PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check- Mazatzals in August?

buff_jeff
08-01-2017, 23:13
I've been chipping away at the AZT for the past two years, and the opportunity for one last section this year has come up. I'm looking at Pine/HWY 87 (mile 328 SOBO) south to HWY 87 (mile 402 SOBO). The AZT website lists each of the passages (21-25) in this stretch as "all year," and it looks like the high temps in Payson aren't exceeding mid 80's right now. I also don't see any active wildfires in the area. Water looks thin, but I'm assuming there is water at the East Verde River / LF Ranch, and I'm comfortable carrying 8 liters for the remaining 50 miles if needed.

Long story short, I like to do my homework, and Arizona in August seems potentially ill-advised, especially for such a notoriously remote section. Given the above information, I feel pretty confident in my ability to cover these miles, but am I missing anything? Should I expect every 0 to 2 reliability water source to be bone dry?

Really appreciate any information on this section! Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

garlic08
08-02-2017, 08:54
Call one of the trail stewards listed for the area on the ATA website. That could be a difficult hike depending on brush conditions.

Weather conditions could change. It's generally cool across the region right now, I think.

Be sure you have a comprehensive map and plan for bail-out if your water situation gets dire. I have made the 50-mile water carries in that area--it's possible.

yaduck9
08-02-2017, 12:14
The Monsoon season has started and so far we have been getting rain fairly consistently, in that area. But the Monsoon is a finicky thing.

Here is an image taken on July 22nd at the base of the Mazazols looking east https://www.flickr.com/photos/yaduck9/36025542172/in/dateposted-public/

As you approach 4 peaks the highs will be low 100's but with luck it will be over cast.

Take Garlics advise and TT someone who has been in that area recently.

buff_jeff
08-02-2017, 22:41
Thank you Garlic and yaduck! According to the latest AZT newsletter, a huge restoration project has just been completed in the Mazatzals, so at least the trail should be in decent shape. My hiking partner has reached out to a few of the trail stewards in this area and we'll keep an eye on the weather. As of right now, we're going for it!