the feel of them at all. But after most of last year off from hiking, getting back into it last Nov into this summer, my feet have come to like them.

Has anyone tried this, esp in winter? DTs as inner socks with another pair from another brand between them and the shoes? I'm thinking that would be a good combo.

blw2
08-02-2017, 20:07
I started wearing the DT crew light, not for hiking but for office and daily wear. Liked them so much I bought several more pair

Another Kevin
08-03-2017, 11:47
When I first bought DTs, didn't like the feel of them at all. But after most of last year off from hiking, getting back into it last Nov into this summer, my feet have come to like them.

Has anyone tried this, esp in winter? DTs as inner socks with another pair from another brand between them and the shoes? I'm thinking that would be a good combo.

I do the opposite. In deep winter, my layering on my feet is:

(1) The thinnest nylon or polyester dress socksthat I can find.
(2) A double layer of bread or newspaper bags to serve as a vapor barrier, anchored with rubber bands at the top. (A double layer never seems to tear. A single layer rips as soon as I start hiking.)
(3) Darn Toughs - maybe a heavier grade than I wear in summer
(4) Pac boots, and maybe over-the-calf gaiters if the conditions are really sloppy.

The idea there is that the socks and the pacs will be much warmer if they're free of condensation, so keep a vapor barrier between the feet and the socks. The liner socks get all clammy, but my feet get used to that. The liners are lightweight enough that for a 2-3 day trip (I don't generally go longer in winter), I can simply change into a fresh pair daily.

I carry separate dry socks for sleeping.

I know people who will wear Rocky Gore-Tex socks over Darn Toughs and then hike all winter long in trail runners. I get the impression that those people don't use snowshoes or crampons, since I don't see how I'd ever feel secure in my bindings with that sort of arrangement. To each his own.