PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days 2006 in Damascus

Preacher Dude
02-02-2006, 12:40
What are the dates for "Trail Days" this year? I'm planning a series of hikes and want to be sure and be in Damascus for it. I know its usually around the 2nd week in May, but can someone tell me the exact dates?

Lone Wolf
02-02-2006, 12:41
May 18-21.

K-Man
02-02-2006, 12:49
Which Day is the Hiker Parade?

Lone Wolf
02-02-2006, 12:51
Saturday early afternoon.

Preacher Dude
02-02-2006, 12:53
Thanks, Lone Wolf

dje97001
02-10-2006, 13:29
Do any thru-hikers actually walk into Damascus for Trail Days--or do most hitch back or forward to get there?

Footslogger
02-10-2006, 13:56
Do any thru-hikers actually walk into Damascus for Trail Days--or do most hitch back or forward to get there?
=======================================
I doubt anyone has the data to support a valid answer to your question. Depends a great deal on your start date at Springer and your pace. I guess you could base the number somewhat on "start date". On average it takes about 45 days to get from Springer to Damascus (your mileage may vary). I left Springer on March 29, 2003 and walked into Damascus on the Friday afternoon of Trail Days week. Truth be told though I could have gotten there a few days earlier. My wife was flying out to meet me in Damascus and hike for a month and she was arriving that Friday. So ...knowing that it would take me 3 - 4 days to get from Kincora to Damascus I hung out and helped Bob Peoples with a few projects around the hostel.

'Slogger

ARambler
02-10-2006, 14:44
It seems Trail Days is pretty late this year. I recommend planning to get to Damascus by then or at least to Kincora. Note, after Trail Days is Hardcore at Kincora, so if you get to Kincora, and ride with Bob to Damascus, you are actually as close as hikers in Damascus. I'd guess a significant number, like 1/3, hitch back. This is definitely worth it, because there is a huge crowd coming directly out of Damascus after trail days.

dje97001
02-10-2006, 14:55
If your estimate holds true slogger, leaving April 1st, we should get there on or a little before may 18. Hopefully it works out for us. It sounds like a good time. Thanks!

Footslogger
02-10-2006, 15:03
If your estimate holds true slogger, leaving April 1st, we should get there on or a little before may 18. Hopefully it works out for us. It sounds like a good time. Thanks!
=============================
Given your age(s) and my guess that your pace will be a tad more brisk than mine I think you'll make it in style ...and even over-hike Damascus by a bit. The good news is that getting a ride back to Damascus for Trail Days has never been overly difficult. Just keep in mind that last check-point "Kincora". If you want to hike into Damascus leisurly just allow yourself 4 days at that point. You'll easily walk into Damascus late morning or early afternoon of the 4th day (assuming that you stay at Abbingdon Gap shelter the night before Damascus)

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2006, 16:32
For whatever it's worth, most folks seem to make Damascus 40-43 days from Springer, give or take a few. (And remember, the last 40 miles in to town are a breeze).

Most hikers are a bit ahead at that point, and hitch back, from such places as Partnership Shelter, Bland, Pearisburg, or further down the line. Many others jump up from Erwin, Hot Springs, or elsewhere. It's easy to get a ride to Damascus, and even easier to find a ride to wherever you need to get back to.

dixicritter
02-10-2006, 16:38
L. Wolf, will everything be booked early as far as lodging goes again this year? I know dumb question, but I'm thinking about bringing the boys up this year like we promised them we would after missing last year. I even thought about getting a motel near the interstate if I have to. No definate plans yet, I'm still in the considering mode. :)

Lone Wolf
02-11-2006, 08:41
Everything is not booked but all the B&Bs or cottages require a 2-3 night minimum so you're looking at $200-$300 for you and the boys. My house is booked up. Of course the main campground is an option. Cost you $10 for the weekend with your vehicle.If you want to motel it there's 4 or 5 at exit 19, 10 miles from Damascus. I highly reccomend The Alpine Motel. Locally owned, not a chain. Phone 276-628-3178 for info.

neo
02-11-2006, 12:11
Neo, this is getting old.

so am i lol:cool: neo

smokymtnsteve
02-11-2006, 18:35
hillary clinton going to be there,she is an ultimate hottie:cool: neo

Hillary is going to be at TRAIL DAZE ..:sun ..

I;ll fly in from AK to see her :cool:

after a cold winter in AK being near a HOTTIE like Hillary would really warm U up!:banana

dixicritter
02-11-2006, 21:43
Everything is not booked but all the B&Bs or cottages require a 2-3 night minimum so you're looking at $200-$300 for you and the boys. My house is booked up. Of course the main campground is an option. Cost you $10 for the weekend with your vehicle.If you want to motel it there's 4 or 5 at exit 19, 10 miles from Damascus. I highly reccomend The Alpine Motel. Locally owned, not a chain. Phone 276-628-3178 for info.

Thanks L. Wolf that's probably what I'll do, stay in a motel at exit 19.

