PDA

View Full Version : 55+ Triple Crown

Turk6177
08-02-2017, 10:00
Are there any modern era triple crowners who started hiking on the triple crown after the age of 55 years old? (AT, PCT, CDT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownEaster
08-02-2017, 10:34
I don't see why not. The biggest groups of through-hikers are those who are fresh out of school (18ish or 22ish) and those newly retired. I'm planning to get more enjoyment out of my retirement.

garlic08
08-02-2017, 17:11
My friend Pickle started his TC quest with the AT at age 55, finished six years later on the CDT. Then he re-hiked the AT with me when he was 64. He's still hiking avidly at age 72. No more thru hikes since he got married five years ago, though.

Gambit McCrae
08-02-2017, 17:22
Especially with todays light packs, 55 is young for the hiking world.

saltysack
08-02-2017, 19:18
Are there any modern era triple crowners who started hiking on the triple crown after the age of 55 years old? (AT, PCT, CDT)

Planning ahead are ya? Empty nest going to take a new meaning at my house in about 6-8 years before I'm 50....[emoji3]

ScareBear
08-02-2017, 20:42

It all depends on the person. Don't discount the toll arthritis and injury have taken on folks at that age. And, don't be so sure that everyone will be physically able to do LD hiking at age 65 when they retire. The truth is, probably less than half are physically capable at age 65 and no amount of exercise will change that. Diseases and injuries will have taken their permanent toll on the unfortunate half.

Moral? Enjoy life while you can, no matter your age. If your plan is to wait, you might want to rethink that plan, IMHO...

Malto
08-02-2017, 20:42

I figure that's about when I hit will hit my prime. 3 years to go.

Slo-go'en
08-02-2017, 22:30
If your fit and have no medical issues, then it's just a matter of time, money and will.

DownEaster
08-03-2017, 01:02
And, don't be so sure that everyone will be physically able to do LD hiking at age 65 when they retire.
Why assume retirement is at 65? I'm planning to hike the AT next year when I'm 62.

Leo L.
08-03-2017, 03:38
Up to my limited experience, the older a person is, the better suited for endurance stuff.
OK, personally I have been hiking or been outdoors pretty much all my life, so I'm quite in shape.
But this is just one side, the other side being the mental thing.
When I was younger I was too ambitious, speedy and unrestful to do "just walking" for days, weeks and months.
Now at 60 I'm more ready for LD hiking.
Just need to take extra care about my body, to not overdo it. Recovery takes much longer than when being young.

ScottTrip
08-03-2017, 09:47
I did the AT at 56.... PCT is next.

cecenj
08-03-2017, 14:19
Medicare Pastor began as a 60-year-old and is closing in on the Triple Crown at 76. In between she's hiked the Caminos and a large chunk of the ADT. Really nice journals: http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/572661

QiWiz
08-03-2017, 14:48
Yes; I know one - Handlebar; did the AT and then PCT, each in one hiking season, then the CDT over 3 hiking seasons as I recall. He began AT at 60, PCT at 62, and CDT at 64-67. Definitely doable. Subsequently he has kept on hiking fairly long trail chunks just about every year. Did the AZT, CT, etc recently. He has journals at http://www.trailjournals.com/handlebar if you want to read them.

peakbagger
08-03-2017, 16:18
I seem to remember the trailcast podcast interviewed a couple from California who did the Triple Crown and the east to west ADT ? trail. It was all the more interesting as the wife had never hiked or backpacked until she sot the big after retirement.

Just Bill
08-03-2017, 17:05
I figure that's about when I hit will hit my prime. 3 years to go.

Yar... I'm looking for you to start ripping off some FKT's come 2020.

Just Bill
08-03-2017, 17:20

Much like returning vets... I think promoting LD hiking to you decrepit old folks is about one of the best things that one could do.

My mom is nearing retirement at age 67 and I am working on getting her to do it.
The advantages are massive both on trail and off- cheap living, better health (lower insurance costs), new activities, perspectives, and interactions with younger people.
Not to mention it's a pretty sweet and realistic fitness program for many to shake off years of sitting on your ask in a cube. It could really jumpstart many folks lives for the better and energize them to enjoy life.

I would imagine with the boomers hitting that certain age... you'll see many of them on our trails... and there is no real physical reason not to expect them to do well.
Of all the outdoor activities you could do- walking is the most reasonable and realistic.

That said- much like current LD hikers get alphabet soup tunnel vision- I would imagine if simply thought more in terms of backpacking than triple crowning that more would enjoy it.

Is hiking the 500 miles of AT from border to border in VA any less of a hike than THRU-HIKING the 273 mile long trail?
Am I awesome because I THRU HIKED a 120 mile XYZ trail or did a 3 month 900 mile section of the PCT?

Why a triple crown? If a retired person could do a 4-6 week hike (of any duration, on any trail) once or twice a year that would be pretty amazing. Even a two week trip.
Sometimes it's best to have a lofty goal... sometimes if the goal is too high right off the bat you don't get anywhere at all.

Just go hike, or canoe, or RV, or car camp- or whatever.
I grew up thinking the BIG trails were a big deal. They were things that sponsored professionals and dreamers did.
Yes that has changed, and in many ways a LD hike is one of the easiest trips you can do these days... but I still think you should work up to it.

double d
08-03-2017, 17:30
That is a great question, but I think anyone can hike the triple three if they have the time, some funding and the physical ability to do so.

Turk6177
08-03-2017, 18:36
I agree about getting out there regardless of whether or not it is a thru hike. I also think it would be nice to meet the challenges that come along with attempting to thru hike the big 3 in one season each. It is just a different approach. If the body can't handle it, then it will have to be done as a lasher, that's all.

Spirit Walker
08-04-2017, 12:28
My husband hiked the AT at 52, the CDT at 59, PCT at 60, CDT again at 66, and the GDT at 67. A knee replacement that went bad has kept us from doing any other long hikes, though we did about 600 miles on the PCT after the surgery.

Peakbagger: you're probably thinking of Ken and Marcia "Gottawalk" Powers.

Spirit Walker
08-04-2017, 12:31
My husband hiked the AT at 52, the CDT at 59, PCT at 60, CDT again at 66, and the GDT at 67. A knee replacement that went bad has kept us from doing any other long hikes, though we did about 600 miles on the PCT after the surgery.

Peakbagger: you're probably thinking of Ken and Marcia "Gottawalk" Powers.

One issue for older hikers is the AT is very hard on the knees. The other trails not so much. The steep rocky trail can be very painful for older joints. It also takes longer for older hikers to heal from tendonitis, etc.

jimmyjam
08-04-2017, 13:39
I think Gadget has hiked all 3.