Chef
02-12-2006, 00:12
Hoping to make it down to trail daze this year. Went to the 2004 one and had an awesome weekend.

little bear
02-12-2006, 00:33
Do you have to make reservations for the camp ground or can you just show up. Where is the camp groung located? I have never been to trail days but have been hiking for a while and would like to go. What all goes on? Thanks

Happy Hikes

Little Bear

Chef
02-12-2006, 00:55
Well I think getting there thursday is pretty good. There are a few hostels in town, but those get filled up real fast. I think the best thing to do if you are looking for more of the party atmosphere is to camp in the field in town with all the other dirty hikers. It's free camping and a lot of the company reps are right around there. It's an awesome time.

Newb
02-13-2006, 10:17
What is the closest by God campground I can pull my Xterra into at Damascus. I want to be near the revelry.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2006, 10:20
Right where Chef described. You can park in the campground for $10 for the weekend.

Preacher Dude
02-13-2006, 20:38
I'll be in Damascus a couple of days before Trail Days. If anyone gets close and needs a ride into town ...give me a call....cell is 770-841-3185.

bigben
02-15-2006, 13:44
What are the driving directions from Neel's Gap to Damascus? I was planning on hiking the Approach Trail to Neel's Gap 5/13 thru 5/19, but may just skip the Approach Trail and finish my section hike a day early and drive to Trail Days and spend the night. It's "kinda" on the way back home to Cincinnati.

Bigben

napster
02-15-2006, 14:28
I've been to Damscus yet never attended traildays before. Is it like a hikers marti gras yet without all the dragshanking & mcqlusting ya have to worry about in La? I'd like to come this year but I'm concerned about the day they have the water drenching as my wife wears hearing aids and they can't get wet. Is there just one day of water sports or more and will it last all day?
Napster

Ridge
04-14-2006, 23:14
I've been to Damscus yet never attended traildays before. Is it like a hikers marti gras yet without all the dragshanking & mcqlusting ya have to worry about in La? ...........

I'd say it's more like HIKERS GONE WILD!

Undershaft
04-22-2006, 17:11
How fast does the "tent city" in town fill up? I plan to spend thursday night in a motel on I-81 in TN, and arrive in Damascus early friday morning. Will there still be space to set up my tent on friday?

Lone Wolf
04-22-2006, 20:17
How fast does the "tent city" in town fill up? I plan to spend thursday night in a motel on I-81 in TN, and arrive in Damascus early friday morning. Will there still be space to set up my tent on friday?
It doesn't fill up. You'll have plenty of space to camp.

Local
04-22-2006, 23:20
Relevant websites:

http://www.traildays.info/

http://www.damascus.org/

http://www.vacreepertrail.us/camping.html

As Wolf says, the best bet for single rooms is in Abingdon:

http://www.abingdon.com/VisitAbingdon/Lodging/tabid/74/Default.aspx

I have a list of cottages still available in the Damascus area. E-mail me and I will send it to you if you are interested: [email protected]

Lion King
04-23-2006, 11:04
Relevant websites:

http://www.traildays.info/

http://www.damascus.org/

http://www.vacreepertrail.us/camping.html

I have a list of cottages still available in the Damascus area. E-mail me and I will send it to you if you are interested: [email protected]

Hey Local, do you have pictures or info on the new Bingo center?
Its size, how many it will seat in the auditoriums, etc..

Will it hold as many as the Rock School? Last year we had to turn people away becasue of lack of room once it (RS) filled up.

Thanks again for putting me on the schedule, you guys did a GREAT job with the info and the site this year..the best it has looked!

LK

Local
04-23-2006, 11:28
Lion King, I'll take a photo of the bingo center today or tomorrow (Sunday or Monday 23/24) and put it on the Trail Days website. Wolf needs to verify this, but the Bingo Center is very large and can hold more than the school, in my opinion. I'll get rough dimensions. I'm not sure what contingencies plans exist for overcrowding and moving events to a larger space, but I'll check on this also.

Lone Wolf
04-23-2006, 15:10
Yup. It's a big mofo.

Lion King
04-23-2006, 16:11
Yup. It's a big mofo.

Thanks ya'll.

Hey man, Ive tried this a couple of times, I figure I will give it one more shot. My HT shirt is in tatters...completely...and I wanted to have one for the PCT hike...whats the word?

LK

Blissful
04-23-2006, 21:33
Relevant websites:

I just booked a room for three of us at the Super 8 for $53 online. We're only staying Friday night though.

Is there shuttles around to the various points? I thought I saw shuttle bus symbols on the map. (?)

Local
04-23-2006, 22:13
Hiker shuttles in Damascus:

Call Wolf at 276-475-3532,
or Mount Rogers Outfitters, 276-475-5416,
or Sundog Outfitters, 276-475-6252

http://www.damascus.org/athikers.html

There will be a shuttle service from the campground to the gazebo area and sometimes to the grocery store from around 9 a.m. until 11 p.m., all in the town limits of Damascus